Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Wow, what a great net we had tonight! Thank you everybody who could join, bringing all the great radio related questions and answers. Brent KJ7BHN mentioned we’ll be repeating this topic monthly to keep it going. Also thank you to the KG4DVE repeater group in Ashland KY for linking with our net tonight.
Below are my notes, such as they are. If there are any questions, comments, or suggestions for me, feel free to hit me up directly or in the forum thread. Also, if anybody is interested in trying their hand at net control please contact myself or any of the other net controllers. We would love to have you join us, no experience necessary.
Ok, look forward to checking in with everybody this time next week.

73 – Ed, N7PHY

-.-. --.-
Date: May 1, 2019
Net Control: Ed – N7PHY
Topic: HAM Radio Q&A

Emergency Traffic: None

Announcements: KJ7BHN – Brent – Thanks to net controls and everybody joining the net. Tonight’s topic is a HAM radio questions and answers. Primarily geared towards new HAMs but any radio related question is welcome.
Special welcome to everybody joining via the KG4DVE repeater in Ashland Kentucky!

Check-ins:

KK4SPW Larry – Mobile – In KY. First time joining the net. Q:What are digits heard? A: OB membership number but all licensed radio amateurs are welcome to the OB net.

KN4UBI Jeff 15578 – Mobile – Q: first time on echolink and first contact on Tuesday. Using app on phone, would like to connect to net through mobile. Local repeater with echolink node but how to enter codes to connect to grits gravey conference server? A: KN4IMU – may not be able to transmit dtmf, must activate. There is series of commands on echolink.org. Must know type of node. If repeater is using allstar, rep will require 3 in front of node number for example. Repeater book may have list of commands. Ans: W8ILL – on grits and gravy - have k4cge link, allstar and dmr. 41130 and dmr is 1137550. A: Kj7bhn – Brent has same radio and confirms it’s capable. Would like to second Brent’s comment, tonight was a wealth of information and would like to do this again.

KG4EAB Mitchell – Mobile – May have dropped before we got here. Thank you for checking in. (Ed comment)

KJ7BHN Brent - Oly WA - 13675 – Working on EC getting ready for overland west. Looking for HF contacts after the net if anyone interested. Will make this topic a monthly repeat due to interest. Also, Shane and Brent will check in from the overland west expo later this month!

N6DWA Dan Ventura CA 9939 – Sorry we couldn’t get to you sooner Dan. Thank you for checking in. (Ed comment)

KN6BKE Abdi – Berkeley CA - 8125 – New ham and just got on yesterday. Just learning and listening. Tried to access the C.L.A.R.A. (California Amateur Radio Linking Association) repeater network but not successful. Anyone have tips on that network? No solid answer but looking up possible tones. Can hit repeater but no contact. A: No experience with CLARA network on the net but discussed general non-response on some repeaters. Glad to join in and will try to join in every week. Wish expo west travelers a good time. Was there last year.

KE8KTR Travis - 14283 - St. Mary’s OH – new ham, currently running a … looking at handhelds. Don’t want baufeng. Not sure which direction to go. Regular handheld or DMR +. Carry on Harley. A: KJ7BHN – recommend … FT70 Yaesu. Analog plus digital but without APRS. Has auto detecting between analog and digital. No licensing fees with DMR but no cross modes with the digital modes. A: Excellent explanation from KM4KPV (see notes below). Solid discussion of various hand-helds and benefits of a simple to program unit.
Checking out – getting up at 3:30 to go to work.

KN4IMU Michael - Ashland KY – W8ILL Will invited KG4DVE repeater to join the node for our net tonight. (Awesome! – Ed) Associated with the Ashland Kentucky Rivers City Amateur Radio Association.

KM4KPV David - Lexington KY. – Answer to dstar, Yaesu question. Different types of digital radios being used. They are proprietary is problem. Yaesu, Icom, and t-25, and dmr (commercial system from Europe). DMR not that friendly, difficult to program and need code plug for each repeater to hit. Question about linking all-star, EchoLink, IRLP, function is to use internet to connect repeaters that otherwise can’t connect. Strongly encourage new user to get a handheld designed to be programed without a computer such as FT60, FT70.

Coordinator for emergency operations center. Found this net through the OB website while researching a project to create overland type vehicle .

VE1PS peter – must have had to drop. Glad you can check I n.

