Goal: simple day to day life, small(ish), offroad capable – a Jeep Gladiator build

• HTML tutorial

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
#2 – Attaching Wood Panels to 80/20 Cabinets

When building furniture, in most cases there needs to be some covers for open sides/tops etc. And of course, this being 80/20 there is about a gazillion ways to do this. I'll show a few I've used in my build and go into the advantages and disadvantes here.

1. Side panels

First of all, this is a question about design. Do you want to hide the 80/20 or do you want it to be either an element of your design or functionality? If hiding is the goal, then this actually becomes a lot easier.

The easiest way is to cut a panel to the size you want to cover, add some t-nuts into the extrusion channels it will cover, drill holes into the wood in the right places and bolt the panel on. The advantages of this are that it is very cost efficient and easy to do and looks as good as you can make the wood look on the outside. You can even use some brackets on the inside and use wood screws so that there are no screw heads showing from the outside.

There are also some 80/20 components that help with this type of mount, e.g. the panel mounts you can see in the first picture of the post before this one. The little blocks that are bolted to the aluminum frame provide a recessed mount as well as a flush mount option. They provide (in my case) a M6 thread on either side. In case of on-top-of-extrusion mounting, I find these to be total overkill and would always go with plain t-nuts in the channel since it's a lot cheaper.

If you want a recessed look like we have here:

IMG_5995.jpeg

or flush with the extrusion like this:

IMG_5999.jpeg

Both can be achieved by mounting the panels into the t-slot.

In the first picture, the 6mm plywood side panels are sitting inside the t-slot. There is no additional mounting holding them anywhere, since they can't move anyways once the furniture piece is completely put together.

Same is true for the panel above the two small doors in the bench module. Although that we wanted to be mounted flush with the outside extrusion, it got a little bit more complicated. We had a perfectly sized piece of 12mm Baltic Birch plywood and didn't want to waste that. The idea was to glue some 6mm plywood pieces to the back and use these pieces to slot into the extrusion. Ah, but now you have to account for material thickness ...

So, out came the router and a surface bit. We trimmed off about 4mm or so of the thickness in some areas, then attached the 6mm strips that ultimately hold the part in the channel:

IMG_5927.jpeg

And since this was 12mm plywood, way too heavy to act as a simple panel, we removed about 8mmm from the inside area, removing about 30% of the total weight of this panel. We could have used 9mm plywood and glued the 6mm straight to it and it would have looked good enough, but again, we had the material and the time, so the above is what we did.

This is it mounted:

IMG_5929 (1).jpeg

It's sits perfectly flush with the extrusion on the outside:

IMG_5930.jpeg

It takes a little bit of effort, but in the end looks pretty good.

Now, the biggest downside of this mounting style is that you can't remove the panel without disassembling the furniture. We need to attach some stuff to some of these panels in the utility module and since we can't take them out without disassembling the whole thing, this isn't happening right now. It'll wait until the time when we do a full on disassemble, correct mistakes, apply thread locker, reassemble run.

I do NOT recommend the method we used above putting the panels into the t-slot.

Then again, there are the little mounting blocks I mentioned above, they can also be used to mount panels in a recessed way, all that needs to be done is to trim the panel thickness to around 4 to 4.5mm and use the mounting blocks in the recessed position (the one visible in the previous post). We will do this above this access door:

IMG_6229.jpeg

The panel above the door needs to sit flush, so that it is behind the latch. And we aren't going to make the same mistake as before and put it into the t-slot. So, we just cut away a bit of material from the surface of the cover panel and mount it to the blocks. We are okay with bolt heads visible on the outside, so it'll be easy and I can probably show the result in a few days when we get to this part of the furniture piece.

The door uses this type of latch because the rear of that panel needs to be perfectly flush to act as a table when opened and with this latch we could use countersunk screws on the rear and nuts on the outside. Again, something to show in more detail at a later stage.

There are some more ways of mounting side panels, one option we might convert our existing furniture to is use the slot only at the bottom and use S-shaped mounting brackets with bolts on the sides/top. Then it could be removed without disassembling the furniture piece.

Ping me if you want any part numbers or links to the products used, I don't have them all handy right now but can look them up easily enough.

