Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I literally just finished getting the radio installed in my car like an hour ago, so I'm rushing to try and figure it out so I can jump on the net. :tearsofjoy:

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Sorry you couldn’t make it tonight Jeffrey. We’re here every week, so you’ll have plenty of chances.
Looking forward to hearing you chime in with your thoughts!

Shane, K5TIN

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
OB Net notes 26APR19

Topic – Open topic

Control – K5TIN (Shane)

Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net EchoLink node 591550

Check-ins:
1 KJ7BHN Brent WA Open topic tonight. Just trying to go back through the forum to see what has been covered. If we've not done something, send me something either on the forum or PM and I'll recreate the list. Lost my original one. Next week, going back to ham radio basics for the new guys. 2. Great topic suggestion for fire extinguishers. Have it as a stand alone and will cover it more in depth in the future. Have one from factory just inside the front door of the Earth Cruiser, but will be adding a couple more due to vehicle size. Also, wanted to ask if Jon would be willing to do a Sky Warn tutorial at some point and for Brien to cover Baja whenever you’re ready. Jon: Responded to your message a while back, but I usually work on Friday nights. If something becomes available I will advise. Brien: Would be totally down with doing that. Might also want to open it up to more than just Baja.

2 N7PHY Ed WA Good evening. Weather has been great today. Stocking up on recovery gear and this will be a topic in the future. Late last night 30M-40M was wide open last night and great. Going to check out to go to school function, so will not be here for round 2.

3 NB9D Neil ME Thanks for having us. Good to be here. Nothing really to add tonight. Rainy, but snow is gone. Now just mud but making progress. 2.Regarding extinguishers, neighbors didn't have one as far as I know and they lost their house. Think it’s very important. Two is one and one is none, so definitely need to have more than one. 2. Nothing to add.

4 WX5SKY Jon OK Just doing normal routine at work. Hoping not to be here next week due to camping trip. Need to work on jeep clutch first, though. Hope to be able to get that done this weekend.

5 KI7RAM Bill NV Nothing much to report here in Reno. Just beautiful weather with the snow almost gone. Doing group day runs. Put in a diff breather on the 4R recently. Thinking this could also be a future topic. A how-to and what are they for. Also, what is your ultimate overlanding vehicle for future topics. 2. I do carry an extinguisher. Carry on back left molly bag, but no sticker on exterior for that side indicating such. Only medical sticker on other side to indicate where the medical kit is.

6 K7XPO Brien AZ Good evening. Last weekend was in MX in east central Sonora. Had a lot of fun. On the way back with three vehicles, two had mechanical issues. A 4R had electrical issue with a melting wire in the rear that messed up the tranny. Got it fixed by snipping a few wires and resetting the codes. The safety through the inverter was in use which disabled the tranny. So question, do you have a extinguisher and where do you store it? Mine in jeep is on rear driver side door well and also have a sticker noting this. Second is inside the trailer with a sticker. Side note, was a little too hard using on one battery with the fridge. Got sloppy and let the battery drain too much and think I killed it so pulled the trigger on an AGM dual battery kit and two new batteries. Next project will be dual battery install. 2. Bit more info on 4R issue. Pretty sure the cause might be because fridge was plugged into the stock 12V outlet. Was pulling too many amps so overworked the wires. When the guy got home and got into the garage, he couldn’t get the truck to start again and found that the main harness was melted. If you are running a fridge, use direct wiring. 8g wire from battery to switch box is what I use. Also have 30A breaker in the engine compartment with another breaker and a fuse in the back and in line.

7 KC2MH ? Mario No traffic. On a hotspot. Thanks for the extinguisher reminders. (he was hard to read and in and out with the hotspot, so I didn’t get the last letter in his call either time I tried to clarify).

8 W8ILL Will MI Still working on antennas, but having fun. Good net tonight. Everyone have a good week and hope to hear you next Friday.

9. K5TIN Shane LA (Net control) Have a 5 lb marine extinguisher purchased from Cabela’s mounted left rear in the cargo area of the 4R just above the wheel well pocket. Probably need to get another one to mount under the front passenger seat for a backup, but just haven’t done it yet. Regarding Brien’s 4R wire melting story: This got me kind of concerned until he clarified that the fridge was likely being run off of the factory 12V socket in the cargo area. I ran an 8AWG wire direct from the battery to a second dual plug 12V outlet I mounted in the wheel well pocket above the factory one, so no issue with that. Has a fuse in-line near the battery. Thinking I might want to also install a breaker in there at some point as well so as not to be totally reliant on the fridge controller’s tiny brain.

