Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
How do you plan for a trip to parts unknown? Maps are a great place to start, but what else do you use to determine what areas to explore, what's available, local rules and regulations, etc. Good advance planning makes for a positive experience, so how do you all do it?

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
That's pretty much what I do, but I never know where to start. I guess start mapping out a tentative route, and then drill in with refinements?

Reactions: dziner

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

I always start with at least a vague idea of where I want to go, followed by a quick Google Maps overview of the fastest way to get there. This is usually just to get an idea of what major highways will get me there, and to also get an idea as to nearby towns/cities etc...

I follow this up by seeing if there are any national/provincial parks on the way, or any locations that I may have heard of that are supposed to be fun places to visit. Then I narrow in my focus with more detailed maps, and try to find information of places to see on government/county websites as @Shizzy recommended. I would also recommend checking out Micheal and Corrie's trip planner as a reminder to check the necessities of what you may need to bring.

Narrow Road Adventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

First, I usually figure out what main destinations I want to be sure and stop at (i.e. Waterfalls, rock formation, body of water). Second, I figure out any key roads/trails I want to go down (ideally between my key destinations). I then figure out where I might want to make camp for the nights; this can sometime be difficult to plan as travel time/distance can very depending on the terrain. After that I route out the rest of the roads/trails to complete the travel plans. While I'm planner type, I also try not to keep too ridged of a plan to allow flexibility and spur the moment exploration.
Now, I don't have a lot of experience but this is my method so far. I am also following this thread to hopefully pick up other ideas as well. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Captain Josh

No Known Boundaries

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Western US
Member #

The most accurate way to confirm route viability is to utilize the Forest Service's MVUMs (Motor Vehicle Usage Maps). These are highly-detailed maps that have a comprehensive legend for paved highways, local county roads, offroad trails that can accommodate various types of vehicles, and non-motorized paths.

Start by visiting this Forest Service site, and selecting the area you're planning to explore. In combination with the tracks you've created in your preferred format (GPX/KML), you can verify that your path can support your vehicle and keep you out of trouble in private property. Even better is that they come in .pdf format, so you can load them into your preferred navigation hardware (tablet/phone/notebook), and just bounce between programs with your nav running to verify in real time.

It is highly important that you use the latest versions of these MVUMs, as former 4WD routes on outdated topographical maps have often become private property. To an infuriating level of regularity. MVUMs are what I would consider the "final draft" before you're on the trail making a real time re-route.

Pd.Dross

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Rio Rancho, NM, USA
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Dross
Member #

Where are you all getting maps? I have been all over the USFS, and BLM sites for some maps, but what other types of maps are you guys using? I do have US Topo maps app on my phone but there has to be a better way of finding trails.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
The most accurate way to confirm route viability is to utilize the Forest Service's MVUMs (Motor Vehicle Usage Maps). These are highly-detailed maps that have a comprehensive legend for paved highways, local county roads, offroad trails that can accommodate various types of vehicles, and non-motorized paths.

Start by visiting this Forest Service site, and selecting the area you're planning to explore. In combination with the tracks you've created in your preferred format (GPX/KML), you can verify that your path can support your vehicle and keep you out of trouble in private property. Even better is that they come in .pdf format, so you can load them into your preferred navigation hardware (tablet/phone/notebook), and just bounce between programs with your nav running to verify in real time.

It is highly important that you use the latest versions of these MVUMs, as former 4WD routes on outdated topographical maps have often become private property. To an infuriating level of regularity. MVUMs are what I would consider the "final draft" before you're on the trail making a real time re-route.
I have come to see these as an extremely valuable resource for trip planning. Thanks for throwing it in here!

Reactions: No Known Boundaries

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm trying to learn how to best plan a route as well. It's one things to enter a location into Google Maps and start driving. But for my trip to Overland Expo West I'll need to cover around 2,200 miles. My dilemma is determining how many miles can I put in each day, and how do I determine where I'm going to crash each night knowing I need to be at my destination in x days?

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Google Maps/Earth are great places to start. I'll use Maps for the highway driving part to sort travel times, motels (if needed), and gas stations. This usually means having multiple browser tabs open, one for the main track and others for segments. The segments are where I punch my start location and try different towns for range/time. When I start to narrow everything down, I'll go back to the main track and start adding destinations and get a better overall of feel for the trip at that point.

Knowing how far you can travel is going to be determined by the members in the trip, and how many there are. Realistically, you want everyone going, driver or not, to have a say in their comfort level. Some people can't do more than 6 hours per day. Kids are a major factor when figuring this out too. I don't have any, but have been on trips where the kids out number the adults. Car sickenss, bio breaks, eating etc. all take time. Try to coordinate bio breaks. When the group gets over 4-5 trucks this time suck can grow exponentially.

