Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I have both HAM and GMRS in my rigs, only because I travel with groups that use one or the other. I have a SpotX for emergency communication.
I could have used a CB to monitor logging activity in Montana and Wyoming on my recent Continental Divide Trip.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
My dad and I are split on this. He is an old ham K0AJ and I am a big GMRS guy WRME413 / ATL-699. He says ham is better and that I am just being lazy for not taking the test. I tell him that GMRS is more accessible and all the overlanders I know use it. He says HAM has way more repeaters. I say North Georgia GMRS has the largest GMRS repeater network in the country (because we are awesome!)

I want to know what you think and why. Vote for your preferred platform and tell me why it is the best option for you.
The best one is whatever the most other people you want to communicate with are using. That can be CB, HAM, FRS, GMRS, Cell, etc. Thinking there is only one is myopic.

cigarsnjeeps

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Smithville, TX, USA
First Name
Kerry
Last Name
Phillips
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5KDP
I prefer ham (W5KDP) but mainly for the variety of frequencies and uses. I use varying function on ham that aren't available on GMRS (APRS for example which is used for tracking and can also be used for messaging when phone service isn't available). I also enjoy doing remote activations where I set up my radio, battery, and antenna and see how far I can reach out (Europe, South America, etc). It's fun sitting around at night and talking to someone in Europe on 15 watts (or less).

Reactions: M Rose