Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Ugh ive got em running out my ears and still i often hunt for one [emoji19]

The favorites:

My pelican 7060 tactical flashlight.

uploadfromtaptalk1450886672016.jpg

8.5 inches of wicked bright, water proof, nearly indestructible badassery....

This light was either on my vest or attached to my weapon my entire enlistment. It was a brand new concept and design in 2007 when I enlisted my dad got it for me as a departing gift and said "if you're going to face the darkest of men in the darkest of places you are going to need a good flashlight." It is my go to flashlight for good reason it was always there at the worst times in the worst places imaginable.

I have literally strapped this flashlight to a M240B and or an M2B while mounted in a gun turret on a vehicle because if i can see it, i can hit it....seeing was surviving. Thank you pelican!

To sum this up the light is 9 years old and i have never had a problem never replaced any parts and have left it off of the charger 6 months at a time they never got less than an hour use out of it..... impressive isn't even the word.

Moving on......

Pelican 2020 saberlight Recoil

uploadfromtaptalk1450886427806.jpg seemingly endless battery life and good working light. Its my go to for backpacking, it's kind of a flood beam light it puts out a lot of light but not very far just right for searching for something that's lost or watching just in front of you while you walk... unlike the 7060 which can be used to usher in airliners if you had to.....

Pelican 2010 saberlight

uploadfromtaptalk1450886511577.jpg
Long range, amazingly long battery life, this was my go to light for the go bag. Also Submersible.

And recently my manager awarded a few with this little critter... it lives in my door pocket.

uploadfromtaptalk1450887096260.jpg
The NEBO SLYDE.

It is almost as bright as my 7060 tactical flashlight from Pelican has great reach and the magnetic base is strong enough to hold it when its fully extended has a work light and you can adjust it in out or twisted while it is magnetically attached that magnet is really stout it is only water resistant however..... so I have not risk any submergence.

This surefire was an end of deployment gift from a commanding officer. uploadfromtaptalk1450887357611.jpg

It was attached to my garrison duty weapon (M4). Though it is wicked bright I much prefer the LED Pelican 7060 for battery life wighter light and cooler running temp
..... that sure fire will burn you

This little fella! Mine is off brand but identicle.... Its under the barrel of an undisclosed weapon in an undisclosed location that I currently use in self defense should need arise.

uploadfromtaptalk1450887568859.jpg

I've also got the mile long 10 pound D battery eating maglight that you could beat someone to death with.... but those have been around since Christ was a cowboy and I feel no need to go into detail.

This is only the beginning... im kind of a flashlight guy... so as I run across my various different light sources I will add them to the list please add to this I think it will be helpful to others when the Sun Goes Down and the s*** hit the fan.... on the trail or off of the trail

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: montyPR

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

I'm a Fenix guy myself, and there is a good chance that Santa will be putting a new PD35 under the tree for me in a few days..

I've got an LD22 in the truck,

and have bought all my relatives E41 models last Christmas.

Reactions: Flipper

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I'm a Fenix guy myself, and there is a good chance that Santa will be putting a new PD35 under the tree for me in a few days..

I've got an LD22 in the truck,

and have bought all my relatives E41 models last Christmas.
I have been ogling at those on the internet for some time I think I'm going to get one.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Yes, a good flashlight can be quite impressive. I too came from a history of maglites and these LEDs are not the same animal.
Sitting around the campfire last summer my brother in law pulled out one of these bulb monsters;

My little LD22 threw brighter and farther..

Reactions: Flipper

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have plenty of old Mini-Maglites, which I never use any more. As well as the 20+ year old 5-cell D Maglight in belt holster that makes a great baton, but lousy light. And I have a couple old SureFire non-LED lights from when they were the only real option in a tactical style light. But like @vicali, once I bought a Fenix LED light, all the others went into the bottomless "stuff" drawer in the garage.

I have two Fenix E01 (one AAA) lights, but I wouldn't recommend them. Not very bright, sorta blue, and not focused. They are more a purse light, and Deb has them in her purse and car. I have two Fenix LD01 (one AAA lights), and these are my EDC light. And I have a Fenix LD10 (one AA) and a Fenix LD20 (two AA.) These have been replaced in the current Fenix lineup with the E05, LD02, LD12, and LD22.

At some point, I'd like to add the above Fenix E41 (four AA) lights for the extended range.

I also have four Petzl Tikka 100 head lamps (three AAA) and a Black Diamond Apollo LED lantern (four AA.)