W8Ill WillDoing well. Couldn’t go fishing so caught some fish at the Walmart. Walleye and smelt. Glad stations from Ashland KY could connect.

K5TIN - Shane - Prairie View LA - 12189 – Also new to digital modes. New going on – got an SDR and working on that. Working on the HF program. Glad to hear new comers to the net.

KI7RAM Bill - Reno NV – Comment – If Brent is coming by Reno, stop by to show off the EC. Q: One antenna on 4 runner, diamond antenna broke. Bought Larson with spring. Range is less, not sure why. SWR seems to be ok. A: KJ7BHN – can’t speak to Larson but put head unit in ram mount on dash and main unit below console with ext mic cable. KT4OZ – did swr check at freq trying to operate. Higher gain antennas are very narrow band and may not be tuned for actual operating freq. Just looked up mini manual recommended by KT4OZ and very pleased, ordered a manual.

NB9D Neil Paris ME – may have left. No copy from Neil. Audio or delay problem?

KG2MHG mobile – Nothing heard but glad you could join. (Ed comment)

KE0VJR – Tom – 8300 – From Colorado but working in NY. Just got extra ticket. Work in the industry, prof engineer in communications. Antenna matches, designs, spacecraft radios. Check out makerspace to fabricate a bunch of equipment.

KT4OZ- Terry – Late check in, (glad you made it). Recommend simple, solid hand held as first radio. Also liking Yaesu, VX-6R for ruggedness.

Check nifty manuals for manuals with shortcuts, etc.
Ham Radio Guides, Books and Accessories | Nifty Accessories

WD6TED – Ted – Unable to hear Ted during the net but worked out whatever the audio problem was after the net was over. Note - Special thanks to Ted for joining the ranks of net controllers!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Glad everyone had a good net. Not sorry I missed it. Made it to my camping trip with ham radio friends and am currently camping in a deserted camp ground about 70 miles from where I was the last 2 days. Got a late start on Friday so I did not set up HF until Saturday. Didn't make as many contacts as I normally do with all the QSO parties going on but I did work on a couple of projects.
Got my solar panel hooked up and working unfortunately the sun was not out all that much but I have it working none the less.
I built a new feed point for my fan dipole with a 1:1 balun on it. This fixed a problem I was having in 40m with feed back from the antenna causing my radio to freak out.
I worked on building a cable to do HF digital but it didn't turn out as successful.

(photo is not from "deserted" camp ground)
IMG_20190504_175956.jpg
IMG_20190505_124559.jpg
IMG_20190504_180059.jpg

Last edited:

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Nice setup Jon! Did you fabricate the balun / feedpoint yourself? It looks clean. Nice camp spot as well! (try any fishing?)

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I did build it myself. I had planned on building one but hadn't really thought about what all I would need. I figured I had enough stuff with me to make it work at least as a concept to make sure it would work, but I ended up having everything I needed for it to turn out pretty well.
I put a lure in the water but was not successful, the lake was flooded and there was a lot of crap on that side of the lake. Buddy and I lost a couple of lures.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Now that I have a little better internet (I am back home, sitting at work actually) the toroid is a FT240-43 with RG58U coax. Wrapped 4 times on one side, then crossed over with 4 wraps on the other side so that the IN and OUT are on opposite ends.
I had actually made the plexiglass piece for another guy that was coming that was interested in making a dipole, but it ended up that he has already made it and just needed it tuned so it worked out well that I had that part extra.

I will throw in one more obligatory radio night shot from this last weekend.
camp2019c.jpg

Last edited:

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Now that I have a little better internet (I am back home, sitting at work actually) the toroid is a FT240-43 with RG58U coax. Wrapped 4 times on one side, then crossed over with 4 wraps on the other side so that the IN and OUT are on opposite ends.
I had actually made the plexiglass piece for another guy that was coming that was interested in making a dipole, but it ended up that he has already made it and just needed it tuned so it worked out well that I had that part extra.

I will throw in one more obligatory radio night shot from this last weekend.
Looks like a fantastic camp. The photo says it all.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
That looks like a fun setup, @Prerunner1982! I was out in the middle of the high desert grasslands this weekend working the 7th Call Area QSO Party!

