Hammocks

• HTML tutorial

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

After completing my taxes, and knowing that I won't owe money this year, I finally pulled the trigger on a Warbonnet Superfly tarp to go over my hammock. I'll get some pictures once I receive it. I also upgraded my ridgeline with Dutchware's ridgeline kit and ordered a cuben fiber sleeve for the tarp.
I have the superfly and love it also!

Reactions: Crispy

MAC-GEAR

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florida
When in the woods I only use hammocks, now obviously when not hiking a foot and in the overland vehicle a RTT is choice. I've joined the hammock craze in 2013 I loved it so much I started a company based solely off just that hammock camping wont promote easy to find. Anyhow I have slept in a hammock in snow, rain, sleet you name it and never didn't love it. There are many systems but some knowledge points for beginers

1. Choose a hammock with a bug net
2. Make it easy to deploy IE some kind of packing skins
3. Use tree straps or if possible part of your rig to mount to save the trees we need them
4. If you like a firm mattress a trick to do with a hammock is to put a nice sleeping pad in the hammock one that's 2.5 inches or thicker.
5. Don't try to use your awning as rain protection as it wont cover you right and rain will soak you use a rainfly or tarp for hammocks
6. If you don't use a decent sleeping pad get an underquilt as your backside will get cold when your body compresses your sleeping bag.
7. Last do your research if you might go hiking by foot buy an ultralight set up from the get go

Lastly if you want to know more or anything else let me know I'll have an answer.
MAC GEAR hammock and fly (3).jpg

Reactions: Crispy

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

When in the woods I only use hammocks, now obviously when not hiking a foot and in the overland vehicle a RTT is choice. I've joined the hammock craze in 2013 I loved it so much I started a company based solely off just that hammock camping wont promote easy to find. Anyhow I have slept in a hammock in snow, rain, sleet you name it and never didn't love it. There are many systems but some knowledge points for beginers

3. Use tree straps or if possible part of your rig to mount to save the trees we need them
4. If you like a firm mattress a trick to do with a hammock is to put a nice sleeping pad in the hammock one that's 2.5 inches or thicker.
5. Don't try to use your awning as rain protection as it wont cover you right and rain will soak you use a rainfly or tarp for hammocks
6. If you don't use a decent sleeping pad get an underquilt as your backside will get cold when your body compresses your sleeping bag.
7. Last do your research if you might go hiking by foot buy an ultralight set up from the get go

Lastly if you want to know more or anything else let me know I'll have an answer.
View attachment 32515
Sweet Ultralight setup!

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

View attachment 32515
all great advice! What is your hammock related company?
I can't wait to get out and do some actual camping in my set up. So far I have slept in my yard and at my camping club with my 20 ft TT right next to me. I did sleep out side the house this winter in 14 degree weather and was toasty worm with my 20 degree under quilt/topquilt.

MAC-GEAR

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florida
all great advice! What is your hammock related company?
I can't wait to get out and do some actual camping in my set up. So far I have slept in my yard and at my camping club with my 20 ft TT right next to me. I did sleep out side the house this winter in 14 degree weather and was toasty worm with my 20 degree under quilt/topquilt.
Railman its my user name don't want to break any rules listing my site Im new to OB and forums became a member etc but want to become a big contributor to the whole cause, as it's a child hood passion of mine to explore and walk the woods.

I will say as a company we are working on a ultralight foot print that will utilize your rig to establish a hammock mounting system and avoid needing trees.

Lake Tahoe testing of our gear all of it is things we make and carry

20170329_164654.jpg

Last edited:

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

IMG_0595.JPG
Railman its my user name don't want to break any rules listing my site Im new to OB and forums became a member etc but want to become a big contributor to the whole cause, as it's a child hood passion of mine to explore and walk the woods.

I will say as a company we are working on a ultralight foot print that will utilize your rig to establish a hammock mounting system and avoid needing trees.
That will be awesome. This is how I hung last weekend at our camper. Its called a turtle dog stand. It's made from fence top post and 2x2's for the legs. I got the idea from a hammock forum I am on. I was trying to think how to adapt this to fit into my TJ or the trailer I am going to bolt for all my gear. For those times when there are not trees.

MAC-GEAR

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florida
Railman I can remake your design to work and will fit into your rig it will fully pack down into a bag about the size as the maxtraxx bag. Ill make it in next two weeks do a video you can let me know what you think of it. FYI it wont have any materials that will rot or corrode effecting longevity

Reactions: brianb2

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

Railman I can remake your design to work and will fit into your rig it will fully pack down into a bag about the size as the maxtraxx bag. Ill make it in next two weeks do a video you can let me know what you think of it. FYI it wont have any materials that will rot or corrode effecting longevity
Can't wait to see that! Packable, light weight, long-lasting .......win, win, win!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've been using a hammock for a couple years now, but usually when I'm without the family. I just received a 2nd hammock to set up for my oldest daughter (or really all three of them). Now she can go with me on trips and I don't have to drag along the 4 man tent and everything to go with them.

I'm going to help her build the whoopie slings tomorrow evening and get it rigged up then we're planning on going to try them out Saturday at a campground near the house. I'm thinking about adding an adjustable ridgeline to my setup to play with my angles some and get a better feel for it.

I use the Etowah Outfitter's 10' x 12' "bushcraft" style tarp with a Yukon double parachute hammock. I have been using a Thermarest Scout air pad with a Eddie Bauer mummy bag and I've found that I've been getting too hot in it. I'm going to need a lighter bag for the summer or just use my wool blanket single layered in it. I'm interested in trying this setup in cooler weather in the future though. Hopefully this fall but it'll be November before I have the time right now.

JoshD

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AF5RY
Hammocks are kind of a part of all my family's outdoor adventures. Just last weekend while I was working in the yard, my girls decided to setup hammock camp in the front yard. I guess they are trying to tell me something...

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hammocks are kind of a part of all my family's outdoor adventures. Just last weekend while I was working in the yard, my girls decided to setup hammock camp in the front yard. I guess they are trying to tell me something...
I wish I had trees in the yard close enough to hang my hammock from.

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

Mag-gear, any progress on this?

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

IMG_4295.JPG
I actually installed one in my youngest's room. He slept 3 straight months in it. I installed some Amsteel loops in a stud on two walls using 3 inch screws and fender washers. Works like a charm!