First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello fellow overlanding HAM's.
For tomorrow evenings net we will be back on an overlanding adventure topic; Death Valley. I've never been so am very interested in everyone's stories. Maybe we'll learn about moving rocks, tea kettles, or some other intriguing facet of the area. (?)
I encourage all licensed amateur radio operators to join. Regardless of the discussion topic, it's a great opportunity to validate the radio/pc setup and stay connected to the group. If you are not a licensed amateur radio operator but would like to listen in, check out the web link below. Then, consider joining the ranks. It's not terribly difficult to obtain the FCC license and really opens up your communication options while wheeling in the wild places. There is a wealth of information out there to help get a person started; feel free to post any questions here or in the HAM radio check-in thread.

Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Hope to hear everyone tomorrow evening. 73 - Ed

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Were you in a bad mood last week Jon?
I am not sure if that is sarcasm.... :smirk: but yes I was a little grumpy. Had been a long couple of weeks, multiple vehicle problems, some more in-depth than other, health issues with the wife, kids, etc.... all starting to wear on me.

By the way, thank you for the WX spotter training info. It's super interesting. Maybe a net topic some week?
No problem, WX can play an important part in Overlanding especially in tornado alley. I think being able to look at a severe thunderstorm and know where the safest place to go is good knowledge to have. Some clouds look scary but really aren't. WX has long been an interest of mine, I initially became a licensed ham to facilitate my off roading adventures but saw the opportunity to tie in another hobby to it all and started studying taking the Skywarn classes and studying up. Jeep, ham radio, and weather all in one activity.

Reactions: TerryD

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Didn't intend the sarcasm though that is my usual mode of communication. Sorry to hear about the health woes, that does wear a guy down. Hang in there.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello everyone.
Thank you everyone who checked-in or listened in via the web link. Below are my notes from tonight's net. This was honestly one of my favorites! We had 13 check-ins, many connecting through a repeater in Roanoke VA. Tonight’s discussion about Death Valley sparked a lot of ideas for different remote travel locations and plans for future trips. Also, the solid connection with the Roanoke repeater brought in several first time check-ins.

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone again next week.

73 – Ed, N7PHY

Date: April 05, 2019
Net Control: Ed – N7PHY
Topic: Death Valley

Emergency Traffic: None

Announcements: From KJ7BHN - Welcome repeater check-ins. Topic is Death Valley, but VA repeater check-ins please add anything you'd like to discuss. Also please suggest future topics through the forum or direct to Brent.

Check-ins:
AB5JK – Jimi - Mobile no traffic. Have a good weekend and be safe. Mobile in TX - driving to Belton TX hamfest.

W8ILL – Will – Mobile – Michigan - No traffic, wishes everyone a good time on the net tonight.

KT4OZ – Terry – Mobile – VA - Repeater check-in.
Mobile. Picked up kid and working around house. Death Valley on the list of places I want to visit. Quite a trip from here. Destination at this end is Linville gorge in NC near Ashville. Grand Canyon of the east coast. (?) Intended to go last year but wx conspired against the plan. Comment - pictures of my xtera hung up on fox mt jeep trail. Good destination of more challenging trails.

AD4HG – Josh – Myrtle Beach FL – Stumbled into our net accidentally (but welcome anyway). No traffic.

KJ7BHN – Brent – Packwood WA – 13675
Was in DV in January. First time there. Struck me how big and remote the place is. Variety of desert, peaks, etc. Could go a week at a time for many years without seeing anything. Plan to visit each winter for a week on treks down. Visited crater and canyon. Has not seen the tea kettles or moving rocks but did trek up a canyon (17 miles). Saw Scotty's Castle on map but road was closed. Think it's up for auction ($7M?). Was close to canyon. Off topic - Maybe have a topic in future - how to setup repeater to connect to EchoLink.

KM4GHN – Mitch – VA – 17426 – Repeater check-in.
Checking in via 146.745 Repeater. Have not been to DV. Casual 4-wheeler and been to CA. Likes to wander off the beaten path. Don't forget the east coast though, a lot of great places to explore here.

KE8LIW – Steve – West Virginia – Repeater check-in.
WV check-in in over repeater. Kenton VA. Last time in DV was late 80s. Remembers flat and hot. May not make it west but lots to see out east. Live on farm and have 6-wheel Polaris. Often knee deep in mud to get into feeders.

NB9D – Neil – Paris ME – Off Grid - Paris Maine. Loves the topic and has fascination with DV. Area 51 and atomic craters, place of myth, lore, and legend. Amazing place; can be >100 deg but you need chains in higher elevations. Checking out DV with APRS. Been there and it's beautiful. Check out Neil’s QRZ page if interested in his operation in ME.

K5TIN – Shane – LA – 12189
LA. Have not been to DV but on bucket list. Maybe next long vacation. One question; has anybody heard from Brien who's been there recently? Picking up ideas from VA/WV check-ins for east coast adventures.

