Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
All my friends ask me that too... it seams all I do is sleep...

My trick is... I know my physical limitations, I pick a project that I can complete with my limitations in the time frame between trips. Hence I am done tripping :p for the year, because the Bronco engine is taking a toll on me. And I can’t fit trips into the schedule until after the Bronco is done.
Funny thing is though, the Bronco has been on 2 trips this year, while @KRose 4Runner has been on 2 multi day trips and several day trips...

I feel like fishing, if this cool weather holds off maybe I can hit the small lake above town tomorrow and get some nice rainbows.
Baum creek reservoir? I miss the time I was there. ATV ride all the way around, 3 days of camping, And all the trails in the area. Flushed a Elk on a trail, and a black bear in the trees on a couple of trails away from the water proper. The hot springs place was closed when we went by there. We camped right in that button hook area where the state land/road/ and private property all converge in a 100 foot area. Never got a bite on my line. Only those who had a boat or floatie, and could get out in the deeper water, Had a ranger get on my now EX BIL about cutting and collecting firewood without a permit (young guy). Well my BIL told him he was out of his jurisdiction by 50 feet :grinning: He knew that because he was a timber buyer, and has lived in the area all his life. The ranger had to go consult a map. It amazed me how many people knew him by name. Baker City, Telacasset, La Grande, Pendelton etc. Some day I would like to get back up there.

PS: I left out Union city, and the Cemetery accidentally, along with the town of North Powder(old sawmill),.......for those following along. Nice country, and manageable/acceptable snow levels.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Balm Creek reservoir , Thief Valley, Wolf Creek, Pilcher, are all dry. They drained them earlier this month for the fires.

Medical Springs (the hot springs place) closed in the early 60’s to the public, them privately closed in the early 70’s.

when you were fishing in Balm Creek Res, you were 2 miles from the best fly fishing you could ever do in your life up on West Eagle Meadow Road. We go up there (5 of us) and limit out on trout in a matter of 30 minutes, they hit so hard we put a 13” size limit on them... anything over or under 13” goes back.

Any time you want to come back this way Jerold, just come on up. Although late August/ early September is best for the trout fishing, and if your up to barreling the cold December/January for the spring salmon and steak head runs.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

This is a very good explanation for us beginners. Thank you for your time and effort here. :-)
With everything I'm learning from you and the others here, sharing a little about radios seems like the least I can do. I'm just thankful for everyone contributing on the things they've learned - every little bit shared brings us all up a level.

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
I feel all official now, my GMRS Callsign and Authorization letter came through, lol.
I'm completely new to this and have been looking for someone just like you, who has recently gone through the procedures of getting the appropriate stuff to use GMRS radios...
What is the website I would need to get this stuff done and is there a phone number that I'll eventually need? lol How do I find and where are the callsign people and the license people? I'm a bit confused by it all, to be honest :) Thanks in advance for any information you could give me :)

Reactions: LostInThought

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm completely new to this and have been looking for someone just like you, who has recently gone through the procedures of getting the appropriate stuff to use GMRS radios...
What is the website I would need to get this stuff done and is there a phone number that I'll eventually need? lol How do I find and where are the callsign people and the license people? I'm a bit confused by it all, to be honest :) Thanks in advance for any information you could give me :)
Are you wanting GMRS? Or Ham? Two different things... and two different places to go get the information.

For GMRS: @MBroenkow wrote an excellent article called How To: GMRS - ZA FCC LICENSE that walks you through the whole process to get your GMRS license. It’s very easy to obtain. Just fallow his links and you will have your license shortly.

For Amateur Radio License: I have put together a study guide to get you from 0 to Tech in 6 days or less, if you’re interested in this send me a direct message and I’ll forward you the information. I can’t post publicly. Any one else looking for the information also feel free to DM with the subject “Ham Radio Testing”.

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
Are you wanting GMRS? Or Ham? Two different things... and two different places to go get the information.

For GMRS: @MBroenkow wrote an excellent article called How To: GMRS - ZA FCC LICENSE that walks you through the whole process to get your GMRS license. It’s very easy to obtain. Just fallow his links and you will have your license shortly.

