If you have a GMRS radio, Do you plan on getting the license

• Total voters

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Great info. I'm going the trifecta route (CB, FRS/GMRS & HAM). Studying for HAM now. License application complete for FRS/GMRS and heading to a shop for some assistance with a clean CB install in a few days. More options the better, I feel.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Great info. I'm going the trifecta route (CB, FRS/GMRS & HAM). Studying for HAM now. License application complete for FRS/GMRS and heading to a shop for some assistance with a clean CB install in a few days. More options the better, I feel.
Might want to hold off on that CB install. There are a few nice Ham setups that can do CB. A bit more money, but one radio. Some of the 10M radios can be modded over to 11 and CB.

Reactions: LandPirate

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Might want to hold off on that CB install. There are a few nice Ham setups that can do CB. A bit more money, but one radio. Some of the 10M radios can be modded over to 11 and CB.
Thanks for that. I was unaware. I got a very good deal on a CB so I'll run with it until I purchase and install a HAM radio, however I will now definitely look for one that is capable of CB and eventually nuke the CB and associated hardware. Great info, cheers.

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Just so you are aware it is also illegal, whatever that may mean to you.
I operate within the confines of the law, so yes, that is important information. Can you please clarify why it would be illegal to use a single unit to transmit and receive on CB and HAM frequencies when CB has no requirement for licensing?

I am guessing that you are assuming the output wattage of a single HAM/CB device would greatly exceed the FCC's set limit for CB frequencies which would make its output power illegal on those frequencies. Is that correct?

If it is not a wattage issue, then I am quite curious as to why it is illegal to use the same box for multiple frequencies across a wide spectrum. Thanks for your input.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

If you want to throw around the word TECHNICALLY, Modding 10 to work on 11 is NOT illegal in and of itself, it's the use of higher wattages that would make it illegal. The problem is the restriction on CB output power. It's limited to 4 watts when using AM and 12 watts when using SSB. Most ham radios will output much more.

There is a Yaesu radio (FT-650) that will work on 6m, 10m, 11m, and 12m. However, the US models come with 11m disabled. It can be re-enabled by pushing the right combination of buttons.

If you chose to blast away at something like 50 watts, then yea it's illegal.

But if someone can post the link to the FCC reg about "thou shalt not mod thy radio", feel free to share away.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

CB radios are required to be Part 95 type approved by the FCC, they are limited to 4 watts (AM) and are not combined with any other radio service such as ham radio. CB is "license by rule", meaning if you follow the rules you are operating as licensed, operate outside of the rules and you are operating without a license which carries a $10k base fine. If you are a licensed ham radio operator the fine will likely be more, you will lose your license and your radio gear. The likelihood of being caught may be low but it does happen, however there are operators out there running 1000s of watts of power, a few extra watts probably will go unnoticed.
Ham radios are not part 95 type accepted therefore aren't allowed to be used on CB.

I don't use CB all that much so it personally does not effect me, I just wanted to make sure you had all the information to judge the risk/reward for yourself.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

But if someone can post the link to the FCC reg about "thou shalt not mod thy radio", feel free to share away.
The requirement for the radio to be type accepted eliminates the modified radios as being legal for CB.

Last edited:

LR4ME

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missouri, USA
Member #

I suspect this fee was created as an FCC revenue stream. At some point, all Regulatory Agencies, go after non compliance. It's a way to generate more $$$, without involving Congress. Since Federal agencies, most often function (at least partially) as a jobs programs. It meets their goal to bring in more money, so they can hire more staff, so they can create more regulations: rinse and repeat. My Libertarian views might be showing in this post, sorry if it offends anyone. Not the intent.
I'm with you, brother!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

LR4ME

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missouri, USA
Member #

Wow, $70...
Little off topic for GMRS thread: No license is required to purchase a HAM. I'm installing mine now, so I can listen in on conversations. I want to be more familiar with common protocol, before I get my license, and start transmitting. Not breaking any rules, as long as I don't transmit without a license. I want to be a fly on the wall for a bit.
Great idea. I bought a Baofeng and am planning to do the same.

LR4ME

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missouri, USA
Member #

Same applies for GMRS too really. A nice little handheld like a Baofeng uv-5r can be handy. The great thing with them, is not only can you listen in on HAM, but you can also use FRS/GMRS channels. I actually have four for the events I host to pass out, pre-programmed for FSR/GMRS stations.

But really, if you just study for the test, you'll learn proper protocol. Call Sign: WQYY380

Another thing I like about GMRS, is while some scuff at the license, it covers everyone in your household. This means the wife can use the Baofeng as well on the trail.
Good info! I wasn't aware that it covered the whole family. Could be handy on backcountry outings, and certainly better than using FRS toys.

Reactions: imurill0

Sierrahotel83

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Shrock
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4HVZ
Another thing to note is in addition to the GMRS license being for 10 years, they did some changes to power allowances on FRS/GMRS and I think maybe MURS, as well as making some slight changes to the freqs for FRS/GMRS. I went down a rabbit hole last week and was reading a lot of the Part 95 information.

jimiwebb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arvada, CO
Member #

One thing to note about the license fee is that it covers the whole household and it covers for 5 years if i remember.
This is why I have gone GMRS first. Eventually my wife and I will get our ham tickets but this has been great for now. I can also give my 5 year old a radio and not worry about violating any rules and regs.

Reactions: TerryD and Skip

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I ponied up for the license last week. A buddy gave me a pair of Motorola radios and I gave them to the kids to use when we went for a little hike/drive yesterday. They really enjoyed playing with them but they spent a bunch of time keyed up on top of each other.

They'll get it figured out.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
Ok, I paid my $70.00 and now I need to know how or when do you get a call sign? Do I need to wait till I can get my license in 10 days?