Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator Experience?

• HTML tutorial

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

The yeti 400 only has a 35ah battery. You can build your own setup and use any size battery you want.
35ah...THAT is the spec I was looking for and could not find listed anywhere. No wonder I couldn't find it, its nothing to brag about. I would most likely have to have another battery from the start , no?

All day radio, Minimal Phone/PC Charging, Fridge for 3 days.

I like the looks of this setup from Windy Nation on a 100ah battery?
http://www.windynation.com/Polycrystalline-Solar-Kits/Windy-Nation-Inc/Complete-100-Watt-Solar-Panel-Kit-with-1500W-VertaMax-Power-Inverter-for-12-Volt-Battery-Systems/-/361?p=YzE9NDY=

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Reactions: svitosky

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

The Anker Powerhouse 400 has a 120Ah lithium-ion battery vs. the Goal Zero Yeti's 35 Ah for a similar price. And Anker's solar panels are quite a bit less expensive.

Here's a review I found recently: http://expeditionportal.com/ankers-new-powerhouse-brings-serious-competition-for-goalzero/
I can't comment on that unit, but I can say I've been very happy w/ the quality of my Anker PowerCore and 20 watt folding solar panel.

And only 10 pounds or so? That's pretty impressive...

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

The Anker Powerhouse is slightly more than the Yeti 400, but differences are significant, Anker is the better value, $ for $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
My Yeti 400 has been able to provide 2+ days worth of power to my ARB fridge on an 80+ degree weekend at the NW Overland Rally last summer in Plain, WA. I am also looking for some good solar panels to supplement the Yeti's battery. It seems that Goal Zero's solar panels are a bit overpriced.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I can't comment on that unit, but I can say I've been very happy w/ the quality of my Anker PowerCore and 20 watt folding solar panel.

And only 10 pounds or so? That's pretty impressive...
So what are you powering and for how long with your Powercore if I may ask. I am still not exactly sure what I need for a target wattage amount. I am just thinking...the more the better but $$$$ is important too.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

My Yeti 400 has been able to provide 2+ days worth of power to my ARB fridge on an 80+ degree weekend at the NW Overland Rally last summer in Plain, WA. I am also looking for some good solar panels to supplement the Yeti's battery. It seems that Goal Zero's solar panels are a bit overpriced.
So you charge up the Yeti and go without any other charge? No solar panels yet to recharge or are you charging off your rig every once in a while?

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

So what are you powering and for how long with your Powercore if I may ask. I am still not exactly sure what I need for a target wattage amount. I am just thinking...the more the better but $$$$ is important too.
The PowerCore is just a small cell phone/camera/tablet charger. I can fully charge my (Samsung Galaxy) phone 4 times or so on one charge. It charges my phone substantially faster than even a wall charger...

Anyway, not really comparable to the Yeti or Powerhouse. But, if the Powerhouse is of the same quality as the small unit I have, I'd trust it.

Reactions: Glenn

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I'll get you all the contact info but the company I work for is a Goal Zero Distributor. If anyone wants any info on the products just let me know and I can ask them.

GypsyTreker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

55ah battery (trolling) $119..100w panel $120. Controler. $30. It should run a 12v Dometic freezer/fridge and some lights and charge a phone or two for some time...as long as the sun shines every couple of days. We are are going to do ours as a portable rig with a honda 1000 as our back up ( we use the gen for our 4x8 pods AC) Just seems like the prefab solutions are really expensive.

Sent from my XT1096 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 9Mike2

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

... seems like the prefab solutions are really expensive...
[/URL]
They are, until you consider the convenience of the packaging. However, I'd rather build my own, as that gives me more control over the components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

However, I'd rather build my own, as that gives me more control over the components.
That's what I opted for. I enjoy the DYI but more over, I feel I am going to get a lot more power for the dollar and im easily expandable if need be. Still waiting on fuses and a Dual USB Socket Charger + 12V Power Outlet that I will be able to use power direct from panel instead of stored battery power.
Excited to see it in action !

15940417_1314981358523070_7716751631385097682_n.jpg

Reactions: svitosky

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I would not want to even venture a guess as to their cost.
The Anker Powerhouse is lithium, and it isn't *that* much more than the current Goal Zero. But Goal Zero is a bit more across the board for all of its stuff, so it will probably be more than the Aker model.

Reactions: Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

The Anker Powerhouse is lithium, and it isn't *that* much more than the current Goal Zero. But Goal Zero is a bit more across the board for all of its stuff, so it will probably be more than the Aker model.
100ah Lithium batteries are HUGE expensive. I could buy a bank of 6 AGM 100ah batteries for the cost of one 100ah lithium...I have to pass. :cry: LOL