Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
I just received my MXT275 today. It looks good and very compact. I had thought from pictures it was larger. I am new at this so I have much to learn.
Never fear... If any of us had all the answers, we would own everything! We all have much to learn. In fact, the older I get, the more I realize I still have to learn. The MXT275 is a highly rated unit and should serve you well!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Never fear... If any of us had all the answers, we would own everything! We all have much to learn. In fact, the older I get, the more I realize I still have to learn. The MXT275 is a highly rated unit and should serve you well!
After reading so many good comments about the MXT275 here in the forums I am glad I chose it for my needs. I have yet to install it because I was in the hospital for 11 days and then another 3 weeks in rehab. I still dont have the leg strength to do much of anything. I'm behind on all my rig installs for now but time will remedy that. Thanks for your comment and yes we never get too old to learn thank God.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
After reading so many good comments about the MXT275 here in the forums I am glad I chose it for my needs. I have yet to install it because I was in the hospital for 11 days and then another 3 weeks in rehab. I still dont have the leg strength to do much of anything. I'm behind on all my rig installs for now but time will remedy that. Thanks for your comment and yes we never get too old to learn thank God.
Luckily the 275 is very user friendly (almost like operating a cb). As for install, it’s simple enough when your leg strength returns you just need to hook up battery wires and run them under your seat, then Velcro the unit to the carpet... run a pc cable up to your dah for your mic to plug in and you’re done... with our disabilities we are talking about 3 easy days of work... 20 minutes a day.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Luckily the 275 is very user friendly (almost like operating a cb). As for install, it’s simple enough when your leg strength returns you just need to hook up battery wires and run them under your seat, then Velcro the unit to the carpet... run a pc cable up to your dah for your mic to plug in and you’re done... with our disabilities we are talking about 3 easy days of work... 20 minutes a day.
You sure seem to get all your work done and throw in a couple of outings in between. I've never known anyone who is so active as you with all your many projects. Do you ever sleep Mike ? :-)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You sure seem to get all your work done and throw in a couple of outings in between. I've never known anyone who is so active as you with all your many projects. Do you ever sleep Mike ? :-)
All my friends ask me that too... it seams all I do is sleep...

My trick is... I know my physical limitations, I pick a project that I can complete with my limitations in the time frame between trips. Hence I am done tripping :p for the year, because the Bronco engine is taking a toll on me. And I can’t fit trips into the schedule until after the Bronco is done.
Funny thing is though, the Bronco has been on 2 trips this year, while @KRose 4Runner has been on 2 multi day trips and several day trips...

I feel like fishing, if this cool weather holds off maybe I can hit the small lake above town tomorrow and get some nice rainbows.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
One thing I like about the MXT275 is the remote Mic. I am working out mounting the body inside the dash and using a remote rj45 port in my dash for a very clean install.
View attachment 168227
Where did you get that RJ-45 connector? And do the make one labeled VHF and HF?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
One thing I like about the MXT275 is the remote Mic. I am working out mounting the body inside the dash and using a remote rj45 port in my dash for a very clean install.
View attachment 168227
I'd like to see some pic's of that install if you can please.
All my friends ask me that too... it seams all I do is sleep...

My trick is... I know my physical limitations, I pick a project that I can complete with my limitations in the time frame between trips. Hence I am done tripping :p for the year, because the Bronco engine is taking a toll on me. And I can’t fit trips into the schedule until after the Bronco is done.
Funny thing is though, the Bronco has been on 2 trips this year, while @KRose 4Runner has been on 2 multi day trips and several day trips...

I feel like fishing, if this cool weather holds off maybe I can hit the small lake above town tomorrow and get some nice rainbows.
My new rod was supposed to be in yesterday. I checked the tracking and it said it was delivered to the Post office, then it said the package was dispatched to the sender. So I'm waiting for the PO to open this morning to find out what is going on.

• Sad
Reactions: M Rose

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I'd like to see some pic's of that install if you can please.

My new rod was supposed to be in yesterday. I checked the tracking and it said it was delivered to the Post office, then it said the package was dispatched to the sender. So I'm waiting for the PO to open this morning to find out what is going on.
I am 3d printing a faceplate to mount everything in the lower cubby in my Subaru. Once I have it all installed I wll post pics. It wont be anytime soon. I have the design done, but my access to my 3d printer has been cut off for the time being... so I need a new machine.

adam.eaton

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eaton
I have a midland MXT275 in the Jeep hard wired and a couple handhelds for the kids when we base camp. I also use the handhelds to give to people without GMRS when on the trail. This works well. I have found the 15W to be more than sufficient while convoying in challenging terrain but it is no where near the advertised theoretical range of 36 miles.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I have a midland MXT275 in the Jeep hard wired and a couple handhelds for the kids when we base camp. I also use the handhelds to give to people without GMRS when on the trail. This works well. I have found the 15W to be more than sufficient while convoying in challenging terrain but it is no where near the advertised theoretical range of 36 miles.
My midland 275 skips over the handheld channels that are supposed to work with FRS handhelds. Do you know how to get the radio to see channels 8-14? thanks

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
You have a great little radio Jim, like I said in our side conversation I was really thinking of getting it, but wife said either get that rig and scrap my plan of getting a higher powered ham radio with Mars/Cap mod or stick to my original plan... so it’s sticking to the original plan.

I was looking at my buddy’s rig last week, he as an AnyTone dual band radio (forget the model of it), a Uniden Bear Cat, and a Midland Of some kind all mounted in his Silverado. His dash is cluttered... In a couple of weeks, I’m going to help him get it uncluttered so his coms setup won’t be so confusing.
" I’m going to help him get it uncluttered so his coms setup won’t be so confusing."

