Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Just got my T4 today. Man that thing is kinda heavy. I've gotta watch my back lol, but seriously. Here's the size of the beast on my full size rig tail gate and on the Yakima Mega Road Warrior roof rack with extension. Basically it fits up there. I could put it straight, but I have my other Yakima cross bar on the rack as well. If I removed that then it could be parallel to the recovery racks.

IMG_3149.JPG

IMG_3150.JPG

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

Just got my T4 today. Man that thing is kinda heavy. I've gotta watch my back lol, but seriously. Here's the size of the beast on my full size rig tail gate and on the Yakima Mega Road Warrior roof rack with extension. Basically it fits up there. I could put it straight, but I have my other Yakima cross bar on the rack as well. If I removed that then it could be parallel to the recovery racks.

View attachment 110134

View attachment 110135
Your reaction is exactly how I reacted to our T4. After using it a few times, I hope you, too, will find the size and weight are worthwhile tradeoffs for the fast setup, spacious interior, large windows, etc.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Your reaction is exactly how I reacted to our T4. After using it a few times, I hope you, too, will find the size and weight are worthwhile tradeoffs for the fast setup, spacious interior, large windows, etc.
So hard to tell in pictures. I knew it was big, but yeah it is. Here's hoping for fast setups for sure. Trying to make the next outing quicker to set up and break down. The extra space and standing room will be a plus.

blackiestone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eureka, CA, USA
First Name
Laura
Last Name
Manzanilla
Member #

I just bought this tent. We set it up in the backyard as a dry run. You should have seen the smile on my guy's face. He likeeee. I'll take the diagonal in my 5' bed over a late night quarrel over poles any day! In fact, I think we'll design our truck bed storage system around this new tent. For those of you who are thinking maybe put this on your roof rack and your worried about the durability of the outer case. Maybe a waterproof patio umbrella cover would be an extra special option for durability and weather resistance.

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

I have the T4 Plus and have to throw it on top of my GX. I purchased one of these bags from Home Depot as an additional layer of protection.

We drove from Charleston, SC to Gladstone, VA for the Rooftop Tent Rally without any issues. On the way back we spent 6 of the 7 hour drive in heavy rain. The bag leaks but seems to hold up decently to the 75+mph, 840 mile round trip "adventure".

King Canopy 80 in. Silver Canopy Bag with Handles-CB80 - The Home Depot

Outbound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alberta
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
H
Anyone have pictures of one of these with a cot or two inside? We're debating between a Gazelle Tent or a Springbar. Need to fit 2 cots inside with a bit of room to spare though.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Anyone have pictures of one of these with a cot or two inside? We're debating between a Gazelle Tent or a Springbar. Need to fit 2 cots inside with a bit of room to spare though.
I’m almost 100% positive at least 2 single cots will fit inside the T4. 5 people slept comfortably in ours (2 adults and 3 kids). We had 3 single air mattress side by side.

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

This was my setup for overland expo east this past year. Worked out great. (Only pic I have of the inside of my tent. Sorry)

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Nice video. Thanks for making me aware of this tent. There are certainly some things to like about it... But some areas of concern as well...

Can I only tie open the door flap and mesh? What do you do on a summer night with a little breeze when you want to let the air in but not the insects? Just deal with the flapping?

Is the entire tub Velcro'd on? I like that I can run a cord out to power... But not that I have to worry about the tub separating from the top of the tent.

Looking forward to an update after you have tried this out in the wild.

Personal wishes: would have liked to have seen a cot or sleeping bag in there for some perspective.
FYI the OB store sells the T4 Gazelle tent for $280.00. Not a better tent sold in the USA. If I
Remember correctly the t4 has a door on both sides plus windows. Check out the Gazelle videos on their site. The t4 is also near straight sided for more roomyness and a 6' person can stand up inside easily. The t3 sells for $220.00 on the OB store site. There is a thread in the forums where a guy put a queen size bed plus a cot inside the t4 tent.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
We finally used our Gazelle T4 tent for the first time this past weekend. Went up so easily; and weloved the space it provided.

Although it fits in the JKU with the rear seat down, we carried out on the Front Runner rack so front seat can recline. Tent handled interstate speeds just fine.

