Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
I have a 25 watt rugged radio that was purchased and installed before I learned about it's questionable legality, my offroad group uses them although mostly the handhelds. I know now the radio is a 2 meter 70cm Ham, it is capable of tx/rx on GMRS and even came preprogrammed as such, but I would rather keep them separate. I plan to get a technician license next. So that radio will be used more for that purpose.

Reactions: Kent R

Colo14er

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Ulrich
If you are looking for better range I've found that a good antenna is more helpful than adding watts. I use a 15 watt MXT275 with a MXTA26 6db antenna in the mountains of Colorado and it provides the coverage and range I was looking for. Like any radio, the more obstructions you have the shorter the range but a good antenna can help pull in signals a bit better.

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I just purchased the Midland MXT275 with a MXTA26 antenna and MXTA24 cable. I am hoping that the mounting will fit the Teraflex HD Hinged Carrier mounting holes. I specifically like the controls being in the hand unit and the ability to mount the base unit under the seat. The 4X4 club we belong to is heavy HAM but I just want comms with the radio in the spotter's hand and reasonable range, 1/2 to 1 mile, with others on the trail. I filed and paid for the license which was a little tedious but quick, like next day.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

I just want comms with the radio in the spotter's hand and reasonable range, 1/2 to 1 mile, with others on the trail.
I'm in the same boat... I just bought a pair of Midland GXT1000VP4 handheld radios. Hopefully that will give me what I need to stay in touch with others on the trail. I still may get an inexpensive CB set-up; and I an kind of looking at the whole HAM thing. I did notice that there are over 107,000 HAM users registered in California! No wonder OB pushes for HAM. Got to agree with most of what I have read here and other places, got to use whatever the folks you ride with use.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
If you are looking for better range I've found that a good antenna is more helpful than adding watts. I use a 15 watt MXT275 with a MXTA26 6db antenna in the mountains of Colorado and it provides the coverage and range I was looking for. Like any radio, the more obstructions you have the shorter the range but a good antenna can help pull in signals a bit better.
The antenna is the heart of any radio setup.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
So, I now have my radio, (install in progress)( pics to follow) still working out antenna mount, not a lot of real estate on my TJ, I am open to suggestions. Anyway, let's talk protocols, specifically, how do you talk on this thing? I know you are supposed to announce your call sign periodically, but beyond that, I remain clueless. Teach me.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

So, I now have my radio, (install in progress)( pics to follow) still working out antenna mount, not a lot of real estate on my TJ, I am open to suggestions. Anyway, let's talk protocols, specifically, how do you talk on this thing? I know you are supposed to announce your call sign periodically, but beyond that, I remain clueless. Teach me.
Arizona Rocky Road has an antenna mount that bolts to the tailgate and extended the mount above the rear tire. This is probably the best option to get the antenna up high. The next best option is a simple fender mount on the driver's side front fender.
ID every 15 minutes and at the end of the conversation.
Just watch your language, no music, no using it to facilitate a crime, and you should be good.

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Me:"This is WQYH678 mobile, and monitoring"

Someone else:"Good afternoon, this is WXYZ123 how are you doing today?"

Then we carry on our conversation for a however long. I've never kept exact track of how long I've carried on a conversation if I feel like it's been a while I may say after or before making my next transmission in the middle of a conversation "This is WQYH678 for ID" then carry on about our conversation.

At the end of the conversation if I'm going to stay on the radio I'll say "Have a good day, this is WQYH678, mobile, monitoring"

If I'm going to clear off and not want to talk anymore or am where I'm going I'll say "WQYH678, clear".

This same kind of deal applies to HAM radio too if you ever make the move over to that.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Thanks Downs, figured it was just that simple but thought I'd ask anyway. As to the mount, is Arizona Rocky Road a web site?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Me:"This is WQYH678 mobile, and monitoring"

Someone else:"Good afternoon, this is WXYZ123 how are you doing today?"

Then we carry on our conversation for a however long. I've never kept exact track of how long I've carried on a conversation if I feel like it's been a while I may say after or before making my next transmission in the middle of a conversation "This is WQYH678 for ID" then carry on about our conversation.

At the end of the conversation if I'm going to stay on the radio I'll say "Have a good day, this is WQYH678, mobile, monitoring"

If I'm going to clear off and not want to talk anymore or am where I'm going I'll say "WQYH678, clear".

This same kind of deal applies to HAM radio too if you ever make the move over to that.
You do not have to say the "for ID" part. Its superfluous. Merely begin your next comment with your call sign. Folks will understand that it is for identification purposes. Otherwise spot on.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

To add to what @Downs said, don't have to ID at the beginning especially if you know the person or if you are just calling someone as you pass them.
Me: Hey Joshua this is Jon, you copy?
Joshua: I got ya, where are we headed.?

Just ID every 15 minutes during the convo and then at the end.

I believe you have to specifically request the NMO mount.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
To add to what @Downs said, don't have to ID at the beginning especially if you know the person or if you are just calling someone as you pass them.
Me: Hey Joshua this is Jon, you copy?
Joshua: I got ya, where are we headed.?

Just ID every 15 minutes during the convo and then at the end.

I believe you have to specifically request the NMO mount.
Thanks, I'll check out that site.

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
Arizona Rocky Road has an antenna mount that bolts to the tailgate and extended the mount above the rear tire. This is probably the best option to get the antenna up high. The next best option is a simple fender mount on the driver's side front fender.
ID every 15 minutes and at the end of the conversation.
Just watch your language, no music, no using it to facilitate a crime, and you should be good.
I ran the Az Rocky Road mounts on my JKU and loved them (recently traded in the Jeep for a 4Runner to give the family a little more room).

F92F7048-1AB5-4B01-9B8A-699334881473.jpeg

KF5UZW MARK PILKILTON

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Sherman, TX
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Pilkilton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UZW
Go with ham radio, you can study for a week and pass the test. The test are 15 dollars. Nothing wrong with the GMRS radio,.
Look for a local ham radio club in your area.

Look for info on this web site

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Way back when, a licence was needed to use a CB. I got mine ~45-46 years ago. I still remember my call sign(KGU1735) .

itsko177

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bolingbrook, Illinois
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
OCallaghan
Member #

Way back when, a licence was needed to use a CB. I got mine ~45-46 years ago. I still remember my call sign(KGU1735) .
I still remember my CB radio call sign from when I was a kid. It was probably in my dads name because I was in grade school, KBII6056!!!

Ratthew

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I bought a GMRS radio, paid the $70 fee, and got a call sign. Boy was that stupid. I love the radio, but regret i wasted my money on the fee - I've had the radio for 3 months now and NO ONE HAS EVER used a call sign. EVER. And in most urban areas, 90% of the traffic is children playing hide and seek or whatever. THe other 10% being legit worker comm. So I get "why" there needs to be rules, but if no one follows them and there is no real enforcement, its a joke. GMRS is great, and I am not openly encouraging you to break the "law," but certainly wish I had my $70 back.

KMDADV

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Trivoli, IL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Deppermann
Member #

I also paid my fee and I have a license. I use gmrs for farm operations as well as on trips. There is a fair amount of traffic around home due to farm use and I have also never heard a call sign being used. I wonder how long before the rules change. Around here neighbors just talk over each other with no radio etiquette whatsoever. All that being said GMRS has been a real asset for me and I’m glad it’s available. I have quite a few midland radios and they have all been great except I got a bad speaker mic with one. I didn’t know it til harvest started and they still sent me a new one out of warranty when I called. Plus they are super easy to install and we up. I’ll stick with their radio equipment.