Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
If you went through the ULS you should be able to pull up your license and have it. It's not currently REQUIRED to ID on GMRS but it is "good operating practice" and locally just the last 3 digits are used after contact is made.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Reactions: Itacal and TerryD

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Ok, I paid my $70.00 and now I need to know how or when do you get a call sign? Do I need to wait till I can get my license in 10 days?
Usually only takes a day or two. Check the ULS website. You should be able to log in with your FRN and password and check on it or do a license search by name (last name, first name). Probably easier to log in and check your account.

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

TroutRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Durango, Colorado
First Name
David
Last Name
@
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KY0TEQ
Questions about GMRS. So it’s required to have a license to operate on all GMRS frequencies or just the ones that are repeated? My next question is once you get your license how can you get privileges to operate on the repeated GMRS channels? Do you get a code for your radio that opens up the repeated channels and allows your radio to transmit/receive on those channels? I have a pair of Motorola Talk About radios that are both FRS and GMRS and I think it has repeater GMRS channel capabilities.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Questions about GMRS. So it’s required to have a license to operate on all GMRS frequencies or just the ones that are repeated? My next question is once you get your license how can you get privileges to operate on the repeated GMRS channels? Do you get a code for your radio that opens up the repeated channels and allows your radio to transmit/receive on those channels? I have a pair of Motorola Talk About radios that are both FRS and GMRS and I think it has repeater GMRS channel capabilities.
The cost of the GMRS license is $79 for 10 years. Everyone in your family can transmit with it.

Some repeaters are privately owned, so you'll need permission, sometimes at a very small cast.
myGMRS.com has more info.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Questions about GMRS. So it’s required to have a license to operate on all GMRS frequencies or just the ones that are repeated?
FRS and GMRS radios share the same frequencies. If the radio is capable of more than 2 watts you need a GMRS license.
As Michael (@eagle_A40 ) noted privilege of using a repeater is granted by the repeater owner. Some are open for all to use and some are by permission only.

Last edited:
Reactions: eagle_A40

TroutRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Durango, Colorado
First Name
David
Last Name
@
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KY0TEQ
FRS and GMRS radios share the same frequencies. If the radio capable of more than 2 watts you need a GMRS license.
As Michael (@eagle_A40 ) noted privilege of using a repeater is granted by the repeater owner. Some are open for all to use and some are by permission only.
Gotcha . I just for grins applied for the GMRS license to pacify my wait time until I take the Ham Technician exam on December 7th.

Knight Raider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Leicht
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREZ615
Today I Paid the $70 for GMRS License and I didn’t see how long it takes to get a call sign, does anyone know? Thanks.

OB#20908

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
Today I Paid the $70 for GMRS License and I didn’t see how long it takes to get a call sign, does anyone know? Thanks.

OB#20908
Nice! I bought mine in the morning on the 27th and received the call sign and info by 10:30 that night.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Ok... My head is spinning!!! I'm a newbie and most of this stuff is a bit confusing at this point. Rather than sift through a bunch of posts and/or ask a bunch of basic questions, is there a good book, guide, or maybe even a good web-site, that would help me get started understanding the basics of what the different types of radios are and are used for? At this point, something not too technical, maybe with lots of pictures would be good :grimacing:

Reactions: Prerunner1982

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Ok... My head is spinning!!! I'm a newbie and most of this stuff is a bit confusing at this point. Rather than sift through a bunch of posts and/or ask a bunch of basic questions, is there a good book, guide, or maybe even a good web-site, that would help me get started understanding the basics of what the different types of radios are and are used for? At this point, something not too technical, maybe with lots of pictures would be good :grimacing:
Well, this is the GMRS thread so it goes like this for GMRS service radios:

Cheap blister pack HT's from box store: Low power FRS radios. Share freq with GMRS
More expensive GMRS HT's: Higher power, require the GMRS license, some work repeaters (for larger area coverage when available)
Mobile mounted GMRS radios: (Midland, ect) Higher power still, work repeaters, but tied to a vehicle.

There's not much in the way of explaining, so if that didn't cover you question, just let me know! Be glad to help.

Remember, GMRS is NOT Ham radio. A license for one does not allow you to use the other.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Are you asking different type GRMS radios, or about the difference between Ham, GRMS and CB radios?

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Are you asking different type GRMS radios, or about the difference between Ham, GRMS and CB radios?
Really, both... I kinda jumped in with both feet and bought a handheld ham radio, a CB radio, and a GMRS radio. I already have a handheld VHF radio that the locals use to communicate in the area we frequent in Baja. I bought them figuring for now I could at least listen in when doing runs, and more importantly, because my wife said Ok. Then, after a while I'll figure out what licenses I want to get based on what I decide is the most useful for the types of trips I'll be doing.

Someone also told me that some ham radios will also work on some CB and VHF channels. Once I've got things figured out, I would prefer to have fewer radios, antennas, cables, Etc. that can do more so I can avoid this:
dash-cams-top-2x1-lowres1024-2312.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
From my understanding, even though the ham can work on GRMS and CB it’s against the law,

@Prerunner1982, can you jump in here and help a noob out please.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Really, both... I kinda jumped in with both feet and bought a handheld ham radio, a CB radio, and a GMRS radio. I already have a handheld VHF radio that the locals use to communicate in the area we frequent in Baja. I bought them figuring for now I could at least listen in when doing runs, and more importantly, because my wife said Ok. Then, after a while I'll figure out what licenses I want to get based on what I decide is the most useful for the types of trips I'll be doing.

Someone also told me that some ham radios will also work on some CB and VHF channels. Once I've got things figured out, I would prefer to have fewer radios, antennas, cables, Etc. that can do more so I can avoid this:
View attachment 134602
in reality you need all three radios, each serves a different purpose... personally if only wanting on radio, go cb... I have run CB for years, but the further out I start to explore the more I realized that I needed Ham. GRMS hasn’t taken off yet in my area too well, although I know now a few people are making the switch, so I may at one point as well.

Reactions: HIALT2D

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

From my understanding, even though the ham can work on GRMS and CB it’s against the law...
Bingo. UHF ham can be made to work on GMRS. Big HF ham radios can be made to work on CB. Neither is legal as radios (except ham radios) have to meet certain requirements and be certified by the FCC to operate on their respective frequencies.
Illegal modifications of radios is neither condoned or discussed on OB.