Rendezvous points to meet other group members can easily take 20-60 minutes. As a trip leader, I usually give a meeting time 30 minutes before I want the group to be leaving. It's up to you to decide if you want to wait for others past the designated time, or leave on time. En route communications with others in the group is a great way to track your schedule and decide if you want to wait or not.

Google Earth comes in for trail finding and creating the entire track for the GPS file. I'll lay a path for what looks to be the main route, and then add additional routes that look promising (if the main one is blocked, too difficult, closed, turn around/emergency escape points etc.). Some sites/forums have available gpx tracks so you can see if you're on track, haha. This is also where you can start looking into land ownership. You might be crossing a national park/forest, enter BLM land, or cross private property.

At that point I go to that service's website and start checking for permit needs (firewood, or large groups). It's not always easy to make sense, or even find the info you want. About 4 years ago I was planning a Mojave Road trip. I found two different numbers for the number of trucks/people in your group before needing a permit on their site. I talked to a Ranger for clarification. It's good to call well in advance to make sure there are no current closures, or if there are, will they be open when you're going through. Again, using the MR as an example, there was a big washout that closed a large section about 20 miles in. Filing a travel itinerary with a ranger station is a very good idea. For a longer trail like Mojave, you should call the offices at both ends of the trail and give them the same trip info.

Some popular places have local groups with websites that can answer a lot of questions, or give you more timely info. The Rubicon Trail Foundation, Friends of the Mojave, Friends of Black Rock are all examples of locals recognizing the need to get the word out. Some of these trails only stay open through the dedication of these people.

I'm big on safety too. Before every trip I lead, I make sure to collect the following info for each person:
Emergency contact info
Allergies or pertinent medical conditions/info
Their cell number (make sure it's the phone they take on the trip, not a work number)
Details on their vehicle and mods
Recovery equipment if hard conditions are expected

I keep a digital copy of this on my phone and also a printed copy in the truck. I'll let someone else in the group know where that info is just in case. It also becomes a checklist for rendezvous points to make sure you're not forgetting anyone. I've lead trips with 20 trucks and 3 rendezvous points. It's important that you know you have everyone, or have made contact with them so they know what the rest of the group is doing, or where they are. Radio comms are very important for this too, but that's a different subject.

For long or far away trips, I sometimes have a designated point person back home. They have a copy of the itinerary and group list with contact info. They are responsible (when deemed necessary) to make the call to the emergency contact(s). This takes the load off the trip leader to deal with the situation on the trail, while progress is happening back home at the same time.

It's also smart to spend time searching for hospitals, repair shops, dealers for parts, sheriff/ranger stations, auto part stores, etc. But those can be useless if you can't get to them, or figure out how to in the first place. For a long trip, I will find a track for each day to use as an emergency exit. Many times this is the same track you'll be driving, but other times, a road a few miles back will lead to civilization much faster.

Let's see, did I miss anything? Probably, but this is a "quick" brain dump of my approach to trip planning. It might seem like overkill, but one mistake out in the middle of nowhere can be rather costly. A lot of times this info has already been researched, but as a trip leader, it's up to you to be sure the info is current and accurate. One time I set a rendezvous point that we had used for years. It was a gas station, but on this trip it had closed months earlier. It wasn't a big deal as the gas station was in a shopping plaza and there was one across the street, but it drove home the point of making sure your info is solid. The next time we went through that area, the gas station was open again.

Influencer II

I may not have the experience that many others have here, but as a backpacker, here's my input.

I ALWAYS try to gather as much information as I can before heading out through the internet, friends/family who've gone. When I get to the closest town, I try to ask locals while I'm at a gas stop or restaurant. If there's an information booth, I definitely head there since they more often than not, know quite a good amount.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Where are you all getting maps? I have been all over the USFS, and BLM sites for some maps, but what other types of maps are you guys using? I do have US Topo maps app on my phone but there has to be a better way of finding trails.
Have you looked here yet?
https://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/

I found this to be super simple way to get paper maps for any National Forest.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

We really do like to camp at either campgrounds or just off to the side and tucked away somewhere is cool. That being said, I also bring Roscoe for self-defense, and always make sure what states my permit allows me to carry and which ones I have to lock up as I travel through. Don't want to get jammed up like that. I then, like others, look up information about the destination and some cool spots along the way that we could stop at. I try to have an idea as to where we will be camping and see what native wildlife we may encounter. In NY we may not see as many poisonous snakes or feral pigs like other parts. Just like to be ready for what we may encounter. Always look at the projected weather, and of course have all medical cards and extensive 1st aid kit available. The rest we can wing it I guess. Just my .02