Launch Member

Contributor II

Long Beach, CA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
McKenna
Member #

We purchased a T4 at Expo West last year for a show discounted rate. Have used it a handful of time since. Our assessment...

PROs -
- It's huge. No problem standing up. Note: I'm only 5'10" but tent is much, much, taller.
- Easy pop up design
- Quick to set up without rainfly
- Sturdy materials
- Budget friendly on sale

CONs - (May not be cons for others application)
- It's huge. very bulky when packed up. Struggle to fit inside the Xterra. Have to put seat down or, strap to roof rack
- Heavy (30lbs according to website)
- Rainfly can be a mild struggle to attach with 1 person. Easier with 2 people.
- Fair to moderate breathability.
- Thicker materials are much warmer during warm months than our backpacking tent.
- Mild struggle for one person to pack back into bag. Easier for 2 people.
- Better options for windy desert/sandy situations. The size and shape tend to left the stakes out of soft ground in windy conditions (has expected) I always carry the backpacking tent for back up since we desert camp a fair amount.

The tent is great for the appropriate propose. We take it if we are staying in camp for more than 1 day at a time and wind/soft ground conditions are not an issue. I find we still use our Big Agnes Rattlesnake 3 more often. Has it is more versatile much lighter, and much smaller packed. This is also due to the fact its usually just the lady, myself, and sometimes the family Golden Retriever. For 3 to 4, maybe even 5 people the T-4 is great.

Overall Verdict - Great buy, we love it in the right situation. We are keeping it. Just not using it has often as we thought at initial purchase due to its bulkiness and weight, which may not be an issue for others.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
We purchased a T4 at Expo West last year for a show discounted rate. Have used it a handful of time since. Our assessment...

PROs -
- It's huge. No problem standing up. Note: I'm only 5'10" but tent is much, much, taller.
- Easy pop up design
- Quick to set up without rainfly
- Sturdy materials
- Budget friendly on sale

CONs - (May not be cons for others application)
- It's huge. very bulky when packed up. Struggle to fit inside the Xterra. Have to put seat down or, strap to roof rack
- Heavy (30lbs according to website)
- Rainfly can be a mild struggle to attach with 1 person. Easier with 2 people.
- Fair to moderate breathability.
- Thicker materials are much warmer during warm months than our backpacking tent.
- Mild struggle for one person to pack back into bag. Easier for 2 people.
- Better options for windy desert/sandy situations. The size and shape tend to left the stakes out of soft ground in windy conditions (has expected) I always carry the backpacking tent for back up since we desert camp a fair amount.

The tent is great for the appropriate propose. We take it if we are staying in camp for more than 1 day at a time and wind/soft ground conditions are not an issue. I find we still use our Big Agnes Rattlesnake 3 more often. Has it is more versatile much lighter, and much smaller packed. This is also due to the fact its usually just the lady, myself, and sometimes the family Golden Retriever. For 3 to 4, maybe even 5 people the T-4 is great.

Overall Verdict - Great buy, we love it in the right situation. We are keeping it. Just not using it has often as we thought at initial purchase due to its bulkiness and weight, which may not be an issue for others.
Good report, I want one but from all that I've read I am too old to do solo's with something that big. Big is why I like it but I think I can handle a T3 with less effort that I dont have much of. If I ever got the T4 up, I'd probably just move in so that I dont have to take it down and pack it away. I like forest living anyway, especially if it's next to a river or lake. :-)

AdventureRider81

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Long Beach, CA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
McKenna
Member #

Good report, I want one but from all that I've read I am too old to do solo's with something that big. Big is why I like it but I think I can handle a T3 with less effort that I dont have much of. If I ever got the T4 up, I'd probably just move in so that I dont have to take it down and pack it away. I like forest living anyway, especially if it's next to a river or lake. :-)
Thank you,

Totally agree with that. T3 is way smaller pack size and significantly lighter. By all means it should be easier to pack up and put rainfly on with 1 person. Only reason we went with T4 is so we could stand up in it to change. The lady and I would not be able to in the T3 and she pushed for that.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank you,

Totally agree with that. T3 is way smaller pack size and significantly lighter. By all means it should be easier to pack up and put rainfly on with 1 person. Only reason we went with T4 is so we could stand up in it to change. The lady and I would not be able to in the T3 and she pushed for that.
I think the t3 is 5.5' @ center. If I keep shrinking in size I might be able to stand upright in a couple of years. I use to be shy of 6' and now I'm down to 5.75' in last 5 years. Gotta keep those sweeties happy by all means. LOL

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I ordered the T3 at dinner time last night from Amazon for $189 (Their Regular Price) and it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow in time for my weekend camping trip so it will get tested right away. My goal with the T3 is to have an extra tent for when I have more than 2 people camping and for times when I can't deploy my RTT. Where I'm going this weekend, Topsail Reserve, they have secluded tent sites with a dedicated tent pad for up to two tents and you have to park your vehicle in the parking spots along the road. I'll let my boys start setting up their Coleman regular 4 person tent and then pull out the Gazelle and set it up and finish long before they have finished! Of course I'll probably have to eventually get another Gazelle once they see how easy the setup is. I'm 6'4" tall and don't mind the T3 only being 5'8" high in the center, that is a lot taller than most tents and I don't plan on more than two people ever sleeping it. My boys don't like sleeping in the same tent as me, apparently as my 12 years old states, I snore too loud!