WX5SKY – Jon – OK
Little busy tonight. Talked to Brien tonight but not about the net. Moving rocks across desert is called race track. (?) Have not been to DV yet. Big bend in SW Texas is closest we have out here. Pretty desolate. On a similar note; gentleman in Tx has driven circumference of state and putting together videos. Texas backroad borders is the title.

KF4YLM – Josh – Roanoke VA – Repeater check-in.
Roanoke VA. Death Valley - furthest west I've been is Las Vegas. Missing national broadcaster’s conv this week but not going. Was in desert in 2003. Appreciate stories of desert and DV. Putting in plug for Craig county trails. Potts mountain jeep trail. In midst of repeater modification for repeater. Q for Brent - did you prepare differently for DV? (answer was no - earth cruiser is prepared at all times) Did motivate me to upgrade license to have HF. Could not hit repeaters for much of the trip.

W4OW – David – VA – Repeater check-in.
Roanoke VA repeater check in. Death Valley, last time there early 2000s. Stayed at Scotty's Castle. (?) Was stationed in military near there learning about low freq. Rainy day in Roanoke. Hoping Josh got tomato plants planted.

KN4QMN – Jason – VA – Repeater check-in.
VA repeater check in. Never been to DV but has been on different off-road trails in WV. Like 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. Go a lot in the summer. Place near Sophia WV to ride dirt bikes. Opened new park near border to camp and ride 4 wheelers/bikes.

Reactions: TerryD

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Making a correction to the net notes. AD4HG is Fred checking in from Virginia. My apologies Fred and hope you check in again.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Good evening everyone.
Tonight's net kicks off in about an hour and it's 'open topic' night. We'd love to have you check in with your comments, questions, or just to say hello.

Net details:

Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen in here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

73 - Ed

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks for the net! Don't have capable RF gear to get on but learned from another poster here about the Echolink phone app. Was able to check in and listen for a bit before the boss called me to dinner. I don't normally do any voice work but enjoy APRS. Would enjoy any pointers to net etiquette/rules/etc. and what kind of radios you all use. Have a great weekend! KD7UBJ

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thanks for the net! Don't have capable RF gear to get on but learned from another poster here about the Echolink phone app. Was able to check in and listen for a bit before the boss called me to dinner. I don't normally do any voice work but enjoy APRS. Would enjoy any pointers to net etiquette/rules/etc. and what kind of radios you all use. Have a great weekend! KD7UBJ
Hey Greg. Thank you for checking in tonight. I'm sorry we didn't get to you a bit earlier in the rounds but am glad you joined. Though it's a formally directed net, it's not a formal net. We check folks in in alphabetical order (first letter of call sign suffix), make announcements, then give everyone a chance to chime in on the topic or whatever is on their mind. It's ok to just say 'no traffic' but much more fun to hear what you are up to.
Most of us check in via the internet/EchoLink. But there is a growing contingency of folks checking in through a linked repeater in Virginia.
Anyway, glad you were able to make it tonight.
Ed - N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Greetings! We had another great net tonight. Really enjoy catching up with everybody and especially welcome our first-time check-ins. Firsts for tonight are an Australia check-in (VK2DY) and first net participation while walking a dog. As mentioned in the announcements, we are looking for net topic suggestions. Feel free to comment in this thread or ping our coordinator, KJ7BHN Brent.

Thank you to everyone who joined or listened in. Looking forward to meeting up with everyone again next week.

73 – Ed, N7PHY

Date: April 12, 2019
Net Control: Ed – N7PHY
Topic: Open

Emergency Traffic: None

Announcements: From KJ7BHN our net coordinator - Welcome everybody and thank you for your support. Open topic tonight. Asking for ideas for future topics. Going to throw out the topic of NVIS (near vertical incidence skywave) antennas, how it works, and any experience with it.

Check-ins:

KT4OZ – Terry – Mobile over repeater. Getting ready for an OB meetup tomorrow. Playing with aprs setup today. Check Jons writeup on forum. Have another ham in truck tonight talking lithium and solar setups. Check Virginia ARES website for writeups on NVIS setups. Good topics and information. Congrats to Jon with new position in the group. Getting up early in the morning for trip, may try to get on hf later tonight but expecting thunderstorms. 73 everybody.

KJ7EXK – Dana – Mobile. Not quite spring here yet but ready for spring. Still working for a few more weeks then heading south to Utah. No news otherwise - good evening everybody.

W8ILL – Will – Good evening and good net. Been busy, had to get groceries. Cold wind tonight.

KJ7BHN – Brent – Olympia WA. Just want to throw out there - if anyone is interested in AirSpy SDR, I have it hooked up to IC7300 and it's impressive. Can hear things that I can't hear on IC7300. Waiting for better weather and heading to flagstaff in a month. Just wanted to add, we'll be playing with HF after the net. Doing some research on NVIS. Have new topics written down.

KM4GHN – Mitch – VA Repeater check-in. Casual these days with off-roading and radio. Just like to say thanks - ham radio license good to have out hiking etc. good for trail comms and emergency’s and when cells don't work.

