Garmin Overlander

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

enjoitheride

Rank I

Contributor II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I have my inreach paired to my iPhone and use the map and text function via GPS
Solid 2.8 rating on the iTunes App Store. Way to go Garmin
Haha. I saw that when I went to download it. I actually called them the other day. I asked if anyone there cares about this product, or actually understands it, as no one can answer simple questions. I even explained, that they don’t have an Overlander section on their own forum. Apparently they are putting in the request to have one added.

Reactions: MiamiC70

Sjo527

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
J
Member #

Well, I picked up an Overlander for an excellent price. Pretty excited to get it in the field.
I like using mine in tandem with Gaia. I have Gaia on my head unit via carplay. I find the Overlander for me personally works very well when using it for following predefined routes. It holds up pretty well when just exploring but I find I'm looking at Gaia more when I do that. That being said the integration with iOverlander and other camp locations in the Overlander has come in handy in multiple situations when I'm done exploring and just looking for a solid campground or destination. This comes in handy especially when there is no cell service. I too got mine for way under $700. I would not pay full price for this unit but I think that $400-$300 range is definitely worthy of a purchase.

enjoitheride

Rank I

Contributor II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Well, I picked up an Overlander for an excellent price. Pretty excited to get it in the field.
I like using mine in tandem with Gaia. I have Gaia on my head unit via carplay. I find the Overlander for me personally works very well when using it for following predefined routes. It holds up pretty well when just exploring but I find I'm looking at Gaia more when I do that. That being said the integration with iOverlander and other camp locations in the Overlander has come in handy in multiple situations when I'm done exploring and just looking for a solid campground or destination. This comes in handy especially when there is no cell service. I too got mine for way under $700. I would not pay full price for this unit but I think that $400-$300 range is definitely worthy of a purchase.
Yeah, I kind of wanted to branch away from Gaia and using an iPad. I really like all the Garmin integration, and the magnetic mount was really cool. Plus, I could pair my inReach to it. I’ve been so involved with the Garmin eco system, it only made sense. I got mine in the price range you stated. Thanks for the reply!

passivelyoffcourse

Rank I
OB1

Traveler I

Plainfield, IL, USA
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Renda
Member #

Great thread. We are having a family reunion in Delta, CO in July and am looking forward to hitting some trails and getting away from flat America. Do these apps, Gaia and onX track without cellular service or will a gps unit be needed like a Bad Elf?

Ubiety

NorthWest Region Member Rep Seattle WA
Supporter

Educator I

Sammamish, Washington, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
E
Member #

Great thread. We are having a family reunion in Delta, CO in July and am looking forward to hitting some trails and getting away from flat America. Do these apps, Gaia and onX track without cellular service or will a gps unit be needed like a Bad Elf?
That depends upon the device that you are running them on - if it has a GPS built in then yes it will track without an external GPS, otherwise not so much. For instance a Wifi only iPad does not have a GPS so it is dependent on an external GPS, an iPad with cellular capability has a hardware GPS and does not need a cell signal to know where it is. So check your device to see what its capabilities are.

Reactions: passivelyoffcourse

enjoitheride

Rank I

Contributor II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Gaia/ OnX running on an iPad with GPS will work. Basically if it has cellular. The Garmin Overlander has it built in and will track. The Garmin Overlander also has all the maps preloaded on it, so you don’t have to download them like Gaia/Onx. A really nice feature in case you have no service.

Ubiety

NorthWest Region Member Rep Seattle WA
Supporter

Educator I

Sammamish, Washington, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
E
Member #

Basically if it has cellular
Just to clarify - an iPad with cellular capability has a GPS and no need for an actual cell signal to track. My cellular capable iPad does not have a SIM/data plan and it works just fine. Its the WiFi only iPads that will need a little help as they do not have a GPS. At least on iOS all apps get their location from iOS's Location Services meaning that they do not interact directly with the GPS - meaning any app should work as long as Location Services knows where it is. I believe pretty much any modern phone will have a GPS.

To be fair Gaia has a wider range of maps available for download and those tend to have more detail - just repeating what reviewers have said.

Reactions: enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Rank I

Contributor II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Basically if it has cellular
Just to clarify - an iPad with cellular capability has a GPS and no need for an actual cell signal to track. My cellular capable iPad does not have a SIM/data plan and it works just fine. Its the WiFi only iPads that will need a little help as they do not have a GPS. At least on iOS all apps get their location from iOS's Location Services meaning that they do not interact directly with the GPS - meaning any app should work as long as Location Services knows where it is. I believe pretty much any modern phone will have a GPS.

To be fair Gaia has a wider range of maps available for download and those tend to have more detail - just repeating what reviewers have said.
Yeah, I guess I should have clarified. I just meant the iPad that has cellular has the GPS.

And yes, Gaia has a plethora of map features. Not bashing them at all. I think it’s nice to have options for people to choose from. It pushes innovation, and I think it’s important to continuously improve.

Reactions: Ubiety

smlobx

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Smith Mt. Lake, VA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham Callsign
KO4CPL
So what maps are actually included with the unit?
Is it more than the US? Does it cover Mexico and Canada?
Thanks!

Chubnut

Rank I
OB1

Contributor I

Thakeham, Pulborough, West Sussex, United Kingdom
First Name
John
Last Name
De Souza Mattos
Member #

I've been really disappointed in sat nav devices recently and find they don't do very well here in the UK when you want to go off road. My Range has off road sat nav built in but the maps are not really updateable now but it's still better than some sat navs including Garmin.

My Defender has nothing in it though. I'm actually in the market for an Android tablet with a decent GPS chip to go into it. I have GAIA, iOverlander, OS Maps, HERE and other tools on my phone and want to use them on a decent sized tablet and supplement as necessary with any other GPS device available for UK and Europe. HERE maps works really well for normal routing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent Android tablet? At the moment, I'm leaning towards Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e LTE. Has anyone used one of these for overlanding?

enjoitheride

Rank I

Contributor II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I've been really disappointed in sat nav devices recently and find they don't do very well here in the UK when you want to go off road. My Range has off road sat nav built in but the maps are not really updateable now but it's still better than some sat navs including Garmin.

My Defender has nothing in it though. I'm actually in the market for an Android tablet with a decent GPS chip to go into it. I have GAIA, iOverlander, OS Maps, HERE and other tools on my phone and want to use them on a decent sized tablet and supplement as necessary with any other GPS device available for UK and Europe. HERE maps works really well for normal routing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent Android tablet? At the moment, I'm leaning towards Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e LTE. Has anyone used one of these for overlanding?
I’ve always been an Apple user, but I know a bunch of people with Samsung tablets and they really like them. Don’t think you can go wrong with them, as they are always pushing the innovation envelope.

Reactions: Chubnut

Sjo527

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
J
Member #

I’ve always been an Apple user, but I know a bunch of people with Samsung tablets and they really like them. Don’t think you can go wrong with them, as they are always pushing the innovation envelope.
I've owned both. When I owned an android tablet. Samsung was the golden standard with LG running close behind. It's been about 3-4 years so not sure how others are doing now but I don't think you can go wrong any more. Just make sure to do your research.

genocache

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hmmmm, been reading this with interest.
I am still running my Garmin Monterra for maps. I like it except for the small screen. I download the maps where I'm going to and it always works. I also do extensive GooooooooogleEarth and paper map scouting. I carry Delorme atlas with me. I am good with map and compass.
With all the chatter online been thinking about Gaia and a tablet, The Overlander sounds good, but HOLY CRAP what a pricetag!

I used to go out in the 70-80's with just map and compass, do I need all the new stuff? No, but it helps when in those first uncertain moments of "Where the F am I?".

Hmmmmmmmmmm,...........

Chubnut

Rank I
OB1

Contributor I

Thakeham, Pulborough, West Sussex, United Kingdom
First Name
John
Last Name
De Souza Mattos
Member #

Hmmmm, been reading this with interest.
I am still running my Garmin Monterra for maps. I like it except for the small screen. I download the maps where I'm going to and it always works. I also do extensive GooooooooogleEarth and paper map scouting. I carry Delorme atlas with me. I am good with map and compass.
With all the chatter online been thinking about Gaia and a tablet, The Overlander sounds good, but HOLY CRAP what a pricetag!

I used to go out in the 70-80's with just map and compass, do I need all the new stuff? No, but it helps when in those first uncertain moments of "Where the F am I?".

Hmmmmmmmmmm,...........
I think map reading is an under appreciated skill. I still have a number of compasses in my various bags as there are always places where you can't get decent signal.

Reactions: Sjo527 and Ubiety

Sjo527

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
J
Member #

I think map reading is an under appreciated skill. I still have a number of compasses in my various bags as there are always places where you can't get decent signal.
Agreed. I'm attempting to learn how to orienteer which i think will improve my overland planning and navigation. I understand the basics but still very easy to lose my way.