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I ordered the T3 at dinner time last night from Amazon for $189 (Their Regular Price) and it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow in time for my weekend camping trip so it will get tested right away. My goal with the T3 is to have an extra tent for when I have more than 2 people camping and for times when I can't deploy my RTT. Where I'm going this weekend, Topsail Reserve, they have secluded tent sites with a dedicated tent pad for up to two tents and you have to park your vehicle in the parking spots along the road. I'll let my boys start setting up their Coleman regular 4 person tent and then pull out the Gazelle and set it up and finish long before they have finished! Of course I'll probably have to eventually get another Gazelle once they see how easy the setup is. I'm 6'4" tall and don't mind the T3 only being 5'8" high in the center, that is a lot taller than most tents and I don't plan on more than two people ever sleeping it. My boys don't like sleeping in the same tent as me, apparently as my 12 years old states, I snore too loud!
I have been at Topsail last year!
The tent area weren’t the best, it was more gravel than dirt. I would recommend bribing a tarp.

enjoy!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I think I'll pick up a couple of tarps to put under the tents. I tried the ask the person who answered the phone when I called what the material was in the tent area and they said sand but I can see from the pictures they have posted on their site that it looks more like gravel. I think they tried to get to fancy with their tent sites, why on earth they didn't just have a regular tent sites where you could deploy a RTT or a ground tent is beyond me. I've never been so I appreciate the info @carlo_donz!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think I'll pick up a couple of tarps to put under the tents. I tried the ask the person who answered the phone when I called what the material was in the tent area and they said sand but I can see from the pictures they have posted on their site that it looks more like gravel. I think they tried to get to fancy with their tent sites, why on earth they didn't just have a regular tent sites where you could deploy a RTT or a ground tent is beyond me. I've never been so I appreciate the info @carlo_donz!
Scott I think you might want to pick up something like this for the interior of the tent as well to keep from poking holes in the floor. I ordered two, One for the tent and one for under an awning or canopy or in front of my Scamp doorway.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Great tent Scott. I have been researching tents for the past year and I have pretty much decide on the T3 Gazelle tent myself. There are some good comparable"s out there by Coleman and Browning. It really is a hard choice but the Gazelle is just going to be damn hard to beat considering everything. Ventilation is a big thing with me and everything I've read about Gazelle says that it is a little bad on ventilation, still I like it. This Browning tent is very tempting .

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Great tent Scott. I have been researching tents for the past year and I have pretty much decide on the T3 Gazelle tent myself. There are some good comparable"s out there by Coleman and Browning. It really is a hard choice but the Gazelle is just going to be damn hard to beat considering everything. Ventilation is a big thing with me and everything I've read about Gazelle says that it is a little bad on ventilation, still I like it. This Browning tent is very tempting .

That Browning tent is nice but at 6'4" tall I'd have to duck pretty good to get in and out of that tent, it's very similar to the Coleman 4 man I have now that my boys will be sleeping in. I have bad knees so yes I'll have to duck a little to get in the T-3 but not like I would a tent like the Browning or the older Coleman I have. Also, I ordered a really nice Cot to go along with the T3. I've never tried a Cot before but all the reviews on it raved about how much better it was to sleep on than an air mattress and I like the fact it gets me off the ground so getting in and out of it won't be as painful on my bad knees. I also ordered two of the tarps below to put under the tents to protect them from anything on the ground. I think Canvas tarps will serve much better than the plastic tarps that seem to tear easily and dry rot over time in this hot weather we have here. At 8' x 10' it will allow me to set the tents on them and then have extra tarp at the front entrants of the tent so no need for a rug. I've also included the Cot I ordered too.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That Browning tent is nice but at 6'4" tall I'd have to duck pretty good to get in and out of that tent, it's very similar to the Coleman 4 man I have now that my boys will be sleeping in. I have bad knees so yes I'll have to duck a little to get in the T-3 but not like I would a tent like the Browning or the older Coleman I have. Also, I ordered a really nice Cot to go along with the T3. I've never tried a Cot before but all the reviews on it raved about how much better it was to sleep on than an air mattress and I like the fact it gets me off the ground so getting in and out of it won't be as painful on my bad knees. I also ordered two of the tarps below to put under the tents to protect them from anything on the ground. I think Canvas tarps will serve much better than the plastic tarps that seem to tear easily and dry rot over time in this hot weather we have here. At 8' x 10' it will allow me to set the tents on them and then have extra tarp at the front entrants of the tent so no need for a rug. I've also included the Cot I ordered too.

