Ground, Cot or Air Mattress: Make and model please.

• HTML tutorial

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

Okay so we are down to two cots. Still working on the sleeping pads but here is the analysis so far.

The cot choices:
Browning Titan Cot XP - This is a big cot, strudy and a little taller so easier to get from sit to stand. Also fairly easy to put together and the price is right at $89 on Amazon. It comes with a carry bag which most do, as well as two side bags for stuff, one of which is removeable and acts as a toiletry bag. Very nice feature. The best feature though is the pocket at the head to be able to stuff it full of a jacket or something to make a pillow. That is genius.

For sleeping pads we are down to 4 choices. The plan is to use the pad with the cot so size is key. It needs to fit within bars of the cot so it stays in shape with the cot with a person on it. I really like the idea of the thermarest but feel it may be too this with the cot so we will most likely go with the Alps mountaineering comfort pads in L as the footprint is perfect for the size of the cots.

1. Thermarest Dreamtime
2. Alps Mountaineering Comfort Pad
3. Kymit Static V

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
When I decided to get off the ground, I picked up a pair of these. So much more comfortable...

View attachment 35210

https://www.byerofmaine.com/products/camp-furniture/maine-military-cot.html
I have one very similar to this. With a thermarest on top it is very comfortable. I have used it as a mobile "guest" bed in a pinch as well. Bulky but very comfortable. For me adding the thermarest is key. Just a basic inflatable one. Makes all of the difference in the world.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This is what I own. Similar to what you have listed and the other one mentioned. Very similar frame style.
TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot; Perfect for Base Camp and Hunting; Cots for Adults; Free Storage Bag Included
by Teton Sports
Link: http://a.co/buqHvDc

It's a bit of a pain to setup because the tension on the fabric is so good. I have to do a leg press to get the 2nd bar on. However super comfy after that. The Main one mentioned uses velcro for the other end to make assembly easier. If that can keep the fabric tight then I think that's a better option.

Reactions: Brandon Harvey

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
We use the therm-a-rest Luxery cot with an REI sleeping pad. Really comfortable setup. Even for me, 6'5" 265lbs... I use additional cross bars, to support my weight on the cot.

Reactions: Mogwai

AlexG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kingsburg, CA
Member #

My outings are usually one nighters and solo trips on the weekends. I will normally carry a cot and a two person pup tent, along with a sleeping bag and pad.
I like the comfort of a cot but find it too large to setup inside most tents. But depending on the area and time of year, I will sleep on a cot out in the open air, and the night sky is awesome.
If I'm in a Squirly area or expecting a cold night. I'll setup up my tent with a sleep bag/pad and bundle myself in.
I won't use the tent unless I feel I need to.
I have looked at a couple of tent-cots but find them to large and bulky in the closed position. But maybe one day.

I use a Rio Adventure Cot that I found at my local Big 5. Its a large size and is barless at the ends.

Attachments

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I'll cast another vote for the Camp Time Roll A Cot. I've sat on a lot of cots trying to find one that doesn't squeak or feel clumsy. A friend introduced me to the Camp Time and I feel they're the best by a margin.

Only other cot I'd be interested in is the Byer of Main Hertiage Cot (wood model) mainly for the aesthetic of it, but performance wise I'm very happy with the Camp Time.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
IMHO I would caution against the use of an air mattress depending on the usage. I spent about a week sleeping in the back of my WJ on my Big Agnes air mattress. The last night it developed a leak. Not sure what it was from but given the type of usage, I can't say I'm surprised. Mu dog was walking all over it so who knows. I'm leaning towards a memory foam type pad for the back of the WJ. Never really needed anything super special when on a cot, but that's due to the built in give of the cot.

Reactions: Sparky

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

It looks like Camp TIme has several new cots designed to be used with air mattresses, I think these would be worth laying on. I agree that air mattresses can be a pain, I had one go flat on me at the bottom of the Grand Canyon once. They are not fun to fix in the field although it is possible.

Maybe someone who has access to these can chime in?

https://www.camptime.com/collections/cots/products/pvc-free-standard-roll-a-cot

CampSpecialtiesIbexW_AirmatJPG_a99818c7-1635-4835-a6cd-00813487432f_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: Brandon Harvey

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I am 6’5” 230 and a side sleeper. Every time I camp, I wake up in the night and I swear my ass weighs 100lbs because it’s ok the ground if I’m on an air mattress, on a bar if it’s a cot or I feel like a folding table if I’m in a hammock. I’m a side sleeper and can’t seem to find anything that works for me. I usually wake up after 2-3 hrs and my lower back is killing me. Then I’m screwed the rest of the night.

Has anyone else worked through a similar scenario and somehow found the perfect elixir or unicorn of Camp beds that solved your problems? I love everything about camping except the sleeping part. So far I’ve tried the double height queen air mattress, a double xl cot, a klymit v air mattress, a hammock and the klymit in a hammock. I am equally miserable in all of them. I will say, I love relaxing in the hammock while I’m awake and I really like cots in a tent because you can store your stuff underneath. Would really appreciate suggestions from any of you who have been there and done that.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I am 6’5” 230 and a side sleeper. Every time I camp, I wake up in the night and I swear my ass weighs 100lbs because it’s ok the ground if I’m on an air mattress, on a bar if it’s a cot or I feel like a folding table if I’m in a hammock. I’m a side sleeper and can’t seem to find anything that works for me. I usually wake up after 2-3 hrs and my lower back is killing me. Then I’m screwed the rest of the night.

