Ground, Cot or Air Mattress: Make and model please.

• HTML tutorial

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

It looks like Camp TIme has several new cots designed to be used with air mattresses, I think these would be worth laying on. I agree that air mattresses can be a pain, I had one go flat on me at the bottom of the Grand Canyon once. They are not fun to fix in the field although it is possible.

Maybe someone who has access to these can chime in?

Green polyester Ibex Roll-a-Cot®, 74"L x 28"W x 15"H with sleeve for your air mattress

View attachment 37490
The slide in air matress seems like a solution looking for a problem. Why not just lay a standard sleeping pad on top?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Because some of us like to spin and toss.

My GF says I like to beat her with my Thermarest while I'm asleep. I rarely wake up completely on it.

I use a Trest Expedition, and a Z fold foam pad.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Because some of us like to spin and toss.

My GF says I like to beat her with my Thermarest while I'm asleep. I rarely wake up completely on it.

I use a Trest Expedition, and a Z fold foam pad.
Weird, my mat stays in place and I toss and turn like mad.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Just tested out using 2 Big Agnes 25x78 air mats side by side with the other half. "Lashed" them together simply by using a queen size fitted sheet and it seemed to work well. We had an air core and a q-core deluxe. The other half wasn't a huge fan of these mats, but I suspect that was due to not having her air pressure dialed in for her liking. I slept well with mine. I wouldn't say not to any additional foam padding, but having a sleeping bag or blanket as another layer will definitely help. The fitted sheet definitely helps with keeping the air mats clean and more protected.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
To each his own but I have been using a Camp Time Roll-a-Cot for 20+ years and can set it up and take it down in about 2 minutes. I find it extremely comfortable. I use a sleeping pad on top of it. I am not sure what you mean by twisting the aluminum tubing together. Stand up, hold the cot vertical, and the tubing just slides into place.

Instructions link here with a video. I don't know why they don't show the standup, let it slide method, but it works better than trying to slide the pieces together when it is on the ground.

Fair enough; they were always a pain getting them to slide together easily, especially in sub freezing temps. We gave them to the kids, and now the grandkids use them. Our Easy Cots are up in the barn as we no longer use cots. The RTT mattress is the best sleep I’ve ever had while out and about

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

For you tent campers out there I am curious as to what you use to get you and your companions off the ground. I have been using a Thermarest back packing mattress am am thinking of moving to a cot but before I do I would like to get some other opinions.

or

plus in XL

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

For you tent campers out there I am curious as to what you use to get you and your companions off the ground. I have been using a Thermarest back packing mattress am am thinking of moving to a cot but before I do I would like to get some other opinions.

or

plus one of these in XL

Traveler III

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

or

plus one of these in XL

When I bring my big tent and my cot, it’s the Coleman Comfort folding cot. When we move camp every day I bring my smaller 2 man tent a Coleman single high slim air mattress works well. I do carry two air mattresses in case one pops a leak, but at around $40.00 each not a lot to bring a back up. Both very comfortable to me.