Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have notices many in the Community adopting GMRS radio, to augment or replace CB. It has been mentioned in other threads, that you should have a license for these radios. I don't know how the FCC intends to enforce compliance, but if you are interested in being in compliance, here are some directions.

If you don't already have any FCC licenses, you will need to get an FCC Registration Number (FRN). you can register for one here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/regEntityType.do

Once you receive your FRN. You can Log with your FRN and password: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

1. On the left-side of the screen, click Apply for a New License
2. From the drop down box, select the Radio Service for the new license - ZA - General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)
3. Click Continue to navigate through the application
4. Sign your application and click Submit Application Note: By typing your first and last name in the name fields you have signed your application
5. ULS will calculate the fees. Fees for online filing MUST be received within 10 calendar days of the filing.
6. Click the Continue For Payment Options button to choose the method of payment.

After your application has Granted, you may also download an official copy of your license from the License Manager by following the steps below:
Log in to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp with your FRN and Password

Click the "Download Electronic Authorizations" link on the navigation bar on the left side of the License Manager home page.

1. To search for the authorization(s) you want to download:
a. Enter the call sign OR
b. Enter a date range (based on Effective Date of the license)

2. In the My Authorizations box, select the call signs you wish to download.

3. Add the call signs to the Authorizations to Download box.

4. Once the licenses have been selected, click the Download button in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.

5. The download will be automatically converted to a PDF file, and you can choose to Open (to print) or Save (to save to a desired folder).

Much of this is plagiarism from the email I received from the FCC.

If this helps get through the process, hit like.

If it was confusing: please help me improve the directions, by adding to the thread.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I suspect this fee was created as an FCC revenue stream. At some point, all Regulatory Agencies, go after non compliance. It's a way to generate more $$$, without involving Congress. Since Federal agencies, most often function (at least partially) as a jobs programs. It meets their goal to bring in more money, so they can hire more staff, so they can create more regulations: rinse and repeat. My Libertarian views might be showing in this post, sorry if it offends anyone. Not the intent.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Even if I didn't have my Ham license, $70 is a little much. I paid $15 to take my ham test and that has more use than this. If this was $25 to $30, I would be more than happy. I'll just make do with my CB and my 2 meter setup....

Reactions: 64Trvlr

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
One thing to note about the license fee is that it covers the whole household and it covers for 5 years if i remember. Still expensive, if you ask me, but worth noting. I bit the bullet and paid for a GMRS license a while back to have just in case i ran across a group that used it. In hindsight it was a waste of money for me personally. Getting my ham ticket was way cheaper and as @Shizzy noted, it is WAY more useful.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I suspect this fee was created as an FCC revenue stream. At some point, all Regulatory Agencies, go after non compliance. It's a way to generate more $$$, without involving Congress. Since Federal agencies, most often function (at least partially) as a jobs programs. It meets their goal to bring in more money, so they can hire more staff, so they can create more regulations: rinse and repeat. My Libertarian views might be showing in this post, sorry if it offends anyone. Not the intent.
Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I'm working on my Ham technician now.
Excellent! Take a look at APRS for position reporting - I have gotten my position out in some pretty far out locations and it has kept me entertained for years :)
As most Federal tests the entire question pool for the ham test(s) are published - you will receive a subset of that set. Get the questions and study the entire pool, if needed use memory tricks to remember the answers to difficult questions. If you get to know the entire pool of questions you should do well. There are folks willing to charge you for the question pool(s) but you can find them for free.

I have never followed through on FRM/GMRS radio licensing and don't know anyone who has. Now I feel kind of bad ;)

Given the fact that anyone can buy a Baofeng off of Amazon for $35 that gives them UHF/VHF I don't see how the FCC can hope to corral it all... My overlanding group has several hams (each with other gear) but everybody has at least a Baofeng - ham or not.

Reactions: The Klumps

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Excellent! Take a look at APRS for position reporting - I have gotten my position out in some pretty far out locations and it has kept me entertained for years :)
As most Federal tests the entire question pool for the ham test(s) are published - you will receive a subset of that set. Get the questions and study the entire pool, if needed use memory tricks to remember the answers to difficult questions. If you get to know the entire pool of questions you should do well. There are folks willing to charge you for the question pool(s) but you can find them for free.

