Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Hey guys, I was looking at a Garmin Overlander. Found a pretty good deal on one, and was curious what people think. I use a lot of other Garmin products, so I thought it might be a good fit. I’ve read the pros and cons online, but some people seem bias in either direction. I was looking to add a backup camera to my Jeep, and I see you go go wireless with the Overlander. The camera seems to get really good reviews. I have experience with Gaia, and it too has pros and cons.

Anyhow, just looking at people’s thoughts.

Thanks for the help!

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
The Overlander is cool on paper, but $700 is insane. Buy yourself a tablet and run Gaia, onX, and whatever else for less money and have something multi-purpose, IMO.

The backup cam isn't 100% wireless, it's just wireless between the cam and the Overlander, you still have to wire the camera into your wiring harness. It is nice to have a backup camera, and I did the Garmin + wireless backup camera setup with my daughter's previous Grand Cherokee but it was less than ideal because it's rather slow to initially activate after starting the vehicle. If I were to add a backup camera in a vehicle that didn't have one then I'd go with a rear-view mirror screen + backup camera setup and not have to rely on the GPS to function as a backup camera display as well. Just my $0.02.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I appreciate the feedback. Yeah, I’m not paying 700.00 if I do get one. It’s significantly less money than that. I have used Gaia for a while. I have not tried Onx. People are saying it’s not good? I have zero experience, so I don’t want to comment on that.

Thanks for the info on the camera. I was trying to not run any wires up to the front of my Jeep, as I have a full GooseGear system, along with some other stuff going on. So, I was looking for something simple in that area.

Thank you for your input. I’m just trying to collect as much info/opinions as I can.

Cheers!

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I appreciate the feedback. Yeah, I’m not paying 700.00 if I do get one. It’s significantly less money than that. I have used Gaia for a while. I have not tried Onx. People are saying it’s not good? I have zero experience, so I don’t want to comment on that.

Thanks for the info on the camera. I was trying to not run any wires up to the front of my Jeep, as I have a full GooseGear system, along with some other stuff going on. So, I was looking for something simple in that area.

Thank you for your input. I’m just trying to collect as much info/opinions as I can.

Cheers!
I find Gaia to be much more comprehensive, I also have an onX Off-Road membership that can be helpful for getting more detailed info on some trails/areas. I love the ability to use Gaia on my computer, plan routes, etc, and then they automatically sync with Gaia on my phone and tablet.

Do you use an iPhone? If so, here's another idea. Replace your factory head unit with a reasonably-priced touchscreen unit that supports Apple Car Play, then use your iPhone with Gaia and now you have an in-dash nav because Gaia supports Car Play. The Android version doesn't support Android Auto at this point so if you use an Android phone then this option will be out until Gaia adds AA support. I've used Gaia + Car Play while in Colorado and it worked great, download the maps and you don't even need cell service. I'm sure you could add a back-up camera to the head unit as well, though I don't know about wireless options.

My main gripe with Garmin units is they tend to be a compromise and are obsoleted/unsupported after a relatively short amount of time whereas mobile apps tend to improve over time and support new options/features/tech as things evolve. If money were no object then I'd have all the toys, but I just can't see the Overlander filling a gap that I don't have at the moment.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Cheers!
I find Gaia to be much more comprehensive, I also have an onX Off-Road membership that can be helpful for getting more detailed info on some trails/areas. I love the ability to use Gaia on my computer, plan routes, etc, and then they automatically sync with Gaia on my phone and tablet.

Do you use an iPhone? If so, here's another idea. Replace your factory head unit with a reasonably-priced touchscreen unit that supports Apple Car Play, then use your iPhone with Gaia and now you have an in-dash nav because Gaia supports Car Play. The Android version doesn't support Android Auto at this point so if you use an Android phone then this option will be out until Gaia adds AA support. I've used Gaia + Car Play while in Colorado and it worked great, download the maps and you don't even need cell service. I'm sure you could add a back-up camera to the head unit as well, though I don't know about wireless options.

My main gripe with Garmin units is they tend to be a compromise and are obsoleted/unsupported after a relatively short amount of time whereas mobile apps tend to improve over time and support new options/features/tech as things evolve. If money were no object then I'd have all the toys, but I just can't see the Overlander filling a gap that I don't have at the moment.
Excellent feedback and info. I really appreciate it. I do have a high end Kenwood head unit.

Onx appears to be a nicer layout. Kind of like how Apple makes their Interface. I do enjoy that. I just have no experience with the software.

Reactions: DRAX

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Buy yourself a tablet and run Gaia, onX, and whatever else for less money and have something multi-purpose, IMO.
If you get a tablet make sure to get one with a built in GPS - for an iPad that would be the cellular equipped model. Used my iPad yesterday on our adventure, then brought it into the house and showed my wife the pics we took, read the OB forums and texted friends/family.

Try searching the forums for "Garmin Overlander" to see more opinions.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Buy yourself a tablet and run Gaia, onX, and whatever else for less money and have something multi-purpose, IMO.
If you get a tablet make sure to get one with a built in GPS - for an iPad that would be the cellular equipped model. Used my iPad yesterday on our adventure, then brought it into the house and showed my wife the pics we took, read the OB forums and texted friends/family.

Try searching the forums for "Garmin Overlander" to see more opinions.
Hi there, I have a iPad mini 5 with cellular, so I would be covered there.

Thank you for the help!

Reactions: DRAX and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Thank you for the help!
Give it a whirl and see how you like it. Mini is a nice size! Nice thing about an iPad is that if one nav app does not satisfy you can load something different. You can get started with gaia for free and then upgrade to get more/better maps and the ability to download maps for offline use (read out in the boonies). Pretty sure the latter is true - you can definitely download maps and pretty sure that is a pay for option.

