Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

So, I got my T3 on Monday, and finally had the time to unbox it & set it up. (ufortunately, I've already taken it down & bagged it back up, Jim, otherwise I'd take some accurate measurements).

I dig it.

For me and Rox (and the Wife-o-leta, if she ever comes) it'd be fine, but a wee bit snug. Two folks yeah. Two folks and a dog, snug. One dude, just fine. I'm about 5'10 and can lay down along one side. I think a cot would be fine (even an 80", as the sides bulge, and the legs on a cot aren't at the very ends. But I'm not positive, as I've packed it up and can't measure at the moment.) I can NOT stand completely upright, but upright enough to do what I'll have to do in the upright position for the length of time I'd have to be upright to do it..... :laughing: ..... Plenty of windows, stash bags on each wall, small loft.

A 6'x6' Costco moving blanket lines the floor perfectly.

Set up... easy peasy.

Rainfly... easy peasy as long as you haven't popped the roof up yet.

Tear down... easy peasy.

Stuff sack... roomy & easy to re-pack.

Stakes were a wee bit beefier than I expected, not just wire rods.

Received it in good condition, no issues.

It's a green, bitchin' one.

Next to come, my -15 bag. Should be here tomorrow or Friday.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
So, I got my T3 on Monday, and finally had the time to unbox it & set it up. (ufortunately, I've already taken it down & bagged it back up, Jim, otherwise I'd take some accurate measurements).

I dig it.

For me and Rox (and the Wife-o-leta, if she ever comes) it'd be fine, but a wee bit snug. Two folks yeah. Two folks and a dog, snug. One dude, just fine. I'm about 5'10 and can lay down along one side. I think a cot would be fine (even an 80", as the sides bulge, and the legs on a cot aren't at the very ends. But I'm not positive, as I've packed it up and can't measure at the moment.) I can NOT stand completely upright, but upright enough to do what I'll have to do in the upright position for the length of time I'd have to be upright to do it..... :laughing: ..... Plenty of windows, stash bags on each wall, small loft.

A 6'x6' Costco moving blanket lines the floor perfectly.

Set up... easy peasy.

Rainfly... easy peasy as long as you haven't popped the roof up yet.

Tear down... easy peasy.

Stuff sack... roomy & easy to re-pack.

Stakes were a wee bit beefier than I expected, not just wire rods.

Received it in good condition, no issues.

It's a green, bitchin' one.

Next to come, my -15 bag. Should be here tomorrow or Friday.
Knowing about the side bulging helps a little. Yes the legs on my cot are not even near the end of the cot. I like a cot so that I dont need more than one chair inside. Beside that if I had to sleep in a bed roll on the ground I wouldn't be able to get up easily. Good storage under a cot as well. My idea of a good camp set up is a tent, a canopy with screen walls and the rig backed up to the canopy from the side to create an L shape. Then an awning on the outside of the Rig. All snuggled together with the camp fire on one side or the other from the canopy section maybe 20' away.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Knowing about the side bulging helps a little. Yes the legs on my cot are not even near the end of the cot. I like a cot so that I dont need more than one chair inside. Beside that if I had to sleep in a bed roll on the ground I wouldn't be able to get up easily. Good storage under a cot as well. My idea of a good camp set up is a tent, a canopy with screen walls and the rig backed up to the canopy from the side to create an L shape. Then an awning on the outside of the Rig. All snuggled together with the camp fire on one side or the other from the canopy section maybe 20' away.
My Cot is 78" x 31" so I'll make sure to get some pictures of it this weekend inside the T3 and post them up on Sunday evening or Monday!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
@Lanlubber I second what @Munga Brown says about the T3 and will add it is just amazingly fast to setup even the first time as long as you watched a YouTube video of it! I learned the lesson about the rain fly too LOL! Jim see below, my cot fit perfectly across the center of the tent where the walls bulge out, might have had an inch or two to spare on each end, should have paid more attention. Question, why do you have such a long cot? I'm 6'4" (76") tall and my cot is 78" x 31" and I fit on it great. Did find out due to the cot being elevated off the ground cold air does get under you and I will be ordering a pad for the cot and a new more cold proof sleeping bag! Other than that with a good pillow the cot is more comfortable than any air mattress or ground I've slept on!

Cot in Gazelle T3 Tent.jpgTopsail T12 Tent Site 1.jpg

Last edited:

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

You're looking for a "Thermarest Z-Lite Sol". Cheap, very packable, and very well insulating. It's foam so nothing to worry about leaking or going flat on you overnight. I do not backpack without it, it's served me as a pad while hammock-camping.

[edit] Don't forget the "Sol" in the name, the one without does not have the heat reflecting surface and YES it matters. They come in two lengths too.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
You're looking for a "Thermarest Z-Lite Sol". Cheap, very packable, and very well insulating. It's foam so nothing to worry about leaking or going flat on you overnight. I do not backpack without it, it's served me as a pad while hammock-camping.

[edit] Don't forget the "Sol" in the name, the one without does not have the heat reflecting surface and YES it matters. They come in two lengths too.
They're a bit short, wish they made a longer one.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Hey Scott... I've got a couple o' those moving blankets, I think they came from Costco (folks got 'em years ago), 6x6, they fit the floor perfectly! Like carpeting, only not!