The top of our galley will use an "on-top-of-extrusion" style mounting, with countersunk bolts going to 90 degree mounting brackets underneath (not into the t-slot since we wanted a bit more wood material on the outside edge.

So, this wraps up the side/top panel mounting we have used. There are more ways, but since we haven't used them, I'm not going into this.

My recommendations:
  • If money is a consideration, put the panels on top of the extrusion and mount them with t-nuts in the slots and a bolt through the panel. Cheap, easy, removable.
  • If you want to annoy yourself down the line, put the panels into the t-slot and fight them at a later stage.
  • If you want a nice, flush look, use the mounting blocks and bemoan the money spent.
If I were to design the furniture a second (or third ...) time, I might go with the mounting blocks again for the nice look and get whacked over the head by my wife for the expense.

Next installment: attaching doors and the components used.

Last edited:

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
#3 – What type of wood when using 80/20 as a base frame

This can be a short post – I'd say, use ligthweight plywood. Of course, you can use anything you want, but I'd keep it very lightweight. The structural strength is provided by the extrusion, so there is no need to use excessively thick and heavy plywood.

Currently, I use a mix of 12mm (just under 1/2"), 9mm (just under 3/8), and 6mm (just under 1/4") Baltic Birch. If Baltic Birch is not available, I'd use a marine grade plywood in the equivalent thicknesses.
  • 12mm for the floor, the rear seat delete platform (which doesn't have as much much 80/20 support as the Goose Gear platform), and some small pieces. If I use it in areas, where I don't need bend-resistence I generally remove up to 8mm from the back of the panels (like in the doors of our bench).
  • 9mm for all doors and seats and parts that do need some structural strength. I do removed quite a lot of material from the back of some components because I don't need full board strength, just shape stability. I left the seats, lids, and the galley top at full strength, everything else will get trimmed down in part to save weight. I generally leave about 4mm and some connecting strips of full material in the back.
  • 6mm for all sidewalls, internal shelves, covers, and again, some small parts.
Basically, my rule of thumb is to always use the lightest material that'll get the job done. Baltic Birch is INCREDIBLY strong. We used similar material to build equipment cases in my old company and it survived EVERYTHING we put it through and that was A LOT. Like a panel that was supported only on the sides, 180cm long, 60mm wide two grown man standing and dancing on them for a few hours ... Yes, they bent, yes, we thought these guys would end up standing IN the case any moment, but nothing like that happened. It just held up.

So, again, use it according to the ACTUAL need, not the perceived "just in case". That would only make your furniture heavy without any benefit.

Oh, and as a sidenote: if I were to build new furniture with wood only, I'd build the whole thing in 9mm Baltic Birch. Nothing else. Remove thickness where it doesn't help, leave along where the bend-resistence is needed.

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
They do:

At least it lists the Ford. It’s a bigger cabin since it’s a bigger truck.
Thanks, I looked on their site under Canopies and they didn't have it, instead it's listed under Alu-Cabin! Time to start saving, hmm, what can I sell!?

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Thanks, I looked on their site under Canopies and they didn't have it, instead it's listed under Alu-Cabin! Time to start saving, hmm, what can I sell!?
Believe me, the cabin is just the beginning, so make a good inventory of redundant body parts ... ;-)

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Here you can see, why we didn't use one of the otherwise great Southco latches on the hatch towards the outside:

IMG_6237.jpeg

It turns into a table when dropped down and we didn't want the latch hardware in the way when using it.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
We've been blocked on most of our larger projects for a few days now since we are waiting for parts or tools to move forward.

Small things:

Re-installed Redarc BCDC25 as a secondary charger. It's been out since it was in the way of some other work, now it's back in. The little guy above the red inverter:

IMG_6241.jpeg

Still need to route the solar cable properly, this is just a secondary one for a solar blanket, need to get ground back in and the Anderson tucked to the side where we can reach it if we want to use a solar blanket.

Also started cleaning up some corners:

IMG_6242.jpeg

Man, this camper doesn't have a single actually square angle in there. Improvised with the track saw to make it fit without too much fuss. Right now it's just a test fit, needs to get some components mounted, mounting holes drilled, Osmo coated, then re-installed. Hopefully we'll have a few hours in the next few days when it doesn't rain so I can work outside.

