Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
Do we have any folks using GRMS radios in Overland Bound? Just curious since I hear so much on HAM radios support.

Reactions: Wrench Love

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm licensed on both. The local GMRS repeater to me has great coverage about 40+ miles in all directions. I've had a little success getting my local Jeep club to switch to GMRS but absolutely zero with trying to get them into HAM radio. Many are still on CB. I've managed to utilize HAM radio for what I need it for without turning it into a HOBBY. I do make semi regular calls on GMRS 15 when commuting on I-30 east of Dallas. Never got a hit back from any OB members.

-WQYH678 / KK6RBI

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham is suggested over CB and GMRS due to it's capabilities and number of operators in general however GMRS is a great alternative to CB and for those that do not wish to take a ham test.
Some off road clubs have switched to GMRS or ham, some still fully embrace their 1970s technology. The best option is to have all 3.
There are a number of threads here in regards to GMRS in our communication section. Overland Communications
Currently I run only ham but have the ability to monitor both GMRS and CB. GMRS is likely in my near future since currently even for my family to go regular camping we have to take 2 vehicles.
And I on the other hand embraced the hobby side of ham radio.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Currently using GMRS and in need of antenna suggestions and mounting options for my WJ
Thanks in advance
Are you willing to punch a hole for an NMO mount in your roof? Ideally id go center of roof with 1/4 wave antenna.

I run a fender mount L bracket on my XJ. Works well. I just run half wave there normally and a 1/4 wave on trails. Next time i have the headliner out though im punching the roof then ill run a phantom antena on trails amd a 1/4 wave or half wave elsewhere.

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
Ham is suggested over CB and GMRS due to it's capabilities and number of .........
Great information, I also plan to get a Ham license but that is down the road. I also think having all three opens up your network for just about any option or issue that may arise.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
I have the Midland 115 and two handhelds coming soon. I am excited to get into it. Anyone have an idea of how long it takes the fcc to issue the call sign For GMRS?

Any suggestions or tips before the equipment arrives would be greatly appreciated. I will be using it in my ‘17 Tacoma.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

I have the Midland 115 and two handhelds coming soon. I am excited to get into it. Anyone have an idea of how long it takes the fcc to issue the call sign For GMRS?

Any suggestions or tips before the equipment arrives would be greatly appreciated. I will be using it in my ‘17 Tacoma.
After applying on-line(payment included), I received an email about 15 minutes later. The licence arrived in the email. I was very surprised. animated-smileys-hands-fingers-02.gif

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

I have a mxt-275 on the way myself. I've been using a baofeng hand held with an external antenna for a few years. It worked well, but since I have a dedicated rig now, I figured I might as well have a permanent radio solution.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
After applying on-line(payment included), I received an email about 15 minutes later. The licence arrived in the email. I was very surprised. View attachment 129515
Well I guess I have to be patient. I got my payment confirmation from payment.gov but nothing from the FCC. It’s only been 24 hours.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I got mine in about a day. Only because it was a weekend. Just check online and when you see you have a call sign you can start using.
You wouldn’t happen to know where I go to check the status? I can’t find my way through the maze at fcc.gov

Reactions: Drifterman

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I got my callsign less than 24 hours after submitting payment. Take your FRN and search on the license search page. When it shows up on there you're good. They dont even issue paper license anymore.

Search by your frn

Thanks for the link. It will help with Navigation for those drowning in the lawyer speak as written. I can so relate to the MAZE that is .gov. I would have gotten my GMRS license much earlier, if the website was easier to navigate. Gave up twice, before bulling my way to completion, and finally handing over the cash. Once I got thru, made my payment, and had my FRN in my pocket, it took only 24 hours at most. So it depends who is at the desk on the other end, processing. The guy with his cup of coffee, or the guy who needs a sugar rush pastry.

As has been stated, just go back in to the website, and check your FRN status on the proper page. :screamcat:

PS. Went on E-bay, and had a GMRS certificate made up, for myself,......just to have. They do verify your FRN status, so you have to supply it, and the certificate will be printed out with your information and shipped. A nice.....to me.....from me.