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I was out in the middle of the high desert grasslands this weekend working the 7th Call Area QSO Party!
How did you do?
I maybe made 20 contacts, but there were 2 other guys with me also working HF so we had to take turns. I was really working on projects so I only made contacts here and there.
Are you going to do Field Day? I was planning on going to the "mountains" in SE Oklahoma but with some things that have come up I will likely do it from my yard (5 acres) and run off battery/solar.

Reactions: brien

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Greetings and Salutations!
I'll be your net control again this evening. Tonight we are talking about recovery gear. What top items are 'don't leave home without' vs. nice to have? This is an area I know almost nothing about so looking forward to what folks carry with them.
As always, all amateur radio operators are welcome and encouraged to check in.
Hope to catch you on the net. 73 - Ed N7PHY

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
How did you do?
I maybe made 20 contacts, but there were 2 other guys with me also working HF so we had to take turns. I was really working on projects so I only made contacts here and there.
Are you going to do Field Day? I was planning on going to the "mountains" in SE Oklahoma but with some things that have come up I will likely do it from my yard (5 acres) and run off battery/solar.
We did OK. I only operated a little bit, as I was mentoring the University of Arizona Amateur Radio Club, K7UAZ. I tried to give the four students that attended the most air time. We ended up with 1 CW contact, 28 digi and 54 SSB covering 27 states. I think our point total was something like 6021. Last year it was only me and one other guy operating QRP and we only got about 20 QSOs, so i'm very excited about our success this year (although we ran 100W this year)

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
How did you do?
Oh, and yes, I'll be operating for Field Day again this year. I'll be once again helping with the University of Arizona club, but I plan on operating a whole bunch this time. The students are gonna have to fight me for radio access once 40 opens up. I'm planning on operating CW-only, so it should be fairly terrifying.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I posted a thread asking for info on how to get on EchoLink from a 2m radio. If anybody could answer a couple of questions, it would be appreciated.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
I posted a thread asking for info on how to get on EchoLink from a 2m radio. If anybody could answer a couple of questions, it would be appreciated.

That's a good question @old_man and a bridge I have not crossed yet. Maybe someone following this thread can jump in.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everybody who participates in our weekly Friday evening nets. You make this a remarkable resource and this evenings net was no exception. Below are my notes from the discussion. Feel free to continue the conversation or start something new.

We are in need of volunteers to help facilitate as net-control. If your thinking about joining us, please reach out to myself or one of the other coordinators. It's not difficult and is a great way to hone the communication skills.

Thanks again everybody. Hope to catch you next week on the net!
Ed - N7PHY
--... ...--

Date: May 10, 2019
Topic: Recovery gear; if you had to choose 2 or 3 pieces of gear what would they be?

Announcements: KJ7BHN – Brent – Thank you everyone for participating. Announcing some changes to topics schedule. First Friday every month we’ll continue the ‘ham radio basics’ topic. Remaining Fridays we will continue to cover other topics as well as open topic nets. Some of the topics coming up; Baja travel, snorkels, portable antennas, maintenance items and tools.

Check ins:
KE0VJR Old Man
K7XPO Brien 3553 Tucson AZ
WX5SKY Jon 16247 OK City
WD6TED Ted San Diego
K5TIN Shane 12189 Prairie View LA
KM4KPV David Lexington KY
KM4GHN Mitch 17426
KJ7BHN Brent 13675 Packwood WA
NB9D Neil Paris ME
W8ILL Will MI
KM4MCM Georgia

Old Man grew up on farm and likes this topic. Lots of heavy-duty rock crawling. Key is, recovery depends upon what your doing and where you are at. Have never used max tracks. #1 item for me is tow strap followed by shovel. Farm jack handy but dangerous. Had a ranch with hired hands, have seen injuries by using incorrectly. Carry a winch but not integrated to vehicle. Run 2 inch receiver in front and rear to mount winch. Used for own vehicle once but often for others. Recommend synthetic line.
Safety. Most important point – if you don’t have good recovery points, you don’t get to run trail with the group. Have seen bumpers ripped off etc. Get something beefy enough to handle load. No hooks on chains, etc. Always use shackles. Two different kinds of straps – tow straps. Kinetic straps. Can get a run with kinetic (snap). Avoid cheap hardware, straps. Min 20000 lbs on straps. Love input on tire plugs. Carry extra old school inner-tube for inside tire if it gets too bad. Key is to be safe. Tire chains are another piece of recovery gear. Thinking about starting up a recovery discussion on the OB forum.

