Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

T4 is still in the store and on sale
Thx. I had decided on the T3x, with the T4 Overland edition a distant second. Both of those are OOS. So if anyone is thinking about the plain T4 grab it now!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Scooped up a T4 off of the OB Store. They actually had the Alpine Green in stock, thankfully. Only did a yard setup with it but man I really like this thing. It's nice to be able to stand up in a tent for once. It was a bit windy that day so I had a few issues with wall collapse on the windward side but I guyed out the two walls on that side and all was well.

Can't wait to get it out on a real run somewhere.

jeeper_4_life

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kansas
First Name
Rob
Last Name
E
Member #

We are considering getting a T8. We currently have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 person tent that has been really great. Quicker setup would be nice. I had read different reviews that talked about holes or gaps around the poles that could let bugs in. Is this a real thing or did they just need to seal the velcro a little better. Anyone have a T8 and have opinions good or bad about it.

Reactions: DMS1

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We are considering getting a T8. We currently have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 person tent that has been really great. Quicker setup would be nice. I had read different reviews that talked about holes or gaps around the poles that could let bugs in. Is this a real thing or did they just need to seal the velcro a little better. Anyone have a T8 and have opinions good or bad about it.
T4 Plus here... it’s the same design as the T8. I don’t have the Velcro issue mentioned... the Velcro seals up nicely on my tent... I pull the floors out after every trip to clean them... they are a pain to put back in, but once done a few times they seal up great without as much effort.

Msfitoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greensboro NC
First Name
Sid
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
working on it
I am so close to buying a Gazelle and a Skottle, but for the Gazelle I have yet to figure out where I’d put it!
I have mid size pickup and plan on placing the T3X cross wise on the bed against the rear glass...the T4 would be too long for this placement...

ResanPralite

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Pasco County, Florida, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Wolf
Member #

I am so close to buying a Gazelle and a Skottle, but for the Gazelle I have yet to figure out where I’d put it!
I have mid size pickup and plan on placing the T3X cross wise on the bed against the rear glass...the T4 would be too long for this placement...
I have the T4 and a short bed Tacoma. It fits nicely from front to back corners at an angle. I also have the Gazelle G6 gazebo. That one was a challenge but figured out it I put the gazebo on top of the tent it fits. Snug, but it fits. I use the tent bag straps to “bind” the two together. The rest of my gear fit around them, but not secured. They also fit under my cheap tonneau cover in that configuration. Decided to get a Diamondback HD with the Frontrunner bars and secure the tent and gazebo on them and then lay down l-tracks to secure my gear under the cover.

Msfitoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greensboro NC
First Name
Sid
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
working on it
Got mine yesterday...love it...it's a darker green and maybe match my other Gazelle screen tent...and it fit cross wise on top of my bed perfectly...nice!

Reactions: MiamiC70

tigerowner

Rank III

Enthusiast II

West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Grey
Member #

Just received the T4 about 2 weeks ago. Took it to Death valley and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Camped with wife and 2 kids. Here are my observations

It is smaller than my Big Agnes. Tight fit for a family of 4.

Wind will take the tent down easily. Use guy lines on the walls if any threat of wind. I didn't and paid the price in a Death Valley sandstorm.

The basic tent goes up in 90 seconds. With stakes and rain fly 5 minutes up and down. Add more time for guy lines.

It's long and heavy. Plan on a truck or rack.

The Overland edition is the one to get. Well worth it.

If I could only pack the inside as fast as the tent I'd be set.

4/5 ⭐ losing one star for wind trouble and tight fit.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I finally ordered a T3X, I'm curious too see how it works out, and how it is packing up/down. I'm leaving for a like 10 dayish trip this week so this will be a good chance to test it and work through the issues. The only potential problem I see is stuffing it in my JKU... Its already kind of a tight fit for longer trips when its just my kid and myself... and when my partner comes along it might out of the question (unless she takes her truck).

Mateoblagana

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Santa Clarita, Ca.
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Just received the T4 about 2 weeks ago. Took it to Death valley and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Camped with wife and 2 kids. Here are my observations

It is smaller than my Big Agnes. Tight fit for a family of 4.

Wind will take the tent down easily. Use guy lines on the walls if any threat of wind. I didn't and paid the price in a Death Valley sandstorm.

The basic tent goes up in 90 seconds. With stakes and rain fly 5 minutes up and down. Add more time for guy lines.

It's long and heavy. Plan on a truck or rack.

The Overland edition is the one to get. Well worth it.

If I could only pack the inside as fast as the tent I'd be set.

4/5 ⭐ losing one star for wind trouble and tight fit.

Great review! I’ve had one for a couple years now and love it. Only issue I’ve had is the wind punch the sides in. The first time was pretty unexpected and frightening in the middle of the night. The 90 second setup is great but yeah that’s just for popping it up. Add some seconds for staking it down, putting up the rain fly, and running the guy lines.

Attachments

Reactions: tigerowner

Msfitoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greensboro NC
First Name
Sid
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
working on it
I finally ordered a T3X, I'm curious too see how it works out, and how it is packing up/down. I'm leaving for a like 10 dayish trip this week so this will be a good chance to test it and work through the issues. The only potential problem I see is stuffing it in my JKU... Its already kind of a tight fit for longer trips when its just my kid and myself... and when my partner comes along it might out of the question (unless she takes her truck).
My experience is that...it's great for one person with a cot, fold up table/chair...and what ever else you can stick under the cot/table...large net storage on several sides and an overhead loft...it is roughly the width of my pickup bed crosswise so I carry it on top of my bed cover against the rear glass...it will not fit inside my truck in the back seat...too wide...

It's cozy but like I said...for one person and personal space if you plan on hanging out...otherwise, it could sleep 3 maybe on the floor but that's all you'll be doing lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: rho

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I can fit the T4 in the back of the JKU, at an angle with the seats down, If I pull the passenger seat forward I can get it along the side. You should be ok with just the seats down.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
My experience is that...it's great for one person with a cot, fold up table/chair...and what ever else you can stick under the cot/table...large net storage on several sides and an overhead loft...it is roughly the width of my pickup bed crosswise so I carry it on top of my bed cover against the rear glass...it will not fit inside my truck in the back seat...too wide...

It's cozy but like I said...for one person and personal space if you plan on hanging out...otherwise, it could sleep 3 maybe on the floor but that's all you'll be doing lol...
I'm not a big "hang out in the tent" kind of person, and we generally pack light and are moving on from backpacking gear for car trips, so its not a big deal. That said, I'm pretty stoked with how much room the T3 has. I'm fairly tall and my kid is big, and we had plenty of room with the two of us for the 6 days we lived out of it on our recent trip. I love this thing so far.

I can fit the T4 in the back of the JKU, at an angle with the seats down, If I pull the passenger seat forward I can get it along the side. You should be ok with just the seats down.
We tend to keep the rear seats up, makes it easier to stow/secure everything.
2x action packers in the back, water brick+folding table between them then the T3, folding chairs, food box and cooler go on top of those. Chainsaw gets stashed on the side, along with the yoga mats, axe, straps and other stuff that can be sort of restrained. The backseat is usually left up to stash duffel bags with me and the kiddo, or if all three of us end up going the kid gets stuck in the back seat... At some point I should just bite the bullet and get a roof rack for the Jeep but I do enough high speed desert stuff in it that I REALLY want to keep the CG low as possible. That said, the T3 fits PERFECTLY across the back of the JKU at least.

Needless to say, I really like this tent so far.

Reactions: Msfitoy