Reactions: enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Thank you for the help!
Give it a whirl and see how you like it. Mini is a nice size! Nice thing about an iPad is that if one nav app does not satisfy you can load something different. You can get started with gaia for free and then upgrade to get more/better maps and the ability to download maps for offline use (read out in the boonies). Pretty sure the latter is true - you can definitely download maps and pretty sure that is a pay for option.
Yeah, I might download OnX and see how it compares to Gaia. Not like they are crazy expensive or anything. Might help me make a better assessment. I would like to try the Overlander.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Yeah, I might download OnX and see how it compares to Gaia. Not like they are crazy expensive or anything. Might help me make a better assessment. I would like to try the Overlander.
Good call! I seem to remember OnX being one of those funky phone apps that only runs in portrait mode on the ipad - I like landscape mode.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Good call! I seem to remember OnX being one of those funky phone apps that only runs in portrait mode on the ipad - I like landscape mode.
OnX on my iPad works in landscape or portrait mode but it doesn't do route planning/navigation. It does show your position and you can "follow" a road/route by watching your location, but really it's not for navigation (That I've found). I use it for reference (pictures, difficulty, campsite suggestions, etc) and then route accordingly in Gaia as onX is more like the Wikipedia for off-road trails than anything, IMO. Gaia has some similar community content but it's not integrated into the app, at least not as well. I can find trails in Gaia using the web app and to get community info on it I get taken to a different Gaia website.

I wish there were a do-everything app but I haven't found one. At least for me it's only 2 apps/subscriptions and not more. heh

It's been a while but I think they offer free trials? If so then take them for a test drive and see for yourself, maybe I'm missing something.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

OnX on my iPad works in landscape or portrait mode but it doesn't do route planning/navigation. It does show your position and you can "follow" a road/route by watching your location, but really it's not for navigation (That I've found). I use it for reference (pictures, difficulty, campsite suggestions, etc) and then route accordingly in Gaia as onX is more like the Wikipedia for off-road trails than anything, IMO. Gaia has some similar community content but it's not integrated into the app, at least not as well. I can find trails in Gaia using the web app and to get community info on it I get taken to a different Gaia website.

I wish there were a do-everything app but I haven't found one. At least for me it's only 2 apps/subscriptions and not more. heh

It's been a while but I think they offer free trials? If so then take them for a test drive and see for yourself, maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah, I would love a do all app, also. I like everything streamlined. That's why I brought up Overlander. I do like the iOverlander integration in it.

Reactions: INVICTUS and Ubiety

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I have an Overlander and actually like it. I did not pay $700.00 for it. I like the integration with my 66I Inreach. I plan on Garmin Explore Website and CalTop, also use several other apps to find GPX files. I find it much easier to use than Gaia. I really like the integration with Street Maps, IOverlander, and other apps. They work well and have come in handy on trails.

Just my two cents.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have an Overlander and I prefer it to Gaia when I go out and explore. You can't really do that with Gaia if you didn't download the area map before you left the house. I like that Gaia is easier to download map files, but don't like that it takes so long to do so and eats up your memory on the tablet or iPhone. With Overlander I can also install the micros card from FunTreks for the entire state. I got an excellent deal on mine as well. The magnetic mount feature is awesome. The supplied Ram mounts are heavy duty and the size of the Overlander is great for those who have a hard time seeing the smaller screens. I have not learned all the tricks yet, but I know this thing can do more that what I have done with it so far.
The backup camera feature is something that I want to incorporate into my Jeep - but I want to install the camera on the front bumper of my JK. I already have the dual dash camera set up and I also have the factory stereo system that accepts cameras as well.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I have an Overlander and actually like it. I did not pay $700.00 for it. I like the integration with my 66I Inreach. I plan on Garmin Explore Website and CalTop, also use several other apps to find GPX files. I find it much easier to use than Gaia. I really like the integration with Street Maps, IOverlander, and other apps. They work well and have come in handy on trails.

Just my two cents.
Awesome! I, too have a 66i. I found one for much cheaper than the 700.00 price. That is why I have been considering it.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I have an Overlander and I prefer it to Gaia when I go out and explore. You can't really do that with Gaia if you didn't download the area map before you left the house. I like that Gaia is easier to download map files, but don't like that it takes so long to do so and eats up your memory on the tablet or iPhone. With Overlander I can also install the micros card from FunTreks for the entire state. I got an excellent deal on mine as well. The magnetic mount feature is awesome. The supplied Ram mounts are heavy duty and the size of the Overlander is great for those who have a hard time seeing the smaller screens. I have not learned all the tricks yet, but I know this thing can do more that what I have done with it so far.
The backup camera feature is something that I want to incorporate into my Jeep - but I want to install the camera on the front bumper of my JK. I already have the dual dash camera set up and I also have the factory stereo system that accepts cameras as well.
I was looking to do a backup camera on my JK. I was reading you can add multiple cameras with the Overlander. From what I have seen, it looks to operate in a cleaner fashion than Gaia. Maybe I am wrong.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
This just popped into my inbox this morning, forgot I had this subscription. heh I'm going to try it out, sounds like a cool integration!

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I have the Overlander and a tablet running Gaia. I like having both.

Gaia is not a plug and play system. You have to D/L maps for where you are going to be. Routes and POIs have to be entered. Gaia does not giver turn by turn directions or any directions at all. You follow a route you entered into the program.

The Overlander has off grid no cell signal dependent operability. On the trail and want to know how far gas is ? Gaia can't tell you that but the Overlander will. Closest campgrounds? The Overlander can tell you not Gaia.

Many people forget there is not always a cell signal to depend on. Garmin does not need that cell signal to work.