Brien. As for recovery gear. Carry high lift jack, 2 recovery mats tracks, strap (2), shackles. Never gotten stuck where I couldn’t get out with that equipment. Tend to stay out of situations where we get stuck as much as possible. Take extreme driving slowly and use spotters. Have used the high lift jack once when high centered. Carry a winch line dampener to make winch use safer. Weighted blanket laid over center of winch line. Weighs around 15 pounds. Anything to provide enough weight to drop line instead of whipping line if breaks.
Speaking of using shackles with straps during recovery. Incredibly dangerous using metal D shackles with kinetic strap, ok with tow strap. Soft shackle ok for snap strap. (another item to add to list)

Jon. Recovered quite a few vehicles. Use a chain as in military while driving a wrecker. Important to take up tension, not shock load. High lift can be used as winch if you don’t have one.

Ted – Depends on what your doing. Not a bolder hopper. #1 is tow strap. Have a winch, with blanket. Depend on tow strap rather than winch most of the time. Carry shovel. Cary high lift but have not used. Carry max straps. Winch is not hook, but shackle.

Shane – have clay in the south (gumbo mud). Have had chains break. Carry two recovery straps and one shackle stays on hitch. Shovel and recovery boards. Looked into winch but not wanting to put more weight on 4 Runner.

David – always used various sized wooden blocks, tow strap, chain, hi lift jack, shovel. Blocks used to place under wheel while jacked up. Can use for jack or block axle. Also added a $20 dollar bicycle pump which has been handy.

Mitch – Had fj cruisers. Snatch strap #1, shackle, chain, high lift. No winch. Vital tool is communication – ham radio and cell phone. Carry over sized snap strap. Onboard air is also always carried. Good Stihl chain saw as well.

Brent – One piece of equip is important – compressor and tire plug set and know how to use it. Went to a class where sidewall was ripped 6”, used plugs to stick and plug to repair. Have winch on jeep and EC, have never used it. Synth line. Much rather have toe strap.

NB9D Neil. Delighted to participate and thank you Will for providing the platform to operate.

W8ILL - Will – working on fan antenna, 75,40,20,10. Working on old F350 truck as well. Watch tools and don’t use hooks. Bought straps for tree trimming, hold much (10k lbs). Safer than chain.

KM4MCM – came down to moms house for mother’s day. From S. Georgia. Recovery done with ATVs and 4 wheelers due to deep water. Use little winches and snap straps. Dad in lumber biz, able to obtain lengthy straps. Used high lift jack and come along a bunch. Sometimes hard to get someone to snatch out, must do own recovery. One more thing that saved our bacon with trucks, bailing Wire. Can stitch tire back together for example. Like duct tape but more useful for emergency applications. Inner tube can be used to patch holes like drain plug ripped out of gas tank.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Thank you everybody who participates in our weekly Friday evening nets. You make this a remarkable resource and this evenings net was no exception. Below are my notes from the discussion. Feel free to continue the conversation or start something new.

We are in need of volunteers to help facilitate as net-control. If your thinking about joining us, please reach out to myself or one of the other coordinators. It's not difficult and is a great way to hone the communication skills.

Thanks again everybody. Hope to catch you next week on the net!
Ed - N7PHY
--... ...--

Date: May 10, 2019
Topic: Recovery gear; if you had to choose 2 or 3 pieces of gear what would they be?

Announcements: KJ7BHN – Brent – Thank you everyone for participating. Announcing some changes to topics schedule. First Friday every month we’ll continue the ‘ham radio basics’ topic. Remaining Fridays we will continue to cover other topics as well as open topic nets. Some of the topics coming up; Baja travel, snorkels, portable antennas, maintenance items and tools.

Check ins:
KE0VJR Old Man
K7XPO Brien 3553 Tucson AZ
WX5SKY Jon 16247 OK City
WD6TED Ted San Diego
K5TIN Shane 12189 Prairie View LA
KM4KPV David Lexington KY
KM4GHN Mitch 17426
KJ7BHN Brent 13675 Packwood WA
NB9D Neil Paris ME
W8ILL Will MI
KM4MCM Georgia

