Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

I keep a strap wrapped to my roof rack almost all of the time, makes it easy to connect the hammock between a tree and my suv in less than 20 seconds. The past 4 or 5 trips I have been on I have slept in my hammock, rocks me right to sleep every time.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Why did I not see this earlier??? Prior to owning the X, my outdoor adventures were via my feet packing the crap in. Over the last 20 years I changed ALOT of my kit out, but for the last 8 years, one thing has stayed. The hammock. I started simple enough a Hennessy hammock. But after the first few uses I found anything below 70 sucks in it. So I went with insulation. Jacks r better, 30* top and under quilt. Great setup for 7 of the 12 months here. In the winter however I would always hunker down in a Kifaru shelter with stove and regulator bags. That is until I found hammock forums and yes, shug. That dude is nuts. Plain and simple.
Anyways, I ended up getting my first winter insulation and tarp. The insulation was a -10F Hammock gear top and bottom quilt, and the tarp a warbonnet superfly. Still using the hennessy hammock, but I had it modified by 2QZQ with a removable bug net, peak bag, and a few other things. Worked great, but I wanted to upgrade the hammock, which warbonnet hooked me up with a XLC dual layer. It has since been modified with whoopie slings and dutch hardware. I also added dutch gear to the insulation and tarp. Took 8 years, 5 different tarps, 2 hammocks, a dozen different setups, but I found what works for me and what I like. My daughter now uses the 2qzq modded hennesy and one of my warbonnet tarps with the JRB insulation as her setup. So its still seeing use. but she is limited to about 40 in it.

A few things, get a nice beenie, ever with nice insulation your head will get cold. Practice getting situation. As dumb as this sounds, nothing destroys a good night sleep like having to tweak your setup when the sun is down. Learn to do it 2nd nature and great, amazing sleep will follow. I sleep better in a hammock than I did at home so for about a year when the girl left me I actually mounted points in the bedroom to hang the hammock. they are still there and Ive used them a few time even after she came back....

Hope your trip goes well and please give a trip report, but here are some of my hammock photos to give ideas.

My go to showing the amazing hammock gear insulation on a solo hike to desolation lake. I was the only fool out there, temps were just around 0.

The hennessy with warbonnet extras.

The old setup... still great however.
I'm thinking about getting the Superfly tarp. I'm actually waiting for the new camo design to come back into stock.

E

expeditionnorth

I keep a strap wrapped to my roof rack almost all of the time, makes it easy to connect the hammock between a tree and my suv in less than 20 seconds. The past 4 or 5 trips I have been on I have slept in my hammock, rocks me right to sleep every time.
I agree, its so relaxing
I've gotten funny looks either they understand or dont

Reactions: anotherJeep

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

image.jpeg image.jpeg Saw one of these for the first time last weekend. Cross between a hammock an a tent and can sleep two people. Apparently very comfortable.

Reactions: expeditionnorth

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Those things are cool. Been following them on insta for a bit. Never actually seen someone with one though. I think the company i follow is tentsile? Tenstile? Something like that. Did you try it out?
Yes, this one is from Tentsile. Didn't get to use it as it was a demo by the seller http://the-overlander.myshopify.com/collections/tree-tents/products/connect-tree-tent but seemed like it would be very comfy from the little I did try it. Not sure how I felt about the big ring in the middle that you can tie yourself in to ... no rolling out in the night!!

E

expeditionnorth

with field day weekend tomorrow I have 2 friends who are going to try out my spare hammocks

we'll see if I get any converts & some pics later

BTodd

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

South Weber, UT
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Todd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
TBD
I went on a 5 day backpacking trip through Yosemite, and instead of taking a tent, for the first time I took a hammock with an under quilt. I have never slepped better camping in my life. Not only was back in great shape in the morning, but I was warm all through the night (30 degrees). Naturally, I ditched the tents all together. After having one trip without trees, I got a ENO car stand. My kids (small) sleep on an air mattress in the back of the Sequoia, while the wife and I sleep in our own hammock.

If you haven't tried out a hammock, you won't regret it.

Here's the link to the car stand:
https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/ENO-ROADIE.html

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I went on a 5 day backpacking trip through Yosemite, and instead of taking a tent, for the first time I took a hammock with an under quilt. I have never slepped better camping in my life. Not only was back in great shape in the morning, but I was warm all through the night (30 degrees). Naturally, I ditched the tents all together. After having one trip without trees, I got a ENO car stand. My kids (small) sleep on an air mattress in the back of the Sequoia, while the wife and I sleep in our own hammock.

If you haven't tried out a hammock, you won't regret it.

Here's the link to the car stand:
https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/ENO-ROADIE.html
I've seen the roadie stand before. Cool piece of kit when you don't have anywhere to hang from.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

The biggest thing for me was the (for lack of a better word) fear of going without a tent for the first time. Would I find two solid points to tie my hammock to? Would I be comfortable for a couple of nights? Would I be secure, and not turn into a bear burrito? How will it work in poor weather conditions? And so on...

After all of those thoughts were quashed, I love my hammock for camping. I use an ENO Double Nest with their bug screen and a slightly larger sil-tarp. Haven't been disappointed yet!

Reactions: Crispy

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Yes, this one is from Tentsile. Didn't get to use it as it was a demo by the seller http://the-overlander.myshopify.com/collections/tree-tents/products/connect-tree-tent but seemed like it would be very comfy from the little I did try it. Not sure how I felt about the big ring in the middle that you can tie yourself in to ... no rolling out in the night!!
I just stumbled across these tents. The setup doesn't seem to bad, though you have to make sure you center the tent. another option to consider now!

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Reactions: Crispy

Steve Erickson

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Minneapolis, MN
Member #

I have a hammock tent and use it on occasions when I do not have my trailer with me. I recently got an Outback Swag and I am looking forward to trying it out. I think it would be a bit more comfortable than the hammock.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I have a hammock tent and use it on occasions when I do not have my trailer with me. I recently got an Outback Swag and I am looking forward to trying it out. I think it would be a bit more comfortable than the hammock.
WAIT WAIT WAIT. You think ground pounding will be more comfortable than the hammock??? Let us know what you think, but cool tent for car camping. But....
20lbs for a 1 man bivy tent, even with a UL bag that thing is a dam brick. So be it canvas is heavy duty, but the non freestanding tube shaped nature of it means when it gets loaded with snow, it will compress and likely collapse on to you.
7ft, by 3ft, by 2.5ft dimensions. And still 20lbs! I cant get over this. And that does not included sleeping bag....

My Kifaru 8 man Tipi, large stove, Exped Downmat 9, And Kifaru 0* regulator bag (with stuff sack) weighs in at 20.3lbs. I have used this setup to below 0 with no worries. Best part, the tipi is 18ft by 15ft, by 8.5ft. I have had 3 full grown guys, all our gear, a big pile of wood for the stove and still had room to shower in it I have used it for weeks at a time. I would take this cold weather palace of awesome over a bivy or similar weight any day of the week. More so that I have had 6inches of snow fall overnight and the thing did not give a flying rats rear.

Here are some photos of that setup. And I will say it after spending $1800 on this setup. Yes, sleeping in a hammock is more comfortable.
https://flic.kr/p/az5wtP
https://flic.kr/p/az5wyV
https://flic.kr/p/az8anA

Hope these work. Im using my old flickr account.