Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
This should be fixed. If you received an invite you can RSVP. If you have not and want one please let Neal know.
Now that the RSVP limit has updated accurately, I don't think invites will be a requirement.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Hello all,

It looks like both the National Park, Preserve and adjacent National Forest are under Stage 2 Fire Restriction. This means no camp fires on those below freezing nights. Liquid fueled camp stoves won't be allowed either.

Here is some applicable info:

What do you all think? Do we still want to do this?
@Neal A. Tew

I agree with you on the campfire restriction, but not the camp stove. The exceptions on both articles you linked to state that as long as the source has a shut-off valve, it is exempt from the restriction. My MSR stove is liquid-fueled and meets the restrictions exemptions.

Order # 2019-33
EXCEPT: Devices using pressurized liquid or gas (stoves, grills or lanterns) that include shut-off valves are permitted when used in an area at least three feet or more from flammable material such as grasses or pine needles.

Great Sand Dunes Implements Emergency Fire Restrictions
Exemptions:
2. Persons using devices such as stoves, grills or lanterns with pressurized gas canisters for isobutene or propane that include shut-off valves.

I have a portable propane campfire, (it is not as good as the real thing, but it gives you a flame to look at) that is exempt from the restriction. However, It doesn't bother me if we don't have a campfire, it gives youa reason to go to bed early and get up with the sunrise. :)

What time Friday would you want to start if you attempt Hermit Pass or Cloverdale mine trails?

Charles Drives Things

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

@JCarter, As for Friday I was awaiting feedback to come up with a plan. Do you (or any others) have a preference?

@JeffJeff @Cgtowns01 @VMIguy17 Do you have interest and/or availability for Friday?
I'll have to work friday so I won't get there until late Friday, or I may just leave really early Saturday morning.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I believe I RSVP’d—will see you guys in the AM, Saturday; what time is the departure? @Neal A. Tew

@JCarter - I think check-in worked on my phone. I think.

Yes, you did! Thanks! Tentative departure is 9 AM. Take my number in case you have any delays. I can't remember for sure if there's service there. 719.248.0936

Are you friends with @JeffJeff (Jeff and Lisa)?

SLV Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Monte Vista, CO, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Gefell
Member #

Yeppers...Jeff told me to sign on. Known that chap for over a decade now. 9 should work—we will be leaving Monte in the AM and will need to go Walsenburg then back to you guys. I’ve done that pass a few times, don’t think you’ll have much reception there at basecamp.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Yeppers...Jeff told me to sign on. Known that chap for over a decade now. 9 should work—we will be leaving Monte in the AM and will need to go Walsenburg then back to you guys. I’ve done that pass a few times, don’t think you’ll have much reception there at basecamp.
I'm surprised you're going all the way over to Walsenburg. Is Pass Creek Rd not an option?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hi Neal,
Looking forward to this first off road trip in my 4Runner!
Chuck
We're looking forward to seeing you again! It took me a moment to make the connection.

Where exactly are you coming from? Do you have any availability on Friday?

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
@JCarter, As for Friday I was awaiting feedback to come up with a plan. Do you (or any others) have a preference?

@JeffJeff @Cgtowns01 @VMIguy17 Do you have interest and/or availability for Friday?
@Neal A. Tew I took Friday (10-25-19) off. I can either leave Thursday night and find somewhere close to camp or try and leave early Friday morning (I am not a morning person so it is a high probability I would be running late) if there is enough interest to explore on Friday, otherwise I will wait until the rush hours are over, before I make my way south late Friday morning.

chucktowns

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

Hi Neal,
Looking forward to this first off road trip in my 4Runner!
Chuck
We\'re looking forward to seeing you again! It took me a moment to make the connection.

Where exactly are you coming from? Do you have any availability on Friday?
Hi Neal,
I'll be coming up from Albuquerque Friday, but won't be getting in until later in the afternoon so won't be doing any trails. Can't wait to check it out on Saturday!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Welcome to winter camping; the good news is there will not be any bugs, specifically those dam mosquitos! :)

@Neal A. Tew How of camber is the pass Rd or is it relatively flat?
This road isn't that bad compared to many CO pass roads. There are a few switchbacks right near the beginning and after that it's just a lot of slight grades without much off-camber to the best of my recollection. You're never really exposed to any large drops, just lots of trees.

While I have years of off-road driving experience, almost none of it is in the snow. I need you guys with such experience to make sure we don't get into trouble if we do this. Admittedly I'm apprehensive about taking the stock low-rider.

Is everybody still game if there are several inches of snow?

I'll try to make some calls tomorrow to see what recommendations the Park has. Also, I wonder how strict they'd be on fire restrictions with snow on the ground.

chucktowns

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

Hi Neal,
Hate to act say this, but I think I'm going to back out of this one. Between the weather forecast and the possibility of trail closures, i think I'll wait till next time for this trip. I really am looking forward to trying again when we get a chance.
Thanks,
Chuck T.