Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator Experience?

• HTML tutorial

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Before I spend a dime on off grid power for my rig I am looking for input on this unit. I tried the search feature here to no avail. I have read lots of great info but nobody seems to have mentioned this unit. Anyone have some experience with this setup?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Can't help, I've never owned a Goal Zero product. But, after a friend lost everything (literally) to one of their chargers, I will never own a GZ product. I'm sure it was an isolated case, but that's enough to make up my mind.

Reactions: Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Can't help, I've never owned a Goal Zero product. But, after a friend lost everything (literally) to one of their chargers, I will never own a GZ product. I'm sure it was an isolated case, but that's enough to make up my mind.
Could it have been owner/user error? Everything I have read so far seems to be that they are OK. But you never read the "whole" truth...lol...and THAT is what I want to hear.

Reactions: Overland 505

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I have the Yeti 150 with 20W panel. I like it. Only thing I've changed is made where I can connect a second battery up to it so it lasts longer. But for the size it's great.
I fully expect to have 2 batteries to store power. What are you powering? Im looking for minimal lights and mostly a fridge. I have solar powered lanterns and am really concerned with food cooling and perhaps fans.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Not sure what you are talking about...(SLA?AGM?) I am very new to the solar powered "anything". Need to look that up. I have so many other things on my to-do list with the DIY roof rack for now that im trying not to veer to far off my path so that when I do veer off the beaten path, I will be ready.
Glenn - The Yeti's come with Deep Cycle Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries and they are of the Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) variety. The reason why I want Lithium, specifically, LiFePO4, is the superior discharge/charge characteristics of Lithium over SLA.

Essentially, with SLAs, discharge is less than 80%, while with Lithiums, you get closer to 100%. Additionally, Lithiums have a flatter discharge rate, i.e., lithiums maintain voltage from beginning to pretty much the end of the discharge cycle. Voltage drops only at the end. With SLAs, the voltage drops consistantly throughout the discharge cycle.

Charging is also faster with Lithiums, and you do get more cycle life than with SLAs.

Lithiums are also about 1/4 the weight of SLAs, so why doesn't Yeti use Lithium? Lithiums are much more expensive, and certain Lithium chemistries are more volatile. LiFePO4 is the most stable of the Lithium Ion chemistries, but they are still crazy expensive. A 100AH equivalent LiFePO4 is probably 4 figures, while a 100AH SLA/AGM, is only a fourth (or less).

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Glenn

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Could it have been owner/user error? Everything I have read so far seems to be that they are OK. But you never read the "whole" truth...lol...and THAT is what I want to hear.
No user error. Just plugged in. This happened fairly recently and I can't really talk about it out of respect for my buddy.

Like I said, it was probably an isolated case, it just hit a little too close to home for me to want one of their products in my house or truck.

Reactions: Glenn

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

I fully expect to have 2 batteries to store power. What are you powering? Im looking for minimal lights and mostly a fridge. I have solar powered lanterns and am really concerned with food cooling and perhaps fans.
I don't think the 150 would run a fridge. What kind of fridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

Until lithium polymer batteries aren't stupid expensive I'll be using my sla/agm batteries. Glenn sla/agm batteries are like the optima batteries. They won't spill acid.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Glenn - The Yeti's come with Deep Cycle Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries and they are of the Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) variety. The reason why I want Lithium, specifically, LiFePO4, is the superior discharge/charge characteristics of Lithium over SLA.

Essentially, with SLAs, discharge is less than 80%, while with Lithiums, you get closer to 100%. Additionally, Lithiums have a flatter discharge rate, i.e., lithiums maintain voltage from beginning to pretty much the end of the discharge cycle. Voltage drops only at the end. With SLAs, the voltage drops consistantly throughout the discharge cycle.

Charging is also faster with Lithiums, and you do get more cycle life than with SLAs.

Lithiums are also about 1/4 the weight of SLAs, so why doesn't Yeti use Lithium? Lithiums are much more expensive, and certain Lithium chemistries are more volatile. LiFePO4 is the most stable of the Lithium Ion chemistries, but they are still crazy expensive. A 100AH equivalent LiFePO4 is probably 4 figures, while a 100AH SLA/AGM, is only a fourth (or less).
4 figures? OUCH...Lost me right there! I have too many other irons in the fire for that kind of cost......lol
Thankyou for explaining the differences. It does make sense that the Lith's are more $$$. I am not even totally sure of what I will need yet for power. I am working my way up from never camped like this before, to...I want to be ready at will.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

No user error. Just plugged in. This happened fairly recently and I can't really talk about it out of respect for my buddy.

Like I said, it was probably an isolated case, it just hit a little too close to home for me to want one of their products in my house or truck.
Say no more...that sounds scary. Just flew back from Florida last night and they said NO IPHONE whatever it was on the flight because they blow up. Not ALL of them do, but that scares the hell outta me.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Until lithium polymer batteries aren't stupid expensive I'll be using my sla/agm batteries. Glenn sla/agm batteries are like the optima batteries. They won't spill acid.

OK kool. The Optima batteries are the ones I was looking at. I am also thinking about the Genesis Dual battery system for my JK and they use the Optimas. They are awesome batteries, familiar with them.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

But for the cost of the yeti 400 you can get a deep cycle optima and a big inverter. That will do more than the yeti.

Very true, but the Yeti, and other power packs, add circuitry for managing charging, discharging, etc, in a single form-factor. With just a deep cycle AGM and inverter, you want to make sure your inverter has sufficient wattage. ISTR, most inverters will cut-off after the battery voltage drops to 10V, which is good for AGM battery life, but limits how long it will run before recharging.