Has anyone else worked through a similar scenario and somehow found the perfect elixir or unicorn of Camp beds that solved your problems? I love everything about camping except the sleeping part. So far I’ve tried the double height queen air mattress, a double xl cot, a klymit v air mattress, a hammock and the klymit in a hammock. I am equally miserable in all of them. I will say, I love relaxing in the hammock while I’m awake and I really like cots in a tent because you can store your stuff underneath. Would really appreciate suggestions from any of you who have been there and done that.
I was a stomach side sleeper until I broke my leg a few months ago, been struggling to sleep on my back with the cast so I can commiserate to an extent. In all honestly, there is a significant difference between a roof top tent and all other solutions. The solid, flat bottom of a RTT with a 3" foam mattress is just a huge step up for me. If it will improve your outdoor experience that much it maybe worthwhile investing in one. It's unfortunate how dang expensive they are though. Have you ever laid down in one?

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I was a stomach side sleeper until I broke my leg a few months ago, been struggling to sleep on my back with the cast so I can commiserate to an extent. In all honestly, there is a significant difference between a roof top tent and all other solutions. The solid, flat bottom of a RTT with a 3" foam mattress is just a huge step up for me. If it will improve your outdoor experience that much it maybe worthwhile investing in one. It's unfortunate how dang expensive they are though. Have you ever laid down in one?
No, I haven’t. I think they are really cool but unless I get a trailer to mount one on, I don’t think it’s an option for me. I prefer the idea of being able to set up Camp and leave it for a few days.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Like a few here I have a couple of setups depending if I’m using a ground tent or the roof top. That said my favorite option for a goodnight’s sleep is the Oztent stretcher with a Campmor foam mattress. A bit of a bulky setup but very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

Wife and I use cots with REI 3.5 camp bed on top. Super comfy. I would not recommend relying on an air mattress to worst enemy, burned too many times, waking up on the ground will ruin a trip. Just don't do it haha.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

vidkun

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bentonville, AR
Member #

What about an air mattress/cot combo like this one?

I've been looking for something to up the comfort for wife as well as still being able to still sleep together. Seems like getting the air mattress off the ground and onto a cot would reduce the issues of them getting punctured and whatnot.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
What about an air mattress/cot combo like this one?

I've been looking for something to up the comfort for wife as well as still being able to still sleep together. Seems like getting the air mattress off the ground and onto a cot would reduce the issues of them getting punctured and whatnot.
I've tried the double cot with the air mattress. It is certainly better than just a cot or just an air mattress. The issue that remains though is the air mattress not maintaining air. Two air mattresses tied together somehow would probably work best. Then the person next to you may not have to ride as big of a wave every time you turn over. Cots take up more room in your vehicle but they provide you with more space in your tent since you can slide everything underneath. Unless you just can't get a cot into your vehicle, I don't see a lot of downsides for tent camping.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I still sleep on the ground using a XL therma-rest pad and a long 1/2" thick in Solite pad. Have not found a cot that I sleep well in. The nice thing about using the pads to sleep on, It works for the tent on the ground and in the Jeep or Land cruiser for sleeping in. Benz.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Over the years we made a couple of mistakes with cots.
#1, the traditional inexpensive folding cot. Around $50. 8 0r 9 lbs. Very difficult to pack in. Not very comfortable. Not long enough for my 6' frame. Thankfully the seams began ripping apart after only 2 seasons.
View attachment 35099
#2 We decided to spend the big bucks on the Rol-A-Cot from REI. $150. 12 lbs. They were not all that comfortable. It took longer to set our pair up than it did to pitch the tent. It blackened your hands while twisting the aluminum tubing together. It can get pretty cold lying on synthetic mesh when temps dip into the low teens. We gave the pair to our kids last year after only one 5 week tour. This cot is no longer available and REI should be embarrassed for ever marketing it.
View attachment 35100
Finally a great cot and it doesn't bust your piggy bank. $85 Amazon Prime. 23 lbs. The Byer of Maine Easy Cot is quick and easy to set up, the fabric is comfortable to the touch. The fabric holds heat and keeps cold air at bay. It is very comfortable with my therma-rest pad and comfortable enough without it. The only drawback, because of the steel construction it is a bit heavy, but it is easy for us to sacrifice light weight for comfort. This will be our final cot purchase.
View attachment 35101
when they wear out then we'll be looking for one of these.
View attachment 35102
To each his own but I have been using a Camp Time Roll-a-Cot for 20+ years and can set it up and take it down in about 2 minutes. I find it extremely comfortable. I use a sleeping pad on top of it. I am not sure what you mean by twisting the aluminum tubing together. Stand up, hold the cot vertical, and the tubing just slides into place.

Instructions link here with a video. I don't know why they don't show the standup, let it slide method, but it works better than trying to slide the pieces together when it is on the ground.