Flashlights

• HTML tutorial

Crutledge

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Jasper, Texas
Member #

I got to thinking about mounting a flashlight or two in my truck while Im building it and the question that keeps coming up in my head is which brand?

Ive always used streamlight around my shop as the go to flashlight. Im not sure if thats because the snapon man sells them and that just convenient for me or their actually a better light than whats out there. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

So I figured why not ask here. So which rechargeable flashlights do yall have in your rigs?

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Streamlight is hard to beat, I have one in all my vehicles. It's hard to beat the life time warranty, Ron

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

For high quality, reasonably priced LEDs, I use Fenix lights.

For lights I absolutely have to have work when I poke the button, I use SureFire.

[EDIT] Don't let the above dissuade anyone from Fenix. I have never had any of my five AA or AAA Fenix lights fail to work. The only one I've ever seen fail is my mother's who left a dead battery in so long it corroded the tail switch. Some aggressive cleaning solution and it now works most of the time.

My SureFire is weapon mounted. I want be sure it will withstand anything!

Last edited:

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’m a sure fire guy. I’ve used them for 20 years and never had a failure. EDC, weapons, and SAR gear, they just plain work. I also like the cr123 battery for its shelf life and resilience to cold.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I just noticed that the OP specified rechargeable lights, so all of our answers are null and void. ;)

I will note that every flashlight except my SureFire lights, as well as every other battery powered gizmo that I have, uses AA or AAA Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I have three chargers and probably 75 AA and 50 AAA batteries. I'll never need to feed that Energizer Bunny again!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I just noticed that the OP specified rechargeable lights, so all of our answers are null and void. ;)

I will note that every flashlight except my SureFire lights, as well as every other battery powered gizmo that I have, uses AA or AAA Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I have three chargers and probably 75 AA and 50 AAA batteries. I'll never need to feed that Energizer Bunny again!
Well it's back to the Evelyn Woods reading dynamics course for me....[emoji23][emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Steve

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I’m a first responder and have carried Fenix lights for a few years in extreme conditions and have never, ever been gentle on them. They have been solid and reliable. I use the 18650 rechargeable batteries and a separate charger and it works perfect; a better setup than internal rechargeables because you always have a couple fresh batteries ready to go. I currently carry the TK15 and recommend it.

Reactions: Nef

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I prefer the 18650 rechargeable batteries because you always have a fresh one ready to go. I’ve worked many midnight shifts with them and was never left with a dead light. And cr123 batteries are easy to find if all else fails. On backpacking trips, I carry a spare rechargeable or a couple cr123s and don’t need a charger. I don’t like built-in batteries because they are less versatile. But everyone has their own needs, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Jace Skyshark

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I prefer the 18650 rechargeable batteries because you always have a fresh one ready to go. I’ve worked many midnight shifts with them and was never left with a dead light. And cr123 batteries are easy to find if all else fails. On backpacking trips, I carry a spare rechargeable or a couple cr123s and don’t need a charger. I don’t like built-in batteries because they are less versatile. But everyone has their own needs, I guess.
That's why I settled on the Eneloop rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. They are the new pre-charged nickel–metal hydride batteries, and maintain 80% charge in a drawer after one year, and something like 60% after three. Not quite the life of a CR123, but cheaper, and rechargeable 2000 times. Plus, a cheap AA or AAA can be substituted if needed. And, like you, there's always a spare in my pocket.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have a ton of the Eneloop batteries for camera gear, lights, and whatever else needs AA or AAA. Love 'em to death, and like @Steve said, they hold their charge amazingly well over long periods of time. I keep a couple plastic 12 pack containers of each size with charged batteries. When used/discharged batteries go into the case I turn them opposite to the charged/fresh batteries so I can tell at a glance which ones need charging.

All that said, I'm super impressed now with the 18650 rechargeable li-ion battery in my Wowtac A1S Black Scout survival flashlight. Not a high end light, but plenty bright, durable, and the battery is awesome. You plug a micro-usb directly into the battery to recharge it.

For lights, I don't have extreme demands or working conditions so haven't been able to justify some of the more expensive lights. I've always liked Streamlight lights. I've had a Streamlight Microstream #66318 clipped inside my front jean pocket every day for the last five years or more. Use it every single day, too. I also have the Streamlight Pro-Tac 1L-1AA which is twice as big around and an inch longer, much much brighter, and is ten-tap programmable. Interesting feature, but one I bet most folk forget how to utilize fully.

And, just as a throwback of sorts and because it has saved my skin more than once (once even just to look threatening when approached by some dudes in an otherwise empty parking lot, 'cause it looks like it'd put a pretty good dent in someone's head), I keep a 4 D-Cell Maglite in my driver's door pocket.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I was just thinking that I need to step up my flashlight game.. Not that I buy junk but I have yet to be brand loyal at all, and have not moved to rechargeables, focusing more on value and redundancies. Usually my wife or I will buy a light or headlamp if we find something that's a really good deal. I do try to stick to lights that can use AA or AAA batteries, just because they are so readily available and I always keep spares stashed around, along with the lights. I probably have 4 lights, each with spare batteries, in the Jeep right now and take a couple more when camping (typically just headlamps though).

Going to have to check out those Eneloop batteries more closely, as they would appear to be perