Contributor III

Lewistown, MT, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Green
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6IAI
I purchase three of the Overlanders for our Search and Rescue trucks, I liked them because they are simple to operate in street or Topo modes and anybody can jump in the truck run it. I use Gaia on my iPad for my personal use and for work. The one that works best it the one you learn how to use and can pop it open type in a point and get moving. Gaia turned off the landowner overlay so I am not happy with them and you can put a landowner chip in the Overland unit for about another hundred dollars. You need to be able to see it while you are driving (but don't be playing with it while your driving) so if you find a good deal and don't want to mess around with iPad ram mounts then the Overlander is a good unit.

Reactions: DaleRF

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

I have the Overlander and a tablet running Gaia. I like having both.

Gaia is not a plug and play system. You have to D/L maps for where you are going to be. Routes and POIs have to be entered. Gaia does not giver turn by turn directions or any directions at all. You follow a route you entered into the program.

The Overlander has off grid no cell signal dependent operability. On the trail and want to know how far gas is ? Gaia can't tell you that but the Overlander will. Closest campgrounds? The Overlander can tell you not Gaia.

Many people forget there is not always a cell signal to depend on. Garmin does not need that cell signal to work.

agreed. we just came back from doing the Grand Staircase... no cell signal. gaia and on x... didn't work. i used my old gps and papermaps.

old school.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
agreed. we just came back from doing the Grand Staircase... no cell signal. gaia and on x... didn't work. i used my old gps and papermaps.

old school.
Gaia and Onx should work fine without cell service...but only if you download the maps. I use both when traveling and hunting in areas with no cell service, and they work great with the downloaded maps.

Reactions: Graeman and DMS1

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Gaia and Onx should work fine without cell service...but only if you download the maps. I use both when traveling and hunting in areas with no cell service, and they work great with the downloaded maps.
GAIA and Onx are good only if preloaded with maps and routes. Neither can tell you were the nearest gas or lodging is or how to get there. Garmin can do that

• Haha
Reactions: Graeman and DMS1

Fosters

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Goldhawke
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4NTX
I recently purchased the overlander GPS...I like it so far but feel it could be so much more...understand I am a heavy garmin user with a ZUMO XT on my BMW GSA a fenix 6 on my wrist, a VIRB on my helmet and a inreach mini normally strapped to my bike jacket...
Garmin needs to consolidate computer/phone apps into one...I think I'm close to 4 apsp and 3 programs for the garmin gear...Would also like to have seen inclusion of the overlander on the Garmin Drive app as I feel it offers better traffic alerts as opposed to the HD traffic antenna cable which should have been included BTW...Is garmin earthmate and explorer necessary?...this is the kinda stuff that needs combining...simplify downloading of sat imagery...and lets get map overlays with some transparency control going on

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I recently purchased the overlander GPS...I like it so far but feel it could be so much more...understand I am a heavy garmin user with a ZUMO XT on my BMW GSA a fenix 6 on my wrist, a VIRB on my helmet and a inreach mini normally strapped to my bike jacket...
Garmin needs to consolidate computer/phone apps into one...I think I'm close to 4 apsp and 3 programs for the garmin gear...Would also like to have seen inclusion of the overlander on the Garmin Drive app as I feel it offers better traffic alerts as opposed to the HD traffic antenna cable which should have been included BTW...Is garmin earthmate and explorer necessary?...this is the kinda stuff that needs combining...simplify downloading of sat imagery...and lets get map overlays with some transparency control going on
The Garmin app ecosystem is so flippin annoying it's why I don't have many Garmin devices anymore. I have no idea why I have to have separate phone apps and PC applications for literally everything. I mean just the fact the Oregon hiking GPS and inReach use different apps is beyond annoying.

Reactions: DMS1 and Fosters

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I agree. Garmin does make a lot of very useful gear. And I think Gaia has its own niche capabilities.

Reactions: er waddell

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
I use the Montana 700i. I looked at the overlander and I like it. I just thought that the Montana was more practical for out of vehicle use also.

I really was interested in the inReach capability, the overlander will require an additional inReach device to give this ability. When I get to a hiking trail I take the Montana out of its holder and put it in a carrier I bought off of Amazon. It records my hiking and gives me the inReach SOS if I need it.

The Montana includes most of the features of the Overlander including the access to POI, gas, camp grounds etc. The maps for almost everywhere are pre-loaded. I use the Montana with the garmin connect/explore apps, as well as gaia, onx, and overland pro on my samsung tablet. If the tablet dies I can still use the Montana screen to navigate.

There is an issue with the Garmin explore app/website. When you import routes etc. Many people make routes using hundreds of points. When you import them you are limited and must reduce these points. I have not found a method to pick and chose what is deleted. You end up having to really recreate the route, stretching and moving points to fix it.

EDIT: I meant Backcountry Navigator Pro, not overland Pro.... sorry.....brain fart.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMS1 and DaleRF

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I use the Montana 700i. I looked at the overlander and I like it. I just thought that the Montana was more practical for out of vehicle use also.

I really was interested in the inReach capability, the overlander will require an additional inReach device to give this ability. When I get to a hiking trail I take the Montana out of its holder and put it in a carrier I bought off of Amazon. It records my hiking and gives me the inReach SOS if I need it.

The Montana includes most of the features of the Overlander including the access to POI, gas, camp grounds etc. The maps for almost everywhere are pre-loaded. I use the Montana with the garmin connect/explore apps, as well as gaia, onx, and overland pro on my samsung tablet. If the tablet dies I can still use the Montana screen to navigate.

There is an issue with the Garmin explore app/website. When you import routes etc. Many people make routes using hundreds of points. When you import them you are limited and must reduce these points. I have not found a method to pick and chose what is deleted. You end up having to really recreate the route, stretching and moving points to fix it.
I came from the Montana 600. When I purchased my Inreach 66I the Montana was not released yet. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the Montana 700I. I really like my 66I and my Explorer, but would prefer one unit. Based on my Montana experience I believe the 700I would be a better fit for me. I am not unhappy, but would like one unit.

Reactions: er waddell

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
You can get around this if you use Garmin Basecamp instead of Garmin Explore.

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
I will check out base camp. Thanks for the info!

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army

I came from the Montana 600. When I purchased my Inreach 66I the Montana was not released yet. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the Montana 700I. I really like my 66I and my Explorer, but would prefer one unit. Based on my Montana experience I believe the 700I would be a better fit for me. I am not unhappy, but would like one unit.
That was a big reason that I chose the Montana. The inReach was super important because if you drive 1 hr from town your cell reception is crap. I give the wife frequent preset "I'm ok, here I am " messages.

Reactions: DMS1

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
I went to install it. It is no longer readily available.

"BaseCamp development has been discontinued".Jan 7, 2019"

I may be able to find an .apk to install on my tablet. Is this your understanding?

I didn't look for a pc version yet.

EDIT: I found a download link for the PC version. I will give it a try.

Last edited:

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I went to install it. It is no longer readily available.

"BaseCamp development has been discontinued".Jan 7, 2019"

I may be able to find an .apk to install on my tablet. Is this your understanding?

I didn't look for a pc version yet.

EDIT: I found a download link for the PC version. I will give it a try.

They only made a PC version and a MAC version, they have stopped development on Bascamp, but in my opinion it works fine, and when I logged in the other day I got a maintenance update, no new features. I still use Garmin MapSource to modify my routes and tracks and to save them as individual files. This in my opinion was the only flaw with Garmin Basecamp, the way it stored the data, but it was a major flaw, and I am not the only one who pointed this out to Garmin.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I still haven’t delved into my Overlander yet. I have a trip next month, where I hope to really try it out. I hope Garmin keeps improving it and adding new features.

Seventhstream

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Albany, CA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

The Overlander is cool on paper, but $700 is insane. Buy yourself a tablet and run Gaia, onX, and whatever else for less money and have something multi-purpose, IMO.

The backup cam isn't 100% wireless, it's just wireless between the cam and the Overlander, you still have to wire the camera into your wiring harness. It is nice to have a backup camera, and I did the Garmin + wireless backup camera setup with my daughter's previous Grand Cherokee but it was less than ideal because it's rather slow to initially activate after starting the vehicle. If I were to add a backup camera in a vehicle that didn't have one then I'd go with a rear-view mirror screen + backup camera setup and not have to rely on the GPS to function as a backup camera display as well. Just my $0.02.
I agree. I bought the overlander last year. I like the ruggedness and the ram mount with charging function. I use the street driving directions portion and appreciate the "upcoming gas and lodging" parts of the driving directions but the "explore" software and map syncing is clunky. I find it's easier to map out way points on Google maps and export into Gaia. I find the overlander slow on processing and its locked down android difficult to use for other tasks. I bought a cheap android tablet and hope to use with Gaia this trip.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I agree. I bought the overlander last year. I like the ruggedness and the ram mount with charging function. I use the street driving directions portion and appreciate the "upcoming gas and lodging" parts of the driving directions but the "explore" software and map syncing is clunky. I find it's easier to map out way points on Google maps and export into Gaia. I find the overlander slow on processing and its locked down android difficult to use for other tasks. I bought a cheap android tablet and hope to use with Gaia this trip.
I use my iPad with Gaia and the Overlander is usually there for reference as well. But I also prefer using the Garmin for street navigation. I plan on getting a backup cam from Garmin so I can use it as a forward looking Cam for the trails.