Hammocks

• HTML tutorial

Steve Erickson

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Minneapolis, MN
Member #

The Outback Swag can be used on a cot or on the ground. It has a mattress in it. I have laid in it in the house but have not used it in the wild yet.

Steve Erickson

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Minneapolis, MN
Member #

WAIT WAIT WAIT. You think ground pounding will be more comfortable than the hammock??? Let us know what you think, but cool tent for car camping. But....
20lbs for a 1 man bivy tent, even with a UL bag that thing is a dam brick. So be it canvas is heavy duty, but the non freestanding tube shaped nature of it means when it gets loaded with snow, it will compress and likely collapse on to you.
7ft, by 3ft, by 2.5ft dimensions. And still 20lbs! I cant get over this. And that does not included sleeping bag....

My Kifaru 8 man Tipi, large stove, Exped Downmat 9, And Kifaru 0* regulator bag (with stuff sack) weighs in at 20.3lbs. I have used this setup to below 0 with no worries. Best part, the tipi is 18ft by 15ft, by 8.5ft. I have had 3 full grown guys, all our gear, a big pile of wood for the stove and still had room to shower in it I have used it for weeks at a time. I would take this cold weather palace of awesome over a bivy or similar weight any day of the week. More so that I have had 6inches of snow fall overnight and the thing did not give a flying rats rear.

Here are some photos of that setup. And I will say it after spending $1800 on this setup. Yes, sleeping in a hammock is more comfortable.
https://flic.kr/p/az5wtP
https://flic.kr/p/az5wyV
https://flic.kr/p/az8anA

Hope these work. Im using my old flickr account.

that is a sweet tent.

Steve Erickson

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Minneapolis, MN
Member #

WAIT WAIT WAIT. You think ground pounding will be more comfortable than the hammock??? Let us know what you think, but cool tent for car camping. But....
20lbs for a 1 man bivy tent, even with a UL bag that thing is a dam brick. So be it canvas is heavy duty, but the non freestanding tube shaped nature of it means when it gets loaded with snow, it will compress and likely collapse on to you.
7ft, by 3ft, by 2.5ft dimensions. And still 20lbs! I cant get over this. And that does not included sleeping bag....

My Kifaru 8 man Tipi, large stove, Exped Downmat 9, And Kifaru 0* regulator bag (with stuff sack) weighs in at 20.3lbs. I have used this setup to below 0 with no worries. Best part, the tipi is 18ft by 15ft, by 8.5ft. I have had 3 full grown guys, all our gear, a big pile of wood for the stove and still had room to shower in it I have used it for weeks at a time. I would take this cold weather palace of awesome over a bivy or similar weight any day of the week. More so that I have had 6inches of snow fall overnight and the thing did not give a flying rats rear.

Here are some photos of that setup. And I will say it after spending $1800 on this setup. Yes, sleeping in a hammock is more comfortable.
https://flic.kr/p/az5wtP
https://flic.kr/p/az5wyV
https://flic.kr/p/az8anA

Hope these work. Im using my old flickr account.

For the record I really do like my hammock tent.

CapeFearXJ00

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Wilmington NC, US
Member #

IMG_20170128_174034925.jpg IMG_20170115_101049115.jpg IMG_20170115_101049115.jpg I Love my hammock system, its lightweight, compact, and basically a recliner you can take anywhere! you definitely need a sleeping pad underneath you if you dont want to freeze, hammocks are breathable and all insulation qualities of your sleeping bag are compromised underneath you when you lay on it.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL

CapeFearXJ00

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Wilmington NC, US
Member #

What system is that? It looks great!
Its a Grand Trunk Hammock with Grand Trunk straps, and a cheapo tarp i got from Dicks! the trick is just learning how to hang everything. if your'e thinking of getting a hammock, GET GRAND TRUNK STRAPS! The ENO straps are vastly inferior to the Grand Trunk ones. The Grand Trunk straps have 2x the attachment points and that makes a huge difference!

Eastern Cape Overland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cape Hatteras
Member #

I used to hammock a lot on the AT. Sorry super old pic. Calf mnt in Shenandoah nat park. Grand trunk Hammock and original ropes and equinox tarp.
I used this as a light weight backpacking setup. 100 miles 7 days 24lbs with food plenty of water in park. Overland setup solo is hammock between trees with awning over it. camp @ calf mtn..JPG

Last edited:

Caretaker

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Member #

I almost always use my hammock if the weather is nice or just barely raining, RTTs are a little too pricey for my blood...(sarcasm). I ordered one a hammock off amazon for $20 and bought some eno straps to rig it up to the trees. I bought a surplus GI Poncho and use that for a tarp. It's just big enough to cover the ends of the hammock and leave enough room to cover my bag, boots, etc. I'll get a pic of it next time I'm using it.