The browning tent is 6' inside. That's 6" taller than the Gazelle. That's why I sent it to you.
I agree with the tarps vs plastic. I just wish they weren't so expensive, but what isn't these days. I haven't bought a cot yet. I'm looking at one for about the same price that is 32" wide x 80" long and will hold a 300# man. It folds down to a decent package size as well.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
The browning tent is 6' inside. That's 6" taller than the Gazelle. That's why I sent it to you.
I agree with the tarps vs plastic. I just wish they weren't so expensive, but what isn't these days. I haven't bought a cot yet. I'm looking at one for about the same price that is 32" wide x 80" long and will hold a 300# man. It folds down to a decent package size as well.
Too late LOL, the Gazelle will be here today. I also like how the Gazelle is fast to deploy and pack up. Clips on the dome tent is an improvement but it's still going to take longer to setup. Also, the Gazelle is has a square shape vs the dome shape so even though it is technically 4" taller in the middle the Gazelle will have more head room all around IMO. BTW, the Gazelle center height is listed at 68" meaning it is 5'8" tall. Also I'm not sure why it wouldn't vent well, it has open screens on the top, screen windows on all 4 sides and 2 screen doors, seems like it should vent well if you have them all open. I'll let you know, no rain in the forecast this weekend and I'll be camping in it two nights, should be able to give you a full report on Monday!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Too late LOL, the Gazelle will be here today. I also like how the Gazelle is fast to deploy and pack up. Clips on the dome tent is an improvement but it's still going to take longer to setup. Also, the Gazelle is has a square shape vs the dome shape so even though it is technically 4" taller in the middle the Gazelle will have more head room all around IMO. BTW, the Gazelle center height is listed at 68" meaning it is 5'8" tall. Also I'm not sure why it wouldn't vent well, it has open screens on the top, screen windows on all 4 sides and 2 screen doors, seems like it should vent well if you have them all open. I'll let you know, no rain in the forecast this weekend and I'll be camping in it two nights, should be able to give you a full report on Monday!
Good deal Scott, a report will be great. I'm confident you will be happy with your purchase. The price on the Gazelle has constantly lowered from a year ago when it sold for $269 in the OB store. Then dropped to around $220 until this month when it dropped again to $189.00. I think that reflects good sales which generally bring lower prices.

I did find a tent I like much better once it is up. Putting it up would be a problem for one person. I don't mind it taking time to put up or take down but I do mind not having the physical ability to do either. That's the same reason I won't buy the Gazelle T4. I don't think I could manhandle that much tent.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I hope it's not an unpleasant surprise, but I think you'll be sleeping in the T3 diagonally. I'm pretty sure the "set up" dimensions are from the outer hub points, not interior floor space.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I hope it's not an unpleasant surprise, but I think you'll be sleeping in the T3 diagonally. I'm pretty sure the "set up" dimensions are from the outer hub points, not interior floor space.
I had pretty much figured that was probably going to be the case and I have no problem with that as I'll be the only one sleeping in the tent on the trip this weekend. This tent is going to be the backup for when I can't sleep in the RTT or when I can sleep in the RTT my two sons can use it to sleep on an air mattress or sleeping pads. Either way it is going to come in handy IMO!

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I had pretty much figured that was probably going to be the case and I have no problem with that as I'll be the only one sleeping in the tent on the trip this weekend. This tent is going to be the backup for when I can't sleep in the RTT or when I can sleep in the RTT my two sons can use it to sleep on an air mattress or sleeping pads. Either way it is going to come in handy IMO!
I hope you enjoy it, these Gazelle's have been discussed so much lately I don't think anyone could have an excuse for an uninformed buying decision!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The sales info says it is 76'x76". That is not a diagonal dimension. 40 sq. ft A cot is anywhere from 75" to 80" so the 80" one will not fit squarely. The 75" will be wall to wall..

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have to admit I thought they were 7x7 because the T4 is advertised as 8x8 (94"x94"). My cot is 80" and I dont want it to be cramped at an angle. I guess I will have to go with the T4 or else another brand that will let me put my cot in without jamming it between sloping walls. Back to the search again. The T4 is out of my budget or maybe unnecessary at all if I sleep in my rig.. I cant believe they call the T3 a 3 person tent. It's really a 3 Kid tent and the T4 is a 2 adult tent (barely).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I hope you enjoy it, these Gazelle's have been discussed so much lately I don't think anyone could have an excuse for an uninformed buying decision!
Yes, and they cant be discussed enough evidently. I just had to change my mind about the T3 for about the 20th time. I checked my cot size and it wont fit squarely inside the T3, so back to the books.