I have never followed through on FRM/GMRS radio licensing and don't know anyone who has. Now I feel kind of bad ;)

Given the fact that anyone can buy a Baofeng off of Amazon for $35 that gives them UHF/VHF I don't see how the FCC can hope to corral it all... My overlanding group has several hams (each with other gear) but everybody has at least a Baofeng - ham or not.
I'm going with the ICOM ID-5100A. I would have to add something like Argent Data Tracker2, Tracker3, Byonics TinyTrak3, TinyTrak4, etc... to get it to support APRS. I like the D-STAR supported by ICOM, so that's what is going in the rig.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I do like GMRS as a trail radio, because there is no test. I know it's "easy" but it can actually be a barrier to some people. There is a lot of garbage questions in the Ham test that are out dated I feel. I get people might build their own radios. But really, do I need a proficient understanding of electronics to use a radio I bought on Amazon? No. How about a better focus on the rules and regs.

The other reason I like GMRS as a trail radio, overlap with FRS. This means folks who don't have licenses all the way up to triband ham users can still all talk on the right channels.

This past May this was our format, using two overlap frequencies. Guys with Ham license, had side private comms, folks who were new only needed to buy a cheap hand held.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I do like GMRS as a trail radio, because there is no test. I know it's "easy" but it can actually be a barrier to some people. There is a lot of garbage questions in the Ham test that are out dated I feel. I get people might build their own radios. But really, do I need a proficient understanding of electronics to use a radio I bought on Amazon? No. How about a better focus on the rules and regs.

The other reason I like GMRS as a trail radio, overlap with FRS. This means folks who don't have licenses all the way up to triband ham users can still all talk on the right channels.

This past May this was our format, using two overlap frequencies. Guys with Ham license, had side private comms, folks who were new only needed to buy a cheap hand held.
Little off topic for GMRS thread: No license is required to purchase a HAM. I'm installing mine now, so I can listen in on conversations. I want to be more familiar with common protocol, before I get my license, and start transmitting. Not breaking any rules, as long as I don't transmit without a license. I want to be a fly on the wall for a bit.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

People with expo rigs complaining about $70.00 :angry: Are you all poor people or something? It's $70 bucks. Jeez.

And the rules are changing, it will cover 10yrs starting in 2018.
Exactly and once it is changed to 10 years that's $7 a year... Forgo a couple lattes a week and you will recoup that $70 in no time.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I like the D-STAR supported by ICOM
Seems like a superior system - just make sure there are enough other users out there to support the platform (e.g. igates, etc.). When I looked into D-STAR there were not enough supporting infrastructure bits to make it work as a whole - and I live in ICOM's backyard. Not trying to diss ICOM, I really like them, just sharing what I learned years ago - things may have changed since then...

Reactions: Jeff Graham

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Little off topic for GMRS thread: No license is required to purchase a HAM. I'm installing mine now, so I can listen in on conversations. I want to be more familiar with common protocol, before I get my license, and start transmitting. Not breaking any rules, as long as I don't transmit without a license. I want to be a fly on the wall for a bit.
Same applies for GMRS too really. A nice little handheld like a Baofeng uv-5r can be handy. The great thing with them, is not only can you listen in on HAM, but you can also use FRS/GMRS channels. I actually have four for the events I host to pass out, pre-programmed for FSR/GMRS stations.

But really, if you just study for the test, you'll learn proper protocol. Call Sign: WQYY380

Another thing I like about GMRS, is while some scuff at the license, it covers everyone in your household. This means the wife can use the Baofeng as well on the trail.

jeepsnstuff

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sandia Park new mexico
Member #

I'm going all out: CB, FRS/GMRS, Ham 2m/70cm. I'm working on my Ham technician now. Should have it by end of summer, depending on work test dates etc...
I did the same I travel alone and like all the options. I payed for my GMRS but felt like I was getting ripped off the whole time. It should be $70 for life at that price.

jeepsnstuff

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sandia Park new mexico
Member #

Exactly and once it is changed to 10 years that's $7 a year... Forgo a couple lattes a week and you will recoup that $70 in no time.
I agree but part of me also feels like I get way more from ham for less. There are so many people on GMRS channels that don't even know you need a license it may as well be $70 to use CB.