Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
How long did it take the FCC to grant yours from the time you filled out the application? I did mine two weeks ago.
It typically takes 18 days, so only a few more to go!

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
How long did it take the FCC to grant yours from the time you filled out the application? I did mine two weeks ago.
I submitted the request online on April 25th and it just got granted today. So it was exactly what the FCC claimed for issuance – 18-20 days.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
The redlight review on my callsign was actually completed the very next day. I'm sure if you view your application status, yours probably was too.

All of the rest of that time is the FCC just waiting to see if anyone else submits a request for that same callsign – to provide a generous window of time in case anyone is submitting their application via snail mail and it's being held up.

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
It is still showing pending on the FCC site search. What do you mean red-lighted? I just wanted to order some stuff with the new call sign on it and was hoping to get it on the way.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

It is still showing pending on the FCC site search. What do you mean red-lighted? I just wanted to order some stuff with the new call sign on it and was hoping to get it on the way.
If nobody else applied for the first call sign on your list you "should" get that one, but....... won't know for sure until 5/18/2019 at the earliest.
They completed the redlight review on 5/2/2019 so no worries. Basically your application is good to go they are just waiting to see if anyone else applies for it.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
That just means they've completed the first step – ensuring there's no reason you can't be issued the call sign(s) you've requested. And since it was completed (according to your status page), you should be good to go.

You can see what I'm talking about in the History section: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applAdmin.jsp?applID=11472560

Contributor I

Orange County
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Gonzales
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6BGS
Hey there! Brand new member (was looking for other hams at Overland Expo West and found this board!)

I'd love to connect with others in the hobbies while I'm here, just not sure what frequencies y'all might be on. I'll hang out on 146.52 while at the show, it's been pretty quiet during setup. Maybe as people roll in.

I'll swing by the OB booth once the show kicks off, but feel free to give me a shout when you get in.
Thanks!
-Ed
KJ6BGS

Reactions: 12poundtest

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Ed (@FlyingPolymath) you might check into the OB Echolink net tomorrow. (more info in my signature below)
I believe some of the members who are also at Expo are going to get checking in, or at least that was discussed last week.
Maybe you can make contact with them on the net and find out where they are.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Reactions: 12poundtest

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Hey there! Brand new member (was looking for other hams at Overland Expo West and found this board!)

I'd love to connect with others in the hobbies while I'm here, just not sure what frequencies y'all might be on. I'll hang out on 146.52 while at the show, it's been pretty quiet during setup. Maybe as people roll in.

I'll swing by the OB booth once the show kicks off, but feel free to give me a shout when you get in.
Thanks!
-Ed
KJ6BGS

Brent (KJ7BHN) and I (K5TIN), I’m Shane btw, are both here along with several other OB hams. We’re monitoring 146.460.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR

Thanks!
-Ed
KJ6BGS
We are monitoring 146.46. I am kj7bhn and there are several others here I will introduce you to. I tried you on .52 but no answer. Going back to 146.46. Call me when you want. Brent

Contributor I

Orange County
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Gonzales
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6BGS
We are monitoring 146.46. I am kj7bhn and there are several others here I will introduce you to. I tried you on .52 but no answer. Going back to 146.46. Call me when you want. Brent
Ya, was out to dinner with the crew. I'll be back on this morning after breakfast, but on .46. Thanks for the update, look forward to meeting you all.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Greetings everyone! WD6TED did a fantastic job running his first net. I did logging duty in the background so will post the summary. Were trying a cloud based logging program which is working great, however there is a learning curve. Please let me know if I transpose your call incorectly. I'd really like that to be accurate. Anyway, we'll get it figured out.
Thank you to everyone!
--... ...--
Date: May 18, 2019
Net Control: Ted – WD6TED
Topic: Overland Expo West - Open Discussion

Emergency Traffic: None

Announcements: KJ7BHN – Brent – Greetings from overland expo west. Watch for a new OB app!

Check ins:
WD6TED Ted - Net Control
KJ7BHN - Brent - Overland West Expo
K5TIN - Shane - Overland West Expo
K7XPO - Brien - Overland West Expo
K6KNT - Kent - Overland West Expo
NN8U - Don - SW VA
KM4KPV - David - KY
KJ7EXK - Dana - WY
KM6YSL - Michael - Overland West Expo
KM4GHN - Mitch - VA
KT4OZ - Terry - VA
N7PHY - Ed - WA
KI7RAM - Bill - Reno
WX5SKY - Jon - OK
KM6CZR - Paul - Upstate NY
KE0VJR - Old Man - NY
KN4OSP - Sam - GA
W8ILL - Ole Man Will - MI
KJ7BJX - Thomas - Overland West Expo
KN4NQJ - Mike - VA
KS4KLM - Kevin - VA
NB9D - Neil - ME
KN4MCM - Al(?) - GA
N4HDF - Doug - VA
KE8AYE - Jason - OH

Tonight we chatted about overland expo west, getting impresions from everybody there who checked in. There some first time check ins (Welcome!) and a wide variety of web, repeater, and DMR check ins. Thank you everyone for the great conversation. We hope to hear you again on the net. -73

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Great group! It’s nice to find a net that acts as a nexus of more than one hobby. I expect I’ll be happy here. I know a couple of people expressed some interest in looking more into DMR and using a hotspot. The setup I was using tonight is a pretty basic DMR radio (Amazon) going to a pi-spot that I cobbled together from miscellaneous parts. If you enjoy building your own gear, I highly recommend building a pi-spot and knowing how one works. For those more weary of seeing how the sausage is made, I think you can pick up a pre-made hotspot for somewhere between $100 and $300 depending on the flavor.

Anyway, it’s been a fun setup for me. I can connect it to my home WiFi or to my phone and it works pretty much like a mobile repeater that I can use anywhere I want.

16931FF0-219F-4677-8A0C-D783D6DA03CE.jpeg

ED4B1AA3-E49E-4376-90CA-377BD08ACE24.jpeg

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Thanks for the posting JW. I've heard the pi-spot is a great way to go if you like to build your own. Thanks for the photo - it helps a lot as well.
I agree, this is a great net covering two hobbies / interests. It's a great group of people who make it easy to feel right a home. Glad you can join us!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Great group! It’s nice to find a net that acts as a nexus of more than one hobby. I expect I’ll be happy here. I know a couple of people expressed some interest in looking more into DMR and using a hotspot. The setup I was using tonight is a pretty basic DMR radio (Amazon) going to a pi-spot that I cobbled together from miscellaneous parts. If you enjoy building your own gear, I highly recommend building a pi-spot and knowing how one works. For those more weary of seeing how the sausage is made, I think you can pick up a pre-made hotspot for somewhere between $100 and $300 depending on the flavor.

Anyway, it’s been a fun setup for me. I can connect it to my home WiFi or to my phone and it works pretty much like a mobile repeater that I can use anywhere I want.

View attachment 98763

View attachment 98764

It sounded great! Just a little skip and lag, but perfectly readable. Welcome to the crew!

73, K5TIN (Shane)