Note that all of the above lights are either AA or AAA battery powered. Over the past several years, I have converted all of the battery powered devices I own (where possible) to use AA or AAA sized batteries. I have 80+ AA and 50+ AAA Sanyo Eneloop pre-charged Ni-MH rechargeable batteries, and Ambient Weather BC-2000 and BC-3000 chargers to use with them. (I received both Ambient Weather chargers free in exchange for a fair, unbiased review on Amazon.) I only use alkaline AA or AAA batteries outside in the winter where the Ni-MH would quickly lose their charge. This greatly simplifies my battery storage, consumption, and over time, cost. I can charge while traveling using my AC converter, and one day I'll add solar charging as an option.

Reactions: deeker

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Yes, a good flashlight can be quite impressive. I too came from a history of maglites and these LEDs are not the same animal.
Sitting around the campfire last summer my brother in law pulled out one of these bulb monsters;

My little LD22 threw brighter and farther..
Haha! Awesome !

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I have plenty of old Mini-Maglites, which I never use any more. As well as the 20+ year old 5-cell D Maglight in belt holster that makes a great baton, but lousy light. And I have a couple old SureFire non-LED lights from when they were the only real option in a tactical style light. But like @vicali, once I bought a Fenix LED light, all the others went into the bottomless "stuff" drawer in the garage.

I have two Fenix E01 (one AAA) lights, but I wouldn't recommend them. Not very bright, sorta blue, and not focused. They are more a purse light, and Deb has them in her purse and car. I have two Fenix LD01 (one AAA lights), and these are my EDC light. And I have a Fenix LD10 (one AA) and a Fenix LD20 (two AA.) These have been replaced in the current Fenix lineup with the E05, LD02, LD12, and LD22.

At some point, I'd like to add the above Fenix E41 (four AA) lights for the extended range.

I also have four Petzl Tikka 100 head lamps (three AAA) and a Black Diamond Apollo LED lantern (four AA.)

Note that all of the above lights are either AA or AAA battery powered. Over the past several years, I have converted all of the battery powered devices I own (where possible) to use AA or AAA sized batteries. I have 80+ AA and 50+ AAA Sanyo Eneloop pre-charged Ni-MH rechargeable batteries, and Ambient Weather BC-2000 and BC-3000 chargers to use with them. (I received both Ambient Weather chargers free in exchange for a fair, unbiased review on Amazon.) I only use alkaline AA or AAA batteries outside in the winter where the Ni-MH would quickly lose their charge. This greatly simplifies my battery storage, consumption, and over time, cost. I can charge while traveling using my AC converter, and one day I'll add solar charging as an option.
Hmmm i will have to look into this! Great option for the long haul

The 7060 is a charged light.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@vicali OMG! That's like a theater spotlight! Mount that thing on your rack!

Off Topic...This is another thing I like about OB. Before I found it, I asked a question about flashlights on another popular site and I had all these responses of "if you need flashlight advice, maybe you shouldn't have picked this hobby" ...really turned me off.

Reactions: blackntan

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

@vicali OMG! That's like a theater spotlight! Mount that thing on your rack!

Off Topic...This is another thing I like about OB. Before I found it, I asked a question about flashlights on another popular site and I had all these responses of "if you need flashlight advice, maybe you shouldn't have picked this hobby" ...really turned me off.
I dont think thats going to happen here.

Just my guess... but if it did happen it wouldnt be good for the guy dishing it out.... lol

Reactions: SLO Rob

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Fenix PD35 on my right leg (3600 mAH 18650 powered)

Lumintop AAA clicky on my tshirt collar or flannel shirt lapel

Photon throwaway on my keychain (I have about 100 left of these Ive been giving them away for 10 years.

Couple of Maratac AAA's on the MOLLE seat covers, also a Maratac mini lantern

3D Maglite with Malkoff Devices dropin (10 years old now) under seat

Current Gen 3D LED Mag in the bed (Mag clips)

AA Minimag with Terralux LED dropin in minimag clips under the hood

There's more...

I've been a member of CandlePowerForums for over 10 years now!

Reactions: reidbailey

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

The '35 takes a serious beating...

It's powered by a single 18650 rechargeable lithium cell. Laptop batteries usually consist of about 6 of these shrinkwrapped together...