Summary: Short net tonight (bit over 30 minutes). 9 check-ins including Net Controller. There was a discussion at the end of the net and afterwards about Brent and I doing a “live” net from Expo West on 5/17 to cover our impressions and what we’d seen and experienced up to that point. GREAT idea that we will work on getting set up. No promises, but we’re definitely going to try and make this happen so STAY TUNED! Thanks again for checking in and have a great week! 73, Shane…

Last edited:

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Will from Michigan, that is an awesome vanity call sign! :laughing:
That it is. He is one of the custodians for the Grits n Gravy node and was awesome enough to help get us permission to use it for our nets when we first got started. All around great guy to boot. We really enjoy having him join us every week . Honestly, I was getting kind of concerned that I hadn't heard him check in when I was going down the list. Just wouldn't be the same without him.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I am a noob to the ham stuff but have been a engineer designing and testing commercial/military/satellite radios for decades. I have run into some questions that I could use answers for and I figure others may have the same questions, so if anyone would care to answer, it may help others also.

Mainly my questions lie with EchoLink. I got it on my laptop and it is all installed and I am registered with them. The problem I have, others may have also, is that I am on the road and trying to use it through a wifi at my hotel. I can connect to the node just fine and hear all that is going on and even communicate with the "texting" box, but I can't transmit audio. I get a warning when I first boot up that the hotel router does not have a couple of ports open. Upon further digging, it appears those channels are for sending UDP packets. This is how EchoLink receives your transmitted audio from a laptop.

I am stuck here for several months, so...does anybody have a solution?

I loaded EchoLink on my Samsung Note 5. All appears fine, but the interface is quite different and I don't see how to connect to the Node, like with the Windows program. Can someone enlighten me? Or do I go a different direction. Am I suffering from operator head spacing?

Also for the noob, how would I link to the net from a 2m handheld? I have connected to my local repeaters here in Binghamton, NY. Do I need to find a repeater that is specifically linked to EchoLink?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Mainly my questions lie with EchoLink. I got it on my laptop and it is all installed and I am registered with them. The problem I have, others may have also, is that I am on the road and trying to use it through a wifi at my hotel. I can connect to the node just fine and hear all that is going on and even communicate with the "texting" box, but I can't transmit audio. I get a warning when I first boot up that the hotel router does not have a couple of ports open. Upon further digging, it appears those channels are for sending UDP packets. This is how EchoLink receives your transmitted audio from a laptop.
Sorry to hear about your UDP port woes - I had to poke holes in my home router to get my setup working. Unfortunately hotel staff are likely to be unwilling/unable to help you and the solution would not scale well if there happened to be multiple users. I wonder if Echolink has a web based app that might work? Or can you turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot for Echolink use? This might work around the issue at the expense of cell data usage.

Somewhat related question. I have noticed that the Echolink Windows app turns my password into uppercase when I enter it which breaks logging in. Hmmmm. I guess the fix is to change my Echolink pass to all upper but this seems wrong. Mixed upper/lower works on my iPhone with the Echolink app.

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Sorry to hear about your UDP port woes - I had to poke holes in my home router to get my setup working. Unfortunately hotel staff are likely to be unwilling/unable to help you and the solution would not scale well if there happened to be multiple users. I wonder if Echolink has a web based app that might work? Or can you turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot for Echolink use? This might work around the issue at the expense of cell data usage.

Somewhat related question. I have noticed that the Echolink Windows app turns my password into uppercase when I enter it which breaks logging in. Hmmmm. I guess the fix is to change my Echolink pass to all upper but this seems wrong. Mixed upper/lower works on my iPhone with the Echolink app.
This is cell phone hell (Binghamton, NY). I can't get cell or 3/4G at work (TMobile). In the hotel, I can get cell, but no network. I tried your idea first but no hotspot since there is no cell network connection.

I thought about seeing if the hotel left the default password on their router...he...he

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I thought about seeing if the hotel left the default password on their router...he...he
:)

We have a cabin on an island 7 miles across salt water to a decent sized mainland town. For years I pointed a 24db gain WiFi dish at the town and looked for access points named "Linksys" :) At that time anything with a default name (especially "Linksys") had no security; things have changed re: open access points. Ahhh the good old days.

Memories... My daughter (now in college) spent a lot of her formative years there; the only TV we could get was over the air from Canada. For a while she thought she was Canadian and would sing Oh Canada to us. Hahaha.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
For any of you old farts, how many screwed around with blue boxes and phreaking phones.

Reactions: Ubiety

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@old_man does this help you with the Echolink app?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
@old_man does this help you with the Echolink app?
I did that but the other half of my post was dealing with how to get EchoLink to give me a selection for connecting like the PC based app does.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Will be out camping and playing radio this weekend, keep an ear out for me if any of ya'll are on HF.
It should be a busy weekend with QSO parties covering 10 states.
Friday may be a little iffy for playing on the radio though as there is a chance of rain all day.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Will be out camping and playing radio this weekend, keep an ear out for me if any of ya'll are on HF.
It should be a busy weekend with QSO parties covering 10 states.
Friday may be a little iffy for playing on the radio though as there is a chance of rain all day.
Sounds like great weekend plans. I'll be listening for you on the HF.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Happy Friday everyone! I'll be your net control this evening. Our theme tonight is HAM radio Q&A. If you have questions or would like to share cool radio things you are working on, tonight is the night. As always, all amateur radio operators are welcome and encouraged to check in.
Hope to catch you on the net. 73 - Ed N7PHY