Hammocks

• HTML tutorial

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Thanks! I need to spend more time trial and erring the adjustments.
Your welcome to reach out if you don't feel like you're getting anywhere. I've built 20+ hammock setups for other folks and built all of my and my family's setups. You buy the materials and I'm happy to help you get a setup going. Just one wheeler offering to help another. I've had lots of folks help me to know my jeep better, kind of a pay it forward thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crispy and Steve

MarlinJames

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
Marlin
Last Name
Lawrenson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K17WRA
Here's what I've done. Sometimes you just don't have the trees. I bought a steal frame at Home Depot for around 100 bucks. It comes in 8 pieces and just slides together no bolts or nuts. It's kind of heavy but I'm not backpacking with it. Here is a link from Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Algoma-15-ft-Tri-Beam-Metal-Hammock-Stand-Beige-4780BC/204359765?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sHDnNwgmq|dc_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_55777200946_pkw__pmt__product_204359765_slid_&gclid=CO6P-4XhrdMCFQ50fgodrysKTw
20170401_174715.jpg

Reactions: Ubiety

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

My wife and I have hammock camped for the last few years now. I still own a tent, but haven't used it in about 3 years. I do use my Tentcot when I camp on the islands, as there are no trees or anything. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and she has the Warbonnet Ridgerunner (bridge hammock). Both are extremely comfortable.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB member #4392

Reactions: Crispy

txjeeper

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
I have been hammock camping for the past few years. I normally toss and turn a lot but don't have any issues in a hammock due to it not putting any pressure on your pressure points. Just make sure your hammock is long enough, at least 10.5 feet, have enough sag, 30 degrees, and sleep on an angle. I definitely recommend making your own great if you have access to a thread injector. I was able to make a complete ultralight setup for under $300 and you can easily do it for less if you aren't winter camping or need an ultralight setup .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
I used a hammock rig for a year or so when I lived back in Florida. I stopped when one day after an overnighter an eight inch thick branch fell over where I slept the night before . I would avoid hammocking under oak trees as you cannot visually tell when a branch is rotten inside. Now that I am on the west coast with all the pines I need to pickup another Warbonnet.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Would a tent fair any better? IMHO with a hammock you're at la least paying attention to the trees around you. If a big one is going to fall, and you're in the area not sure what's going to save you other than St Christopher and s bit of luck. Your beliefs may vary. :)

83 Beast

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arizona
Member #

I'm sorry if this was already mentioned (I didn't see it at least). I'm too new to post pics, but there is a device that you drive over and use the weight of your vehicle to hold you. Then from the two bases that are under your tires, there are poles that extend to hold your hammock. I have been wanting to make a set of those for some time now (I live in an area where your rig is usually larger than the "trees" where you want to camp). The ENO Roadie Hammock Stand is one of them. I though I would just throw that out there... :)

Cros

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

VA
Member #

I prefer to use a hammock when it's hot out. I always carry my hammock, a bug net, and a rain fly, in addition to my ground tent.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I bought a steal frame at Home Depot
I have a similar frame leftover from a previous backyard hammock and have used it overlanding and it was great - except for the 30 degree freezing my butt off all night thing :) My mates dubbed it "the frozen taco".
I always carry a hammock in case a day time nap occurs, but typically sleep on a cot under the stars.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

We pack one for lounging around camp, but I don't think it's comfortable enough or warm enough for me to sleep in.
Sorry to hear that. I find the hammock to be the most comfortable sleep I've had in the outdoors, and plenty warm as well. I'm in NC and have slept in 12 degree weather and been warm. There's definitely some tricks to hammocking, but a little time spent on YouTube or reading through forums will get you up to speed. Good luck.

Reactions: Kevin108

Cros

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

VA
Member #

One thing I left out that I want to mention is, it can be a pain to get up to pee.

I use a sleeping bag, hammock, and bug net.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Brewbud and brianb2

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

One thing I left out that I want to mention is, it can be a pain to get up to pee.
Yeah, that is one dis-advantage to hammocking. The way you hang with your feet slightly elevated puts pressure on your kidneys in a way they're not used to. Just means you get an opportunity to get up and check out the stars again. One tip, don't zip up your sleeping bag. Instead just use it as a blanket to pull over you. You'll need something underneath you if you do, but a simple camping pad works fine until you want to start looking into things like underquilts. There's also lots of creative ways to dealing with not getting out of your hammock, but I don't mind getting up. Good luck.

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

You need to get the right droop to the hammock, lay sideways for a flatter position. You will want an underquilt for warmth, sleeping bags will be flat under you and ruin any type of insulation. You get what you pay for but I would get a cheaper one just to try it out they have their weaknesses. Of course you need trees to hang from which can create a problem and some campgrounds wont let you hang anything from trees. Warbonnet would be ideal if you like sleeping in a hammock. I hammock camped while I was bicycle touring and loved it but stayed one night in an area without the right trees so I have since gone back to ground camping. Just some input.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Anybody here use hammocks instead of tents? What are your pro's and con's? I've always used a tent because there's the dog, wife, kiddo, and myself to shelter, but I'm going on a solo trip for 10 days and have been exploring the idea of hammock camping.
I do a bit of bikepacking, and I love taking my hammock along. It's definitely lighter and saves a ton of space. I use an ENO DoubleNest hammock. I like how it cradles me with the taller sides. I would recommend that with a set of the XL straps, a bug net, and a tarp to cover you. Always prepare for colder temps as you will sleep cooler in a hammock.