Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
I got my callsign less than 24 hours after submitting payment. Take your FRN and search on the license search page. When it shows up on there you're good. They dont even issue paper license anymore.

Search by your frn

Thanks for that link, I got lost on the site and couldn’t find that page!

I’m official!

GMRS: WREQ743

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
WRAU232

I have Ham and GMRS. Ham is a hobby for me too but one that offers a world of good information about effective communication and equipment operation that will improve your setup overall.

GMRS has is a good alternative for those not willing to take the test though.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I printed my certificate out and keep a copy in my glove box.

To check status, go to: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/coresBridge.jspChoose A Destination
Click on: ULS License Manager(red arrow)
View attachment 129563

Insert your FRN number and password, then Submit.
View attachment 129564

Your information will come up. View attachment 129566

Below is a redacted form of mine.
View attachment 129565
I printed multiple copies and did the same. Just in case :)

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
If anyone ever has their GMRS status checked by an actual FCC agent I'll buy you a bottle of cheap whiskey. There's zero need to carry around paper licenses unless you just feel inclined to do so.

#1....the chance of anyone with actual authority demanding your license is basically zero.

#2....you're not required to carry a paper license. Anyone with the authority to demand it can look it up on the FCC's website.

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
If anyone ever has their GMRS status checked by an actual FCC agent I'll buy you a bottle of cheap whiskey. There's zero need to carry around paper licenses unless you just feel inclined to do so.

#1....the chance of anyone with actual authority demanding your license is basically zero.

#2....you're not required to carry a paper license. Anyone with the authority to demand it can look it up on the FCC's website.
True, True....just tell them to go online and they can see the license....no need to carry at least until you have memorized your call sign.;-P

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Currently using GMRS and in need of antenna suggestions and mounting options for my WJ
Thanks in advance
My GMRS radio is the Midland MXT275. I came with a very short antenna, but I ordered and installed the Comet CA-2X4RS Dual Band Antenna. animated-smileys-hands-fingers-02.gif

It is a fold-able antenna. When I go through the car-wash, I pull it up and lay it over.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My GMRS radio is the Midland MXT275. I came with a very short antenna, but I ordered and installed the Comet CA-2X4RS Dual Band Antenna. View attachment 130070

It is a fold-able antenna. When I go through the car-wash, I pull it up and lay it over.

I just have the small antenna that the midland 115 came with, I’m gonna find something a little more effective.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I just have the small antenna that the midland 115 came with, I’m gonna find something a little more effective.
Is the one that comes with the 275 bad? I have another one that I used with my baofeng prior to the 275.

Should I think about swapping them out?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Is the one that comes with the 275 bad? I have another one that I used with my baofeng prior to the 275.

Should I think about swapping them out?
Which antenna works better will depend a lot on the terrain you are in.

A standard 1/4 wave antenna works better for the deep valleys and sharp mountains I'm normally in locally. The higher radiating angles work better in this area, being able to razor blade the sharp ridges to get signal across them.

In flatter areas where you have a lot longer horizon, the higher gain antennas will perform better because they focus the radiated energy in lower angles and gain distance in that situation.

It boils down to doing some testing to see what kind of performance you are getting from your setup. Having friends with similar setups you can test with will be a huge help. Park one guy a known distance away with a standard 1/4 wave antenna on that truck (for RX testing, it's the best choice short of a dipole but a dipole will be horizontal and there are losses associated with cross polarization that are hard to predict and account for so let's just not worry about that).

Pick a few locations a known distance from where RX truck is located with varying terrain between (a few hills in one location, clear shot, even line of site for one if you'd like.) Then have Truck B make a few transmissions with a standard 1/4 wave on followed by a few with a higher gain antenna or two depending on what you have available. Have the guys in each truck make notes of signal strength and readability for each antenna.

With this you'll have a good bit of data with which to make a decision about what antenna works best for your group in your area. And you can even say "when we're communication around town, we'll use Antenna A, but Antenna B works better in the back country locally".

This is how we determine what antenna is really working for us in Ham.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
How do I know which types of antennas would be compatible with my MXT 115? Would any antenna that says it is UHF compatible work? GMRS is UHF,right?

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
For the update: I have had my radio on and scanning for the last two days (it’s 12-26-19). All I have heard on the radio was:
1) Santa: yes Santa replied when I was doing a radiocheck... (did NOT expect that)
2) many 2-3 year olds with their Barbie walkie talkies!

I hopeI get to use this radio on some road trips soon, I can’t take the ridicule from my gf and my son... SMH

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
How do I know which types of antennas would be compatible with my MXT 115? Would any antenna that says it is UHF compatible work? GMRS is UHF,right?
You need to get an antenna specifically for the GMRS frequency band.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
For the update: I have had my radio on and scanning for the last two days (it’s 12-26-19). All I have heard on the radio was:
1) Santa: yes Santa replied when I was doing a radiocheck... (did NOT expect that)
2) many 2-3 year olds with their Barbie walkie talkies!

I hopeI get to use this radio on some road trips soon, I can’t take the ridicule from my gf and my son... SMH
Come down to the Texas Mexico border and you can be entertained with listening to the cartels talking about running loads and killing people.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Turnerxc

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I have the Midland 115 and two handhelds coming soon. I am excited to get into it. Anyone have an idea of how long it takes the fcc to issue the call sign For GMRS?

Any suggestions or tips before the equipment arrives would be greatly appreciated. I will be using it in my ‘17 Tacoma.
Following this...

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
A commercial/business band UHF antenna should do the trick handily as GMRS is right in the middle of that band which is 450-470 mhz

The amateur UHF band is 420-450 mhz.

FWIW i run both HAM and GMRS and found a dual band HAM antenna to offer acceptable performance and a SWR in the GMRS range of 1.5 or lower. A 1/4 wave 2m antenna is almost half wave for GMRS. Not quite exact but close.

To me running these really long antennas that are 5/8 wave for GMRS for our uses negates part of the reason i think GMRS is such a good fit for our uses. And thats compact antennas that are still resonant. A little short 6 inch 1/4 wave antenna mounted properly is still going to give you great performance and not whack or be grabbed by every branch on the trail. Those phasing coils on dual band antennas make great limb catchers that will rip an antenna right off the mount.

Ask me how i know [emoji1787]

Yeah an unobtrusive UHF antenna wont look as cool but at least it'll be there at the end of the trail.

IMG_20191222_213156_537.jpg

Last edited: