Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator Experience?

• HTML tutorial

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Another update...
I got bored running this stuff on the 2 batteries after 12 hours and the batteries still holding @ 12V ! I am amazed and elated that I can get that much run time without the panel even online (as would be after dark). Our needs for power will never exceed what I have seen from this setup. Now I need to figure out how I want to fit this into my jeep whether it is an all in one tote setup , or split it into battery box and power panel. Thinking a tote so I can just load it up and go without having to connect it up each time. Decisions, decisions and weight is the biggest factor. A tote with all will be hell on the back...lol

GypsyTreker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I am getting the Yeti 400 (AGM) and 35ah battery to chain . My question if someone has the answer...can I charge the 400 with my 12v lighter output while having my Dometic CFX 65 plugged into the inverter side?

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Yes, I frequently drive with my 12v plugged into the Yeti while my ARB fridge draws power from it.

GypsyTreker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Excellent! Does the 12v keep up with output? I bought the insulated blanket and testing it in our living room plugged in the green light rarely comes on once its at temp. Do you use A/C or
D/C when plugging in your ARB?

OverlandPros

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have an Extreme350 and also a Yeti 400. I bought the Yeti because I like the display showing input and output and more plugs. I had to replace the battery on my Extreme because I ran my ARB from the Anderson plugs which you are NOT supposed to do since there is no battery protection. I ran it down too many times and killed the battery after a few years. Replacement was like $70 and simple to do. I also run solar (60w powerfilm along with some GZ panels) and with about 100 watts and decent sun, I can remain stationary indefinitely. You can't build a better more compact design on your own for much cheaper. The GZ panels are expensive but you can use other panels and they now have adapters. If you wait for a Costco roadshow, they are about $350.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I've had my 400 for a couple years and it's amazing for weekend adventures on its own or add solar panels for week long plus. Right now the boulder 30 panels are clearances out, grab them while you can.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I've had my 400 for a couple years and it's amazing for weekend adventures on its own or add solar panels for week long plus. Right now the boulder 30 panels are clearances out, grab them while you can.
Where can we find the Boulder 30 panels on clearance?

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Go to goal zero direct. FYI it shows you what NOT to buy. They have metro racks lining the south side of the warehouse. Everything there is clearance, IE referbed. What I seen a ton of... panels. Jesus holy crisco... I think I spotted several dozen panels of all sizes/ types. the next thing was light a life minis. Then a dozen lighthouse 400s. I played with a few and pointed out a defect to many. The knob in the center shows full light with a clockwise rotation, and half light on the CCW rotation. Common sense would have the left side illuminate when half light is selected and it would match the artwork they have stenciled. But no... on 25% the right side illuminated. Backwards of artwork. Stupid, yes. But I bet that is why they were returned.

The other thing I seen on a few trips there were people returning 1250 yetis due to battery issues. I personally seen 4 in 3 trips of people driving in with them. The poor girl (which was dam smoking hot and smart on electrical shiz) said, please don't bring them in, they are to hard to carry, she will just run out to their car and test them then send some guy out with a replacement 100AH battery. So I would avoid the 1250 like the dam plague, mostly due to what I seen, but also due to weight. Holy crickeys batman, 130lbs....

What did I not see, a single 400 anything, and not a sherpa to be had in sight.. I also own a sherpa 100 for charging needs when traveling.

They sold me a yeto 400LI for $300 as a "first time build" the only thing I found different on it was a missing USB port. Hell yes I took it, the only thing I hate.. Li batteries have a voltage of 10.8V, not 12V. So with DC the fridges freak out and go offline for low voltage and for good reason, but I still want a 1400 just for home preparedness as I am a prepared freak, but I do like my 400li and 400 AGM. I personally would take AGM over LI for several reasons (cost, daisy chain, etc). Under my desk I have the 400 AGM and 2 extra 33AH batteries that I use all the dam time. I have ran my camp chef pellet smoker for 6 hours and still had 100% showing, meaning I could use it for cooking if needed, but I would rather use my propane and white gas options first, then dutch ovens second, then grill last. But with 260lbs of pellet, 400lbs of charcoal, 160lbs of propane and 10 gallons of white gas, and last using the solar oven since it takes so long. Im not worried of preparing food during a disaster/ zombie outbreak.