The LT sees mostly lip time (hands free) the clip is reversible for hat brim usage but it never goes back where I keep it without reversing it again

The Malkoff drop-in. It's almost 9 years old, I believe the LED was a Philips Luxeon...

Crappy photo, Mojo crawled into focus and he won't be around much longer, best to give him his 15 minutes of fame.

I only use lithium primary cells, even when a maglite calls for D cells. Lithium primaries won't leak out and wreck your light, last longer, handle higher current drain, and handle temperature extremes better. I only recommend RECHARGEABLE lithium's if you do your research fully and learn the dangers involved...

Last edited:
Reactions: reidbailey

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Fenix PD35 on my right leg (3600 mAH 18650 powered)

Lumintop AAA clicky on my tshirt collar or flannel shirt lapel

Photon throwaway on my keychain (I have about 100 left of these Ive been giving them away for 10 years.

Couple of Maratac AAA's on the MOLLE seat covers, also a Maratac mini lantern

3D Maglite with Malkoff Devices dropin (10 years old now) under seat

Current Gen 3D LED Mag in the bed (Mag clips)

AA Minimag with Terralux LED dropin in minimag clips under the hood

There's more...

I've been a member of CandlePowerForums for over 10 years now!
Candlepowerforums is a great resource, its where i learned that COB LED technology was the next winner winner chicken dinner. I love the NEBO light i got

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

images.jpg
This what I use for work. I'm on my second one as I left the other one in a customers car. These take a beating, pretty much a the standard in the shops I've worked at.
Battery life is pretty good and the charge quickly.

I also have a 6D maglite mounted in my truck, but like mentioned before it's more club then light.

I also have a bunch of those 3 pack led flashlights from costco.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

When I was a kid I saw the Maglite commercial where they drove over the flashlight with a semi truck, then you throw on the Made In America, I'm in love.

You could always opt for this though:

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I have a couple of LED Surefire G2's and an E2D left over from patrol. They use the same CR123A that my weapon lights (TLR-1) uses and my red dot. I like having common parts, especially with batteries since there are so many variations. My gripe is that my nice on sale headlamp uses AAA batteries, even though I have Surefire lights I'm not dropping the coin needed for their headlamp. Before they were a required purchase and was written off on my taxes, now it's just something nice to have. I carried the regular bulb E2D because it lit up dark rooms better, I carried the G2 it punched light through deep tint better (traffic stops at night). I also carried four extra batteries in a case in a cargo pocket and an extra bulb for the E2D in my patrol bag.

With that said, I've been very unkind to my lights and they have held up well, the E2D is a bit over 10 years old now, as is one of my G2s. You used to be able to pick them up cheap with sales on LA Police Gear. I picked up the G2s for around $30. One rides in the MOLLE webbing on my visor cover today.

image.jpg

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I have a couple of LED Surefire G2's and an E2D left over from patrol. They use the same CR123A that my weapon lights (TLR-1) uses and my red dot. I like having common parts, especially with batteries since there are so many variations. My gripe is that my nice on sale headlamp uses AAA batteries, even though I have Surefire lights I'm not dropping the coin needed for their headlamp. Before they were a required purchase and was written off on my taxes, now it's just something nice to have. I carried the regular bulb E2D because it lit up dark rooms better, I carried the G2 it punched light through deep tint better (traffic stops at night). I also carried four extra batteries in a case in a cargo pocket and an extra bulb for the E2D in my patrol bag.

With that said, I've been very unkind to my lights and they have held up well, the E2D is a bit over 10 years old now, as is one of my G2s. You used to be able to pick them up cheap with sales on LA Police Gear. I picked up the G2s for around $30. One rides in the MOLLE webbing on my visor cover today.

View attachment 1051
That van is bitchin

Reactions: WUzombies

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Back when I was a cool kid I used to test Tactical gear, guns, flashlights, vests, suppressors and other nfa goodies. I'm not an expert but I've spent thousands on dim surefires and streamlights and many many 4sevens and fenix lights. They're all good these days. It's really all a matter of how extreme you need it.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

It's true. 10 years ago 80 lumens was the benchmark. You get that on your keychain for under $10 these days.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Back when I was a cool kid I used to test Tactical gear, guns, flashlights, vests, suppressors and other nfa goodies. I'm not an expert but I've spent thousands on dim surefires and streamlights and many many 4sevens and fenix lights. They're all good these days. It's really all a matter of how extreme you need it.
Used to love toy time

Supply NCO passing things out "try this and lmk if its junk"