Hope to find something to mount just forward of tent to act as a wind break for tent on future trips.
I recently saw a guy with his tent tied down across the rack instead of longitudinally. Don't know the brand name but it looked to be about 5' long.

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

We're going out next Thursday and I'll take some pics. We have a Disc-o-bed XL and it fits inside.

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

61272A9A-CA5A-45D3-9613-62929FC2931B.jpeg1D6AD92C-5A66-4EC3-BAC8-32AE59B732FA.jpeg
Not the greatest pictures and pardon the mess, I stepped in to grab the 4 year old and then snapped the pics.

That’s a Disc-o-bed XL and it fits inside. You can’t put it “flush” against the wall so there’s maybe a foot and a half to two foot space next to the cots if you wanted to store stuff there.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
View attachment 133800View attachment 133801
Not the greatest pictures and pardon the mess, I stepped in to grab the 4 year old and then snapped the pics.

That’s a Disc-o-bed XL and it fits inside. You can’t put it “flush” against the wall so there’s maybe a foot and a half to two foot space next to the cots if you wanted to store stuff there.
Very cool. Is it easy to transport and put together?

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

Very cool. Is it easy to transport and put together?
Loaded question.

The T4Plus is a pain in the a$$ to put back in the bag. It definitely is a two or more person job to pack it up and you will need to use cinching straps to cinch everything together in order to maneuver it into the bag. I ended up buying a canopy bag from Home Depot because my first couple of times I couldn’t get it back in with the poles and rain canopy.

It’s heavy (47lbs) and long (63 inches tall) when packed. I have two kids so I can’t carry it inside my GX so it has to go in the roof. Set up time when I’m doing it solo is about 4-5 minutes. Tear down time counting putting it back in the bag is about 10-15 minutes.

Now the positives are it is big. We went to Virginia last year and I had the Disc-o-bed cot set up, four folding chairs and a small Coleman table set up in the screen room. When it’s raining you don’t feel as closed in as if you were in a smaller 3 or 4 person tent. Quoting Step Brothers, “there’s so much room for activities”.

There is a “wall” that you can zip between the two parts of the tent for privacy. The screen portion is just that, a screen. There is a plain orange flat that you can roll out to cover the mesh screens but it doesn’t seal to the tent wall so it gets drafty if anyone is sleeping in there.

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

Loaded question.

The T4Plus is a pain in the a$$ to put back in the bag. It definitely is a two or more person job to pack it up and you will need to use cinching straps to cinch everything together in order to maneuver it into the bag. I ended up buying a canopy bag from Home Depot because my first couple of times I couldn’t get it back in with the poles and rain canopy.

It’s heavy (47lbs) and long (63 inches tall) when packed. I have two kids so I can’t carry it inside my GX so it has to go in the roof. Set up time when I’m doing it solo is about 4-5 minutes. Tear down time counting putting it back in the bag is about 10-15 minutes.

Now the positives are it is big. We went to Virginia last year and I had the Disc-o-bed cot set up, four folding chairs and a small Coleman table set up in the screen room. When it’s raining you don’t feel as closed in as if you were in a smaller 3 or 4 person tent. Quoting Step Brothers, “there’s so much room for activities”.

There is a “wall” that you can zip between the two parts of the tent for privacy. The screen portion is just that, a screen. There is a plain orange flat that you can roll out to cover the mesh screens but it doesn’t seal to the tent wall so it gets drafty if anyone is sleeping in there.
Sorry, I forgot to finish my thought.

If you’re going to be in one spot for a couple of days, the T4 Plus is TOTALLY worth it. It is an awesome base camp tent if you’re going to set up and explore the surrounding area.

If you’re camping plans involve just passing through and only staying for a night before moving on to the next adventure, I would shy away from the T4 Plus because of the bulk, weight and packing frustrations.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Sorry, I forgot to finish my thought.

If you’re going to be in one spot for a couple of days, the T4 Plus is TOTALLY worth it. It is an awesome base camp tent if you’re going to set up and explore the surrounding area.

If you’re camping plans involve just passing through and only staying for a night before moving on to the next adventure, I would shy away from the T4 Plus because of the bulk, weight and packing frustrations.
I can only image. I have the standard T4 and it fits us 5 with extra room for our gear. But having a Disc-o-bed would be a game changer. Yes def it staying for a long period.