VE1PS – Peter – Halifax NS Canada. Halifax NS Canada. Logging in for the first time. Following threads and found Friday net on forum. Hope to check in more often and meet up with OB members. Not much overlanding but does get out tenting, etc. Ham for 20 yrs this month. Liking to m merge the two. Had to transit cell app while walking the dog. (maybe our first dog walk check-in)

NB9D – Neil – Paris ME. Internet problems - internet fixed 2nd round. Amateur radio the only thing working reliably off grid. Hoping to get a hotspot up there at some point. Shout out to Will W8ILL for providing home for the OB net. Thanks for bearing with us with satellite problems. Every day is a field day out here. (off grid)

WD6TED – Ted – San Diego CA. Been a few weeks - track field coach at H.S. with 200 athletes. Not been doing any overlanding but would like to. Spring in desert is beautiful. Spring break so able to join tonight. Setup portable hf in yard. Did just order rear bumper for 4 runner with swing arm. 5 month lead time.

K7XPO – Brien - Tucson Az - heading to Mexico next week. Middle of senora pop 2000. Preparing for first fox hunt 5/11. Call out WS5SKy Jon is now an OB member representative. In a couple of weeks, 5/4, 7th area call sign qso party. Point to gather county’s or external 7 contacts. Call out topic idea - overlanding in Mexico. Interesting thing and Brien has information.

KI7RAM – Bill – Reno NV. reno - heading to overland expo in a couple weeks. Saw a topic on OB website - wonder why folks don't rent equipment. Maybe should be a thread for people to offer equip for rental. Glad spring is here - able to sit in hot springs hot tub.

K5TIN – Shane – LA. Good evening. Anybody wishing to give a hand with net control give us a shout. Talking about airspy sdr, we’ve been trying to hook up on hf but not yet successful. Will try again later tonight.

WX5SKY – Jon – OK. Just picked up rig parts. Getting engine back together in jeep. 3 weeks to annual ham radio camping trip. 7th area qso party matches with camping trip, on purpose to make contacts. Ready to get back on HF.

KF4YLM – Josh – VA Repeater check-in. (member of repeater owner group) Scratchy copy through repeater at first. 4/17-18 look for short form contest. Will be mobile on next round. Topic of NVIS - 40 and 80m best. Horizontal and low to the ground probably best (10 - 15' up). 160m also nice for NVIS but suffers just as much during the middle of the day. Low antennas is key.

VK2DY – Robert – (first Australia net check-in) Lunch time in Sidney. Located … ridge near Sidney. Ham for 29 years and done off-road things at diff times. See Australia on OB site have done some outback off-roading. Would carry a sat phone deep in the outback.

KD7UBJ – Greg – Seattle WA. First time checking into net. Had to run before we got to Greg, my apologies. Hope you check in again! (Ed)

KS4KLM – Kevin – VA Repeater check-in. Enjoying net. ATV enthusiast. Will try to check in each week. 73 3everyone.

KN4PDL – Patrick – VA Repeater check-in. Unfortunately, too scratchy to copy. Hope Patrick can check in again.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Greg,

Welcome to the NET. We don't care how you connect and what you use. You did fine on the etiquette and you will pick up some of the terms and rules per say as you listen and attend. Ask any questions you need. I use a Yaesu FT70 handheld and FTM 400 and FT 857 along with a Icom 7300 and Airpsy HF+. Why all the radios? The HT is for hiking and mobile when outside the EC. The 400 has APRS and I use it to connect to repeaters and track my EC when out and about. I just got the 857 for SOTA and the Icom and Airspy are at the home shack. Again, welcome and glad you checked in.

Brent KJ7BHN

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks for the warm welcome!

@Brentc17 - thanks for the radio rundown! I don't have any of the fancy new-fangled digital mode radios; have a few APRS mobile/HTs that have served me well over the years. Though something shiny and new with a built in GPS and digital modes would be fun! Have a lot of Jeep upgrades to save for first ;)

@12poundtest - thank you! Nice looking fish! I am actually in Sammamish and have spent a lot of time on the Sound up near B'Ham / Lummi Island fishing for salmon, ling, cabezon and dungeness.

Looks like we are all local to the PNW - I'm waiting for the snow to melt up on Snoqualmie pass and want to go hit part of the WABDR. Gots freshwater fishing gear perma-mounted in the Jeep... Let me know if you all are looking for someone to go hit a few dusty roads with. Want to get my son out camping real soon now.

Have a great weekend! I think it is supposed to rain this weekend and I'm feeling motivated to continue cleaning my messes up in the shop/shack - maybe I'll get a radio running out there again. I ran an APRS igate for years on both the 9600 and 1200 baud networks and did fill in to the North and East of my location. Maybe its time to get that up and running again ;)

Too many hobbies... Kids have a way of putting a dent into your wallet and free time! Hahahaha.
Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: 12poundtest