Old Man grew up on farm and likes this topic. Lots of heavy-duty rock crawling. Key is, recovery depends upon what your doing and where you are at. Have never used max tracks. #1 item for me is tow strap followed by shovel. Farm jack handy but dangerous. Had a ranch with hired hands, have seen injuries by using incorrectly. Carry a winch but not integrated to vehicle. Run 2 inch receiver in front and rear to mount winch. Used for own vehicle once but often for others. Recommend synthetic line.
Safety. Most important point – if you don’t have good recovery points, you don’t get to run trail with the group. Have seen bumpers ripped off etc. Get something beefy enough to handle load. No hooks on chains, etc. Always use shackles. Two different kinds of straps – tow straps. Kinetic straps. Can get a run with kinetic (snap). Avoid cheap hardware, straps. Min 20000 lbs on straps. Love input on tire plugs. Carry extra old school inner-tube for inside tire if it gets too bad. Key is to be safe. Tire chains are another piece of recovery gear. Thinking about starting up a recovery discussion on the OB forum.

Brien. As for recovery gear. Carry high lift jack, 2 recovery mats tracks, strap (2), shackles. Never gotten stuck where I couldn’t get out with that equipment. Tend to stay out of situations where we get stuck as much as possible. Take extreme driving slowly and use spotters. Have used the high lift jack once when high centered. Carry a winch line dampener to make winch use safer. Weighted blanket laid over center of winch line. Weighs around 15 pounds. Anything to provide enough weight to drop line instead of whipping line if breaks.
Speaking of using shackles with straps during recovery. Incredibly dangerous using metal D shackles with kinetic strap, ok with tow strap. Soft shackle ok for snap strap. (another item to add to list)

Jon. Recovered quite a few vehicles. Use a chain as in military while driving a wrecker. Important to take up tension, not shock load. High lift can be used as winch if you don’t have one.

Ted – Depends on what your doing. Not a bolder hopper. #1 is tow strap. Have a winch, with blanket. Depend on tow strap rather than winch most of the time. Carry shovel. Cary high lift but have not used. Carry max straps. Winch is not hook, but shackle.

Shane – have clay in the south (gumbo mud). Have had chains break. Carry two recovery straps and one shackle stays on hitch. Shovel and recovery boards. Looked into winch but not wanting to put more weight on 4 Runner.

David – always used various sized wooden blocks, tow strap, chain, hi lift jack, shovel. Blocks used to place under wheel while jacked up. Can use for jack or block axle. Also added a $20 dollar bicycle pump which has been handy.

Mitch – Had fj cruisers. Snatch strap #1, shackle, chain, high lift. No winch. Vital tool is communication – ham radio and cell phone. Carry over sized snap strap. Onboard air is also always carried. Good Stihl chain saw as well.

Brent – One piece of equip is important – compressor and tire plug set and know how to use it. Went to a class where sidewall was ripped 6”, used plugs to stick and plug to repair. Have winch on jeep and EC, have never used it. Synth line. Much rather have toe strap.

NB9D Neil. Delighted to participate and thank you Will for providing the platform to operate.

W8ILL - Will – working on fan antenna, 75,40,20,10. Working on old F350 truck as well. Watch tools and don’t use hooks. Bought straps for tree trimming, hold much (10k lbs). Safer than chain.

KM4MCM – came down to moms house for mother’s day. From S. Georgia. Recovery done with ATVs and 4 wheelers due to deep water. Use little winches and snap straps. Dad in lumber biz, able to obtain lengthy straps. Used high lift jack and come along a bunch. Sometimes hard to get someone to snatch out, must do own recovery. One more thing that saved our bacon with trucks, bailing Wire. Can stitch tire back together for example. Like duct tape but more useful for emergency applications. Inner tube can be used to patch holes like drain plug ripped out of gas tank.
Having the check-ins as a it's own section in the notes, separate from the details for each person, is great. Good idea!

Reactions: 12poundtest

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I had 2030 on my calendar and added 3 hours again. Oops, there I was at 2330 wondering why no one was talking :tearsofjoy:

At the very least, I know now that I can get connected via DMR or Echolink. Tested both and will be there at 1730PST next week.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
FYI, as of today, I finally got my vanity call sign issued from the FCC, so I'll no longer be KN4UBI. :smile:

As the driver of a Subaru Forester, I'm now the proud owner of:

W4FOZ
FYI, as of today, I finally got my vanity call sign issued from the FCC, so I'll no longer be KN4UBI. :smile:

As the driver of a Subaru Forester, I'm now the proud owner of:

W4FOZ
How long did it take the FCC to grant yours from the time you filled out the application? I did mine two weeks ago.