Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

Been building up my rig for about 2 years. At this point I am WAY over the book value of my 89 Ford Bronco, but I can't find full coverage insurance.
Any idea how to find insurance for a built 4x4, AND get full value for the upgrades?

I am worried about theft and would really like some insurance.

Attachments

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

There are actually quite a few companies that will insure your vehicle for the cost of the truck plus all the add ons included. I know for sure Esurance will. but with that being said, theyre taking a risk and it wont be cheap on your end.

however.. im not sure that they would cover theft of anything that is stored outside of the vehicle.

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

There are actually quite a few companies that will insure your vehicle for the cost of the truck plus all the add ons included. I know for sure Esurance will. but with that being said, theyre taking a risk and it wont be cheap on your end.

however.. im not sure that they would cover theft of anything that is stored outside of the vehicle.
Cool thanks I'll try eSurance. So far progressive, state farm, geico, and my current little insurance company all said no.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
You might need to depart from the main stream insurance groups and find a company that specializes. I know there are a few good options for muscle cars and old/ rare sports cars that will insure based on declared value.
Oh and by the way, super nice Bronco man. Seeing that makes me miss my 82 shortbox 150 4x4 that had a built 300-6...

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

You might need to depart from the main stream insurance groups and find a company that specializes. I know there are a few good options for muscle cars and old/ rare sports cars that will insure based on declared value.
Oh and by the way, super nice Bronco man. Seeing that makes me miss my 82 shortbox 150 4x4 that had a built 300-6...
Yeah I agree I may need a specialty carrier. I have looked at a few like hagertys but they are out because of lift and winch. I'll keep looking.
And thanks on the bronco. Can't wait to finally finish it. That is awesome on your 82 4x4. Man that is one of the greatest trucks of all time! Love those. The 4x4 version is getting hard to find on those 80s f150s.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

GEICO offered me additional coverage for aftermarket parts for an additional cost. the sales person stressed that most off highway accidents arnt covered by normal full coverage insurance tho.
For example if I roll over on an unmarked trail back in the Bush GEICO probably wouldn't help.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Have you talked to an actual insurance agent? Find one that isn't tied in to only one company and can search out good pricing for you. They might even be able to tie your homeowner's/renter's insurance all together and you can sometimes end up paying less or getting better coverage than you thought.

Reactions: Ready6delta

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

Have you talked to an actual insurance agent? Find one that isn't tied in to only one company and can search out good pricing for you. They might even be able to tie your homeowner's/renter's insurance all together and you can sometimes end up paying less or getting better coverage than you thought.
Yeah I talked to my current agent. She spent the day trying to find coverage but wasn't successful. She couldn't even find full coverage much less full value. I'll keep looking.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Yeah I talked to my current agent. She spent the day trying to find coverage but wasn't successful. She couldn't even find full coverage much less full value. I'll keep looking.
I'd reach out to another agent or two. I had the same happen with my previous agent. Each year I would ask for new quotes, dude would just tell me "yea, looked around, didn't find anything better". I called another guy, Was able to increase coverage of my house and cars, reduce deductibles for the same dollar. so....

Reactions: Tres

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

This is probably different for the USA, but for what it's worth, I'm insured with BCAA, and they have specifically told me that there is no exclusion for off road use, so if I manage to flip the CRV off a cliff somewhere in the backcountry and not die, I'm covered. Not sure if they cover aftermarket bits or not. I should ask about that.

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

This is probably different for the USA, but for what it's worth, I'm insured with BCAA, and they have specifically told me that there is no exclusion for off road use, so if I manage to flip the CRV off a cliff somewhere in the backcountry and not die, I'm covered. Not sure if they cover aftermarket bits or not. I should ask about that.
Very interesting. The full coverage would be nice for the off road situations. It is cool that they will cover you for that. I am most concerned with someone stealing it while it sits at home. Sounds like my renters insurance for my home won't cover it either. I work out of town 5 days a week. I'll keep looking....

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

Cool thanks I'll try eSurance. So far progressive, state farm, geico, and my current little insurance company all said no.
Interesting. I've been with State Farm for over 20 years. My Jeep, which is my primary overlander, has full coverage. Xterra is Liability and Comp only. Anything attached to either vehicle is covered by Comp. Roof rack, gas cans, winch, etc. Full coverage covers any damage caused by me. But I could be grandfathered, too. I have ZERO deductible for Comp. They don't offer that anymore. Main reason I'm still with them.

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

Interesting. I've been with State Farm for over 20 years. My Jeep, which is my primary overlander, has full coverage. Xterra is Liability and Comp only. Anything attached to either vehicle is covered by Comp. Roof rack, gas cans, winch, etc. Full coverage covers any damage caused by me. But I could be grandfathered, too. I have ZERO deductible for Comp. They don't offer that anymore. Main reason I'm still with them.
Ok great info. I know a state farm agent. I will give them a call as well. Thanks!

Jackman547

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

La Grande, Or
First Name
David
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

Your renters insurance should cover anything that get stolen while the truck sits. Depending on the company you might have to add the potion but it is available. I have full coverage through geico. It doesn’t cover all the add ones like you’re looking for but I’ve had my truck broken into two different times and my full coverage covered any damage to the vehicle and then renters insurance covered any stolen items. Just had to pay a deductible and show receipts for proof the items were in the truck.

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

Ye
Your renters insurance should cover anything that get stolen while the truck sits. Depending on the company you might have to add the potion but it is available. I have full coverage through geico. It doesn’t cover all the add ones like you’re looking for but I’ve had my truck broken into two different times and my full coverage covered any damage to the vehicle and then renters insurance covered any stolen items. Just had to pay a deductible and show receipts for proof the items were in the truck.
Yeah that is exactly what I was looking for. My renters insurance said no because it wasn't in a locked garage. I only have a carport. It won't even fit in a garage or carport anymore lol. I need new renters insurance it seems as well lol.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
As your agent about stated value coverage. That is what I carry on my 85 Cherokee. I have it insured for $22k and my trailer for $16k.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

As your agent about stated value coverage. That is what I carry on my 85 Cherokee. I have it insured for $22k and my trailer for $16k.
Excellent thanks! I just talked to a State Farm agent and she seemed optimistic. She has pics of bronco now and is talking to under writing. I'll email her about stated value.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Make sure you find this out and if your insurance company says they do, get this in writing! Most full coverage insurance stops as soon as you drive your vehicle off-road! While living at The Washington Coast, I heard many stories of people losing there vehicles while driving on the beach, for what ever reason. Then go to the insurance company trying to get the vehicle replaced and no such luck! Do not take the word of the insurance salesperson! Get the confirmation in writing ahead of time from the insurance company! Vance.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Virtually all the trails in Moab and most of the Colorado trails are full fledged County Roads.

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

Make sure you find this out and if your insurance company says they do, get this in writing! Most full coverage insurance stops as soon as you drive your vehicle off-road! While living at The Washington Coast, I heard many stories of people losing there vehicles while driving on the beach, for what ever reason. Then go to the insurance company trying to get the vehicle replaced and no such luck! Do not take the word of the insurance salesperson! Get the confirmation in writing ahead of time from the insurance company! Vance.
Great advice I will definitely get it in writing. 2 more agents today and still no full coverage much less stated value. This is getting old fast lol