Also, in total alignment with the speed of this build, we created the perfect motto and logo for it:

PNG image.png

Yes, a furlong per fortnight roughly equates to the speed of a snail ... ;-) Getting stickers printed now!

Feels unfortunately very real right now ...

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

How have I missed this thread until now? Thanks for bringing us along. :)
we are making the transition from a JKU with an Ursa Minor to a Gladiator with a Snap Outfitters Treehouse. I’m trying to toe the thin line between full on build out ( and weight) vs just throwing totes in the back.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
So, one of the problems we had to solve with our choice of door latches for the galley cabinet, was to prevent vertical and horizontal movement of the door (rattle). The original door latch keepers that come with the Southco latches put pressure only in one direction, which does work for hatches and lids like these:

IMG_5998.jpeg

But does not work properly for doors like these:

IMG_6232.jpeg

They could have rattled like crazy with the original latch keeper, so a home made solution was the way to go.

I designed this part (latest design, the prototype is slightly bigger, which it doesn't need to be):

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 12.43.05.png

And a friend 3D printed us a prototype to try out:

IMG_6151.jpeg

It works perferctly. We've also added small silicone bumpers between door and the keeper construction, now it sits in there absolutely solid and without even the slightest rattle.

Getting more made in the slightly smaller version so it doesn't "overshoot" the door stop.

Again, it takes longer to get it right, but in the end it's worth it. If the 3D printed plastic isn't strong enough, I can have them CNC cut from aluminum based on the same file and be done with it.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I’m trying to toe the thin line between full on build out ( and weight) vs just throwing totes in the back.
It really depends on what the goal is for you – we are building a "travel vehicle for difficult roads and easy trails". Therefore the main focus is on travel features that make our daily lives easier and more convenient. I'm happy to save a lot of weight by not getting "offroad enhancements" and instead spend that weight budget on travel items.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Wow, that's a great conversion. Top craftsmanship, practical and also beautiful to look at. Also super well documented here in text and pictures. Thanks for sharing your experiences here and have fun with the ongoing conversion. And don't forget to go out and experience many great adventures with this super Jeep. Enjoy.

Reactions: cug

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Wow, that's a great conversion. Top craftsmanship, practical and also beautiful to look at. Also super well documented here in text and pictures. Thanks for sharing your experiences here and have fun with the ongoing conversion. And don't forget to go out and experience many great adventures with this super Jeep. Enjoy.
Thank you for the kind words!

I certainly won't forget to go out – my wife is getting antsy right now. She's done a lot during this build and really wants to be done, just the same as I do. It's one of the these 80% – 20% projects (no pun on 80/20, although it might well be). You know, 80% of the project take 80% of the time and the remaining 20% work take another 80% of time.

The wife doing most of the work while I broke my wrist last fall:

IMG_5907.jpeg

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
So, the last days have been incredibly slow, we've worked on wood finishing, door latches, some electrics, ripped the rear seat delete platform out to finish the wood and improve the foundation, etc.

Door latches installed:

IMG_6248.jpeg

Keepers will get installed tomorrow afternoon.

Wood finishing:

IMG_6249.jpeg

And some work on finishing the area under the Redarc system and some electrical work:

IMG_6251.jpeg

Switch for the toilet fan, DCDC power distribution switch for various charging options, 120V outlet.

Tomorrow is supposedly better weather, so maybe we can get some stuff on the truck done.

Reactions: Dougnuts

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Building with 80/20 continued

#4 – Door Latches and Hinges

One of the biggest problems we found when building with 80/20 is attaching doors and making them work nicely.

1. Latches

We really didn't like the 80/20 options for latches. We wanted something that is flush with the panel, the panel itself sitting inside the 80/20 frame. Check the furniture photos in this thread to get an impression on how it looks like. So we went with Southco M1 slam latches.

The problem with this approach is that you are on your own in terms of keeping the doors where you want them. The keeper that comes with the Southco latches is just a 90 degree bend piece of metal to mount on a side panel or mount block. Now, that's easy if you have build with wood and have a panel right there where your door closes ... we didn't have that luxury, we had 80/20 frame there, the inside frame 30% covered by the flush mounted door, so the t-slot wasn't available. Okay, not a problem, mount a 90 degree angle bracket on the t-slot "around the corner" and attach a small slam board to it. This serves two purposes: it prevents the door from going too far into the frame as well as providing a mounting block for the simple keeper.