Eastern Cape Overland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cape Hatteras
Member #

P1010244.JPG
P1010245.JPG
Whoah, that tarp is gigantic! i could use that much space over my hammock!
Its an 8'x10'. Its really nice to have the room in bad weather. This was in pisgah 5 day fly fishing trip in august on lost cove creek. Thunderstorms every evening. It makes a really nice tent if I camp on a bald.

Last edited:

lucas9314

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

I have a Grand Trunk -Skeeter Beater and I love it. I use the mounting point in my truck bed as a second "tree" if there aren't any others around, plus I can set up basically however I want when using my truck as one anchor point.

OB 0343

nudavinci64

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Shopshear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KM6LUN GMRS: WRJN599
Why did I not see this earlier??? Prior to owning the X, my outdoor adventures were via my feet packing the crap in. Over the last 20 years I changed ALOT of my kit out, but for the last 8 years, one thing has stayed. The hammock. I started simple enough a Hennessy hammock. But after the first few uses I found anything below 70 sucks in it. So I went with insulation. Jacks r better, 30* top and under quilt. Great setup for 7 of the 12 months here. In the winter however I would always hunker down in a Kifaru shelter with stove and regulator bags. That is until I found hammock forums and yes, shug. That dude is nuts. Plain and simple.
Anyways, I ended up getting my first winter insulation and tarp. The insulation was a -10F Hammock gear top and bottom quilt, and the tarp a warbonnet superfly. Still using the hennessy hammock, but I had it modified by 2QZQ with a removable bug net, peak bag, and a few other things. Worked great, but I wanted to upgrade the hammock, which warbonnet hooked me up with a XLC dual layer. It has since been modified with whoopie slings and dutch hardware. I also added dutch gear to the insulation and tarp. Took 8 years, 5 different tarps, 2 hammocks, a dozen different setups, but I found what works for me and what I like. My daughter now uses the 2qzq modded hennesy and one of my warbonnet tarps with the JRB insulation as her setup. So its still seeing use. but she is limited to about 40 in it.

A few things, get a nice beenie, ever with nice insulation your head will get cold. Practice getting situation. As dumb as this sounds, nothing destroys a good night sleep like having to tweak your setup when the sun is down. Learn to do it 2nd nature and great, amazing sleep will follow. I sleep better in a hammock than I did at home so for about a year when the girl left me I actually mounted points in the bedroom to hang the hammock. they are still there and Ive used them a few time even after she came back....

Hope your trip goes well and please give a trip report, but here are some of my hammock photos to give ideas.

My go to showing the amazing hammock gear insulation on a solo hike to desolation lake. I was the only fool out there, temps were just around 0.

The hennessy with warbonnet extras.

The old setup... still great however.

I picked up a hammock recently but man this one is sweet. I really like how it covers all around if needed. May have to swap mine out.

Reactions: utspoolup

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

After completing my taxes, and knowing that I won't owe money this year, I finally pulled the trigger on a Warbonnet Superfly tarp to go over my hammock. I'll get some pictures once I receive it. I also upgraded my ridgeline with Dutchware's ridgeline kit and ordered a cuben fiber sleeve for the tarp.

Reactions: Railman and Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I also upgraded my ridgeline with Dutchware's ridgeline kit
I had a whoopee sling, and it didn't seem to work with getting the right hang for my old back. I'm going to have to try again. Maybe it is just the cut of the hammock.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I had a whoopee sling, and it didn't seem to work with getting the right hang for my old back. I'm going to have to try again. Maybe it is just the cut of the hammock.
The recommended length for your ridge line is 83% the length of your hammock. I haven't had to play around with adjusting, and have found the whoopies for a ridge line to be overkill. A good cord that doesn't stretch should do you. I use 300lb spectre fishing line. Light and strong.

Check out some of the hammock sites or YouTube videos on fine tuning your lay. Always hate to hear when someone's having trouble settling into their hammock. I'll still tarp camp from time to time and whenever I do I swear I'll never do it again. The hammock is just too comfortable. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Good luck.
Thanks! I need to spend more time trial and erring the adjustments. I've watched several videos, and read through a lot of the posts on Hammock Forums. I just have a light double recreation hammock from JB's Outdoor Supply. Maybe it is the cut, or that it is made as a double, but I can't avoid getting really tight material right in the center and floppy edges. Laying diagonal, I'm more arched up in the middle than feet and head up.