I can so relate with my 2003. That was a main concern with the down size of my Cobra 140 to a Uniden 520 XL CB, and the purchase of the Midland GMRS 275. There is only so much real estate to use, before it becomes overly cluttered. By using these more minuture units, it allows placement between the console and front passenger seat, without interference. Finally I scored a Amazon phone bracket made for my model truck. The one a couple of months ago that was sold out and unavailable. Should be delivered next week. It was the last one (***since been updated to 20 in stock***), so I did not hesitate. By using H/D wide Velcro, I can easily mount or remove without drilling holes in my trucks console for the radios.1601156985286.png
InDash Mount for Select Chevrolet, GMC - Cadillac Vehicles -
1601157090453.png
I am also hoping that with a multi screw in bracket, I can avoid any sway or vibration that a cup holder stalk type mount would entail. This is important if I do a phone to tablet switch out in the future (weight). It also keeps my line of vision thru the windshield clear. I have seen some setups that while allowing easy access and viewing of screens, are guareenteed to get you a ticket for obstruction of view. Many cops will get you for just a graduation tassel, which really causes NO obstruction. I saw one photo on here that was 'complete' for the space shuttle. Everything within arms reach, but WOW.......

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

My midland 275 skips over the handheld channels that are supposed to work with FRS handhelds. Do you know how to get the radio to see channels 8-14? thanks
You can't, because the maximum wattage on those channels are a 1/2 watt and the radio won't do that. However, FRS and GMRS share all the same channels so you can talk to handhelds one of the other channels.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

You can't, because the maximum wattage on those channels are a 1/2 watt and the radio won't do that. However, FRS and GMRS share all the same channels so you can talk to handhelds one of the other channels.
Thanks for the reply, So when they advertise as 22 channel radio, that depends on other equitment being used with it? I really dont know how these work, so appreciate aaaaany insight.

Reactions: LostInThought

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Thanks for the reply, So when they advertise as 22 channel radio, that depends on other equitment being used with it? I really dont know how these work, so appreciate aaaaany insight.
The allowed frequencies (channels) and the transmit power limits for each of those frequencies are allocated to the FRS/GMRS radio service by the FCC. The frequencies and the max transmit power are set so as not to interfere with adjacent services. These are basically "baked into" the radio. The Midland 275 has 15 (simplex) channels plus 8 repeater channels.

More than you wanted to know:

Simplex channels basically function the way you'd expect walkie-talkie or CB channels to function, as a direct transmission from your radio to your friend's radio. LImited by line of sight, the transmit/receive range may be only a few miles.

Repeater channels are a little different - there are basically 4 radios involved: yours, your friend's, and a pair of linked radios (input and output) call the "repeater". The repeater is usually placed high - a mountaintop - to maximize the range (which at these frequencies is roughly line of sight). So if you and your friend can both see the mountaintop from 50 miles in opposite directions, you can effectively talk to each other from 100 miles apart. So how does this work? Both you and your friend tune in to listen to the repeater's output - usually a high power transmitter with a very efficient antenna. When you press PTT on your mic, the radio automatically switches to the repeater's input frequency and if you have set the repeater's access tone on your radio, this will trigger the repeater to "hear" your transmission, and immediately retransmit it over the input-output link and back out of the repeater output where your friend can hear it. With my 275, it isn't unusual be able to use repeaters 40 miles away, and anyone within ~40 miles of that repeater can hear the transmission.

There are GMRS repeaters scattered all over, though they aren't as numerous as the ham repeaters. The hams running repeaters also have one more trick: linking the repeaters, so that an input heard on any one of the is retransmitted through all of the outputs. With New Mexico's linked repeater systems, the effective range for my mobile ham radio can be upwards of 500 miles - a neat trick for something that is roughly line-of-sight limited.

But, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. I'll answer as best I can.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The allowed frequencies (channels) and the transmit power limits for each of those frequencies are allocated to the FRS/GMRS radio service by the FCC. The frequencies and the max transmit power are set so as not to interfere with adjacent services. These are basically "baked into" the radio. The Midland 275 has 15 (simplex) channels plus 8 repeater channels.

More than you wanted to know:

Simplex channels basically function the way you'd expect walkie-talkie or CB channels to function, as a direct transmission from your radio to your friend's radio. LImited by line of sight, the transmit/receive range may be only a few miles.

Repeater channels are a little different - there are basically 4 radios involved: yours, your friend's, and a pair of linked radios (input and output) call the "repeater". The repeater is usually placed high - a mountaintop - to maximize the range (which at these frequencies is roughly line of sight). So if you and your friend can both see the mountaintop from 50 miles in opposite directions, you can effectively talk to each other from 100 miles apart. So how does this work? Both you and your friend tune in to listen to the repeater's output - usually a high power transmitter with a very efficient antenna. When you press PTT on your mic, the radio automatically switches to the repeater's input frequency and if you have set the repeater's access tone on your radio, this will trigger the repeater to "hear" your transmission, and immediately retransmit it over the input-output link and back out of the repeater output where your friend can hear it. With my 275, it isn't unusual be able to use repeaters 40 miles away, and anyone within ~40 miles of that repeater can hear the transmission.

There are GMRS repeaters scattered all over, though they aren't as numerous as the ham repeaters. The hams running repeaters also have one more trick: linking the repeaters, so that an input heard on any one of the is retransmitted through all of the outputs. With New Mexico's linked repeater systems, the effective range for my mobile ham radio can be upwards of 500 miles - a neat trick for something that is roughly line-of-sight limited.

But, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. I'll answer as best I can.
This is a very good explanation for us beginners. Thank you for your time and effort here. :-)

Reactions: LostInThought