We've done this here:

IMG_5932.jpeg

The keeper isn't visible in this picture it's underneath the small panel mounted above the hatch. Ignore the hardware, that was just temporary.

Here's the front view of this furniture part:

IMG_5950.jpeg

Other than the hinges, it looks very clean. We possible could have found a way to mount hinges differently, but we didn't want to make our life hard everywhere ...

Now, this works perfectly fine if you have the t-slow available like in the photo above. But on our last piece of furniture, we unforrtunately didn't have that, since the latches were side mounted and the frame was partly taken by the side panel of the new furniture.

What we are using for this type of install are these panel mount blocks:

IMG_6217.jpeg

They are very handy, but also extremely expensive. The handy part is that on one side you can mount a recessed panel (about 3.5mm recessed) and on the other side there is a flush mounted thread available. The threaded hole visible in the photo above goes through the whole block and is accessible from both sides.

So, one side will take the bolt to mount the side panel of the furniture, the other side takes the bolt holding the stop panel for the door:

IMG_6151.jpeg

The main problem with that is that you have work extremely precise to make it all fit or give yourself a lot of wiggle room with large mounting holes. We decided to make it precise (what else, we have to create more pain in our backsides).

Now to another problem with the Southco latches: the provide no support for the door. They will keep the door closed, sure, but they won't prevent any rattle or slight door movement. And on a washboard road, this will rattle so much, it will endanger the rest of the door components (bolts, hinges, etc.).

Again, in the photo above you see the solution we fabricated for this. It's a 3D printed latch keeper, that provides vertical support for the latch. Together with the springloaded latch and two silicon bumpers on the stop panel, this holds the door very securely closed without ANY tendency to rattle. The problem is: you have to make these yourself (or have a friend or company 3D print them). It's certainly possible to make them with wood, I'd just be a bit concerned about longevity in this case.

The 3D printed parts are neither complex nor very expensive, but they do take time to get, so plan accordingly. If you need some of these, let me know, I can give you the file so you can have them 3D printed.

To mount them, it's best to mount the door first, get it properly aligned with the stop panel, the frame around it etc. Make sure all gaps are nicely done. Install the latch (pretty much according to Southco measurements, we moved it 1mm closer to the door edge, to get more overlap, but that's optional), remember to accound for the door to frame gap in the measurement. Once the door sits nicely and latch is in, hold the keeper in place, mark position and mount it.

2. Hinges

All I can say about hinges is that I recommend you find something that looks better than the ones we are using. They are expensive, not very pretty, but at least they are very simple to install and don't stick out too much. But I'm 100% certain that there are nicer options around.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
After quite a while without an update, here are impressions of the current state:

We had most of the furniture out to make some improvements and yesterday and today we re-installed everything again for a shake down trip:

IMG_6270.jpeg

Above: electrics cleaned up, charge selector switch installed (off, Manager 30 only, BCDC25 only, or both for a combined 55A charging), installed fixed 120V outlet, and finally installed the "bracket" for our toilet.

IMG_6273.jpeg

I think we can pull off the protective plastic now ... although, the display will get re-located to the door, so maybe later ...

IMG_6275.jpeg

Above: Galley with travel oven installed

IMG_6277.jpeg

Above: it was dark by the time we were finished, so shitty light ... toilet is in, galley is in with all drawers, tables, panels, etc.

We'll even bring the kitchen sink:

IMG_6279.jpeg

Big items remaining:
  • Water system; pump, filter, faucet
  • Webasto heater
  • Rear door setup with outside loadbars for spare fuel, shovel, inside a fold down table, the Redvision display, some small item storage above the table
Then we'll be ready to go ...

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Wow, this looks absolutely fantastic. Great job. Enjoy the shake down trip.

Safe travels,
Bjoern

TheBestCow

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Mulligan
Member #

This is incredible. Congrats on the progress, engineering, and build of it -- hope the shakedown goes well and can't wait to see more. Wow. Seriously impressed.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
@TheBestCow - I’ve done a calculation beforehand. It’ll be very close … although our build isn’t heavier than a Goose Gear system amazingly enough.

Last edited: