Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Great thread. We are having a family reunion in Delta, CO in July and am looking forward to hitting some trails and getting away from flat America. Do these apps, Gaia and onX track without cellular service or will a gps unit be needed like a Bad Elf?
That depends upon the device that you are running them on - if it has a GPS built in then yes it will track without an external GPS, otherwise not so much. For instance a Wifi only iPad does not have a GPS so it is dependent on an external GPS, an iPad with cellular capability has a hardware GPS and does not need a cell signal to know where it is. So check your device to see what its capabilities are.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Great thread. We are having a family reunion in Delta, CO in July and am looking forward to hitting some trails and getting away from flat America. Do these apps, Gaia and onX track without cellular service or will a gps unit be needed like a Bad Elf?
Gaia/ OnX running on an iPad with GPS will work. Basically if it has cellular. The Garmin Overlander has it built in and will track. The Garmin Overlander also has all the maps preloaded on it, so you don’t have to download them like Gaia/Onx. A really nice feature in case you have no service.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Basically if it has cellular
Just to clarify - an iPad with cellular capability has a GPS and no need for an actual cell signal to track. My cellular capable iPad does not have a SIM/data plan and it works just fine. Its the WiFi only iPads that will need a little help as they do not have a GPS. At least on iOS all apps get their location from iOS's Location Services meaning that they do not interact directly with the GPS - meaning any app should work as long as Location Services knows where it is. I believe pretty much any modern phone will have a GPS.

To be fair Gaia has a wider range of maps available for download and those tend to have more detail - just repeating what reviewers have said.

Reactions: enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Basically if it has cellular
Just to clarify - an iPad with cellular capability has a GPS and no need for an actual cell signal to track. My cellular capable iPad does not have a SIM/data plan and it works just fine. Its the WiFi only iPads that will need a little help as they do not have a GPS. At least on iOS all apps get their location from iOS's Location Services meaning that they do not interact directly with the GPS - meaning any app should work as long as Location Services knows where it is. I believe pretty much any modern phone will have a GPS.

To be fair Gaia has a wider range of maps available for download and those tend to have more detail - just repeating what reviewers have said.
Yeah, I guess I should have clarified. I just meant the iPad that has cellular has the GPS.

And yes, Gaia has a plethora of map features. Not bashing them at all. I think it’s nice to have options for people to choose from. It pushes innovation, and I think it’s important to continuously improve.

Reactions: Ubiety

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
So what maps are actually included with the unit?
Is it more than the US? Does it cover Mexico and Canada?
Thanks!

Chubnut

Rank III

Contributor III

Thakeham, Pulborough, West Sussex, United Kingdom
First Name
John
Last Name
De Souza Mattos
Member #

I've been really disappointed in sat nav devices recently and find they don't do very well here in the UK when you want to go off road. My Range has off road sat nav built in but the maps are not really updateable now but it's still better than some sat navs including Garmin.

My Defender has nothing in it though. I'm actually in the market for an Android tablet with a decent GPS chip to go into it. I have GAIA, iOverlander, OS Maps, HERE and other tools on my phone and want to use them on a decent sized tablet and supplement as necessary with any other GPS device available for UK and Europe. HERE maps works really well for normal routing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent Android tablet? At the moment, I'm leaning towards Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e LTE. Has anyone used one of these for overlanding?

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I've been really disappointed in sat nav devices recently and find they don't do very well here in the UK when you want to go off road. My Range has off road sat nav built in but the maps are not really updateable now but it's still better than some sat navs including Garmin.

My Defender has nothing in it though. I'm actually in the market for an Android tablet with a decent GPS chip to go into it. I have GAIA, iOverlander, OS Maps, HERE and other tools on my phone and want to use them on a decent sized tablet and supplement as necessary with any other GPS device available for UK and Europe. HERE maps works really well for normal routing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent Android tablet? At the moment, I'm leaning towards Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e LTE. Has anyone used one of these for overlanding?
I’ve always been an Apple user, but I know a bunch of people with Samsung tablets and they really like them. Don’t think you can go wrong with them, as they are always pushing the innovation envelope.

Reactions: Chubnut

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I’ve always been an Apple user, but I know a bunch of people with Samsung tablets and they really like them. Don’t think you can go wrong with them, as they are always pushing the innovation envelope.
I've owned both. When I owned an android tablet. Samsung was the golden standard with LG running close behind. It's been about 3-4 years so not sure how others are doing now but I don't think you can go wrong any more. Just make sure to do your research.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hmmmm, been reading this with interest.
I am still running my Garmin Monterra for maps. I like it except for the small screen. I download the maps where I'm going to and it always works. I also do extensive GooooooooogleEarth and paper map scouting. I carry Delorme atlas with me. I am good with map and compass.
With all the chatter online been thinking about Gaia and a tablet, The Overlander sounds good, but HOLY CRAP what a pricetag!

I used to go out in the 70-80's with just map and compass, do I need all the new stuff? No, but it helps when in those first uncertain moments of "Where the F am I?".

Hmmmmmmmmmm,...........

Chubnut

Rank III

Contributor III

Thakeham, Pulborough, West Sussex, United Kingdom
First Name
John
Last Name
De Souza Mattos
Member #

Hmmmm, been reading this with interest.
I am still running my Garmin Monterra for maps. I like it except for the small screen. I download the maps where I'm going to and it always works. I also do extensive GooooooooogleEarth and paper map scouting. I carry Delorme atlas with me. I am good with map and compass.
With all the chatter online been thinking about Gaia and a tablet, The Overlander sounds good, but HOLY CRAP what a pricetag!

I used to go out in the 70-80's with just map and compass, do I need all the new stuff? No, but it helps when in those first uncertain moments of "Where the F am I?".

Hmmmmmmmmmm,...........
I think map reading is an under appreciated skill. I still have a number of compasses in my various bags as there are always places where you can't get decent signal.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I think map reading is an under appreciated skill. I still have a number of compasses in my various bags as there are always places where you can't get decent signal.
Agreed. I'm attempting to learn how to orienteer which i think will improve my overland planning and navigation. I understand the basics but still very easy to lose my way.

Giljr572

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Deep River, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Gilles
Last Name
Pepin
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
The JT I bought had the basic Uconnect 3 radio with the 5” display in it, no nav or Apple CarPlay. Since I was buying off the lot I didn’t really have a choice to upgrade to one of the bigger Uconnect radio unit with all the bells and whistles. So I took the money saved and got the Overlander. Is it worth the price they’re asking for it? Probably not, if I had not saved a lot of money by not getting the bigger radio the decision to get one might had been a different one. But on sale? Absolutely yes. I do not regret it. Out of the box it got everything you need to navigate on and off road. Is it perfect? No, but it does pretty well. Map and software upgrade (free) comes pretty regularly, and the integration with other Garmin products (In Reach, camera, PowerSwitch) is a big feature that should not be discounted.

Being an Android tablet, it is pretty easy to “sideload” the Gaia GPS or BRMB (Back Road Mapbook) app right on it, or any other app you want, and then you have the best of both world. I still have Gaia and BRMB on my phone as a backup or complement, but with this setup I don’t feel the need to run a separate tablet to run nav.

Paired with the RAM Mount Tough-Track the magnetic mount is fantastic! Even with the doors and roof off I just need to grab the Overlander and secure it behind the seat or take it with me. Super easy, nothing to connect and disconnect. Super clean install, big enough to be easy to read without being so big as to get in the way.

Garmin Explore (which is used to create waypoints, routes and such) can be a pain in the ass to use when creating a long route, but it is very easy to import something created elsewhere (e.g. Gaia) in it and then you just need to sync the Overlander and your stuff is moved over.

So yes, I would recommend the Overlander for someone that doesn’t already have a tablet setup for their nav or a radio with nav and Apple CarPlay. Even better if on sale! It is not perfect, but it’s pretty close, and anyway, what is perfect nowadays?

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

The JT I bought had the basic Uconnect 3 radio with the 5” display in it, no nav or Apple CarPlay. Since I was buying off the lot I didn’t really have a choice to upgrade to one of the bigger Uconnect radio unit with all the bells and whistles. So I took the money saved and got the Overlander. Is it worth the price they’re asking for it? Probably not, if I had not saved a lot of money by not getting the bigger radio the decision to get one might had been a different one. But on sale? Absolutely yes. I do not regret it. Out of the box it got everything you need to navigate on and off road. Is it perfect? No, but it does pretty well. Map and software upgrade (free) comes pretty regularly, and the integration with other Garmin products (In Reach, camera, PowerSwitch) is a big feature that should not be discounted.

Being an Android tablet, it is pretty easy to “sideload” the Gaia GPS or BRMB (Back Road Mapbook) app right on it, or any other app you want, and then you have the best of both world. I still have Gaia and BRMB on my phone as a backup or complement, but with this setup I don’t feel the need to run a separate tablet to run nav.

Paired with the RAM Mount Tough-Track the magnetic mount is fantastic! Even with the doors and roof off I just need to grab the Overlander and secure it behind the seat or take it with me. Super easy, nothing to connect and disconnect. Super clean install, big enough to be easy to read without being so big as to get in the way.

Garmin Explore (which is used to create waypoints, routes and such) can be a pain in the ass to use when creating a long route, but it is very easy to import something created elsewhere (e.g. Gaia) in it and then you just need to sync the Overlander and your stuff is moved over.

So yes, I would recommend the Overlander for someone that doesn’t already have a tablet setup for their nav or a radio with nav and Apple CarPlay. Even better if on sale! It is not perfect, but it’s pretty close, and anyway, what is perfect nowadays?
The new power switch is pretty cool. It’s a nice way to integrate everything with a product you might already own.

Giljr572

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Gilles
Last Name
Pepin
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
The new power switch is pretty cool. It’s a nice way to integrate everything with a product you might already own.
It is! Too bad it's like a bit more than twice the price of a Rugged Ridge MLC-6 Switch bank... It's even more expensive than the stock MOPAR switch bank! So unless I find it on sale in the near future I don't think I can justify spending that much. On top of that I would need to fabric a bracket for installing it in the Jeep, which add to the cost. But having my switches directly on the Overlander would be pretty cool, that's for sure.

Reactions: enjoitheride

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
It is! Too bad it's like a bit more than twice the price of a Rugged Ridge MLC-6 Switch bank... It's even more expensive than the stock MOPAR switch bank! So unless I find it on sale in the near future I don't think I can justify spending that much. On top of that I would need to fabric a bracket for installing it in the Jeep, which add to the cost. But having my switches directly on the Overlander would be pretty cool, that's for sure.
I never even thought of trying to load Gaia on to my Overlander..... Do you have any documentation on how you did that? I have a big trip in 2 days so don't have too long to mess around figuring it out on my own.

Edit* never mind I think I figured it out

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety

Giljr572

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Gilles
Last Name
Pepin
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
I never even thought of trying to load Gaia on to my Overlander..... Do you have any documentation on how you did that? I have a big trip in 2 days so don't have too long to mess around figuring it out on my own.

Edit* never mind I think I figured it out
Are you good to go? Talking about sideloading made me realize yesterday that I could install the OB app on the Overlander and it works!

JeepRushRick

Rank I

Contributor I

Aurora, IL, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Heckman
Member #

I think, as a very new "overlander" this will be worth the expense for the reasons stated by mep1811. I just hope it wont be obsolete before I get good use out of it!