For Amateur Radio License: I have put together a study guide to get you from 0 to Tech in 6 days or less, if you’re interested in this send me a direct message and I’ll forward you the information. I can’t post publicly. Any one else looking for the information also feel free to DM with the subject “Ham Radio Testing”.
THANK YOU!!! The info that you gave me lent me the ability to sign up and within minutes had done my part to get the GMRS license...Just waiting for the PDF to come back :) Thanks again!!!

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I am sure there are many different views but we have had great luck with the Midland MXT-275 in combination with the GXT1000VP4 handhelds. We have had great results with range, clarity, accessing repeaters, etc. Of all the things I tweak and change on the rig this is the one setup that I have had no desire to change. I have a Kenwood and a B-tech and they are fine but the midland stuff "just works". Not expensive and fairly easy to install. I would recommend them all day long.
20210524_234137251_iOS (2).jpg20210416_132818996_iOS (2).jpg20210524_233629120_iOS (2).jpg

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
Some events are requiring grms now from cb I’m going to run both Chandigarh grms in my Jeep and Motorhome maybe lateraddthemtomy truck. I’m not getting them touselocallyexceptinan emergency butto Herat events if happen to get lucky and a local use them so much the better.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I am sure there are many different views but we have had great luck with the Midland MXT-275 in combination with the GXT1000VP4 handhelds. We have had great results with range, clarity, accessing repeaters, etc. Of all the things I tweak and change on the rig this is the one setup that I have had no desire to change. I have a Kenwood and a B-tech and they are fine but the midland stuff "just works". Not expensive and fairly easy to install. I would recommend them all day long.
View attachment 203875View attachment 203876View attachment 203877
My issue with Midland handhelds (and I own 2 sets for handout radios and for the kids) is they still don't have any models that work with repeaters. To me that's a big oversight on their part.

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
My issue with Midland handhelds (and I own 2 sets for handout radios and for the kids) is they still don't have any models that work with repeaters. To me that's a big oversight on their part.
For sure. Definitely a missed opportunity on their part. I bought a UV-5R for that exact reason but honestly I find I don't ever use the handhelds on the repeater network. I can, and I have for fun, but at 8w (or 5ish for the Midland handhelds) there is just not enough juice (or antenna) to really have them work well in my experience. It would definitely be a "nice to have" though especially if you were trying to do some sort of mobile/remote camp repeater setup. I will say that my MXT-275 and MXT-115 both hit the North Georgia GMRS repeater network great and I have had really good results with the 3db shorty "ghost" antenna on the truck and on my daily driver.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
For sure. Definitely a missed opportunity on their part. I bought a UV-5R for that exact reason but honestly I find I don't ever use the handhelds on the repeater network. I can, and I have for fun, but at 8w (or 5ish for the Midland handhelds) there is just not enough juice (or antenna) to really have them work well in my experience. It would definitely be a "nice to have" though especially if you were trying to do some sort of mobile/remote camp repeater setup. I will say that my MXT-275 and MXT-115 both hit the North Georgia GMRS repeater network great and I have had really good results with the 3db shorty "ghost" antenna on the truck and on my daily driver.
We've got a really kick ass GMRS repeater here locally. Covers nearly a 50 mile radius. I can talk from the east edge of Dallas County (rockwall) to my house with ease with a mobile. I can sit at my kitchen table and chat with any of my handhelds even with the power turned down to 1 watt I get full quieting out of them. So for my specific use it works pretty well to have handhelds with that options. I have a mix of various HTs but my Motorola Jedis are my favorite for local use. When I travel I take something else because I need to be able to change tones on the fly and the surplus commercial radios aren't about that life.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
This was similar to my setup back before my MXT-275 took the plunge into the water :/ (I had it mounted about as low as i could on my rig and had just enough water in the cab to kill the radio). I still have the handhelds you have and they are great! I won't be replacing my MXT as I'm about to get a FTM-400 for my vehicle based radio. The handhelds have enough range for me.