I'll have to check out the Thermarest pads.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@Lanlubber I second what @Munga Brown says about the T3 and will add it is just amazingly fast to setup even the first time as long as you watched a YouTube video of it! I learned the lesson about the rain fly too LOL! Jim see below, my cot fit perfectly across the center of the tent where the walls bulge out, might have had an inch or two to spare on each end, should have paid more attention. Question, why do you have such a long cot? I'm 6'4" (76") tall and my cot is 78" x 31" and I fit on it great. Did find out due to the cot being elevated off the ground cold air does get under you and I will be ordering a pad for the cot and a new more cold proof sleeping bag! Other than that with a good pillow the cot is more comfortable than any air mattress or ground I've slept on!

View attachment 142805View attachment 142806
I Have to agree with you both, the T3 is more than adequate. The style of the cot I have (saved in my wish list) is 80" because it is 32" wide with a different frame than yours, and comes with a mattress. It's more of a folding cot rather than a collapsible cot like yours. I'm going to go back and search for a 78" model because all the accessory mattresses I can find are all 78" long and 30" wide. I weigh 250# and only 5'-9" (I'm shrinking from 6'). You and I together would look like mutt and jeff.

I had suggested to you a rug type thing that has three layers ($18) from amazon, The bottom is waterproof and the top is carpet like. I think it was 80"x80" beach blanket and would make a good floor cover to insulate. I definitely want something on my floor besides the cold slick plastic canvas bottom the tent is made of. A little move insulation can be had by storing your clothing and other items under the cot.

• Haha
Reactions: Viking1204

Munga Brown

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Jim, that moving blanket I have does the same thing as the blanket you mentioned ($0) and yeah, it’s nicer and quieter than the tent material floor. If using a cot, you could put your heater under it to quickly warm you in the am?? Not sure because I don’t have a cot or a heater.

Another nice thing for me about the T3 (vs T4) is that I can lay it across the floor in the back seat of my truck if need be instead of the bed.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I like the idea of a moving blanket for the floor, been looking on Amazon for them, I can probably get one for $15 - $20. Anybody else know of a cheaper or free source for them?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I like the idea of a moving blanket for the floor, been looking on Amazon for them, I can probably get one for $15 - $20. Anybody else know of a cheaper or free source for them?
I'll check Sportsman's guide military surplus catalog and get back if there is anything there.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sportsman's has some 72"x80" item # 66537 is shown selling for $8.99 but I dont know about shipping cost.

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
I'll +1 the moving quilt idea. I have two that I picked up at Harbor Freight for $5. I'll roll them like a sleeping bag and stuff them in a stuff bag from REI. They work great in the T3, and when I use my larger REI Kingdom 6, I use one on each side (kind of two rooms) for my daughter and I to put our cots on.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
@chris_nc thanks for the Harbor Freight idea, looks like their regular price on a moving blanket is $8.99 but I should be able to use a coupon or catch them on sale, I get a flyer pretty regularly!

Edit: I just thought of something, a moving blanket folded in half would be 36" W x 80" L and making a perfect bottom pad for a cot. I live in Florida so it never gets that cold so I think a moving blanket folded in half could give just right amount of cushion and insulation needed with a good sleeping bag. Been searching for cot pads and I think the moving blanket suggestion just saved me money in a couple of areas, thanks guys!

Last edited:

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

@chris_nc thanks for the Harbor Freight idea, looks like their regular price on a moving blanket is $8.99 but I should be able to use a coupon or catch them on sale, I get a flyer pretty regularly!

Edit: I just thought of something, a moving blanket folded in half would be 36" W x 80" L and making a perfect bottom pad for a cot. I live in Florida so it never gets that cold so I think a moving blanket folded in half could give just right amount of cushion and insulation needed with a good sleeping bag. Been searching for cot pads and I think the moving blanket suggestion just saved me money in a couple of areas, thanks guys!
Gotta love simple solutions!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I Have to agree with you both, the T3 is more than adequate. The style of the cot I have (saved in my wish list) is 80" because it is 32" wide with a different frame than yours, and comes with a mattress. It's more of a folding cot rather than a collapsible cot like yours. I'm going to go back and search for a 78" model because all the accessory mattresses I can find are all 78" long and 30" wide. I weigh 250# and only 5'-9" (I'm shrinking from 6'). You and I together would look like mutt and jeff.

I had suggested to you a rug type thing that has three layers ($18) from amazon, The bottom is waterproof and the top is carpet like. I think it was 80"x80" beach blanket and would make a good floor cover to insulate. I definitely want something on my floor besides the cold slick plastic canvas bottom the tent is made of. A little move insulation can be had by storing your clothing and other items under the cot.
Why not just go with the same Cot I have then? It's 78" L x 31" W and handles me just fine. I'm 6'4" (76") tall and my weight fluctuates between 250-260. BTW, I read through a lot of reviews on a lot of Cots before I went with this one and it is a great Cot, setup and take down is super easy. I can setup the Gazelle tent and have the Cot ready to go in the tent in less than 10 minutes!

Munga Brown

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Why not just go with the same Cot I have then? It's 78" L x 31" W and handles me just fine. I'm 6'4" (76") tall and my weight fluctuates between 250-260. BTW, I read through a lot of reviews on a lot of Cots before I went with this one and it is a great Cot, setup and take down is super easy. I can setup the Gazelle tent and have the Cot ready to go in the tent in less than 10 minutes!

I see a couple o' these advertised in my local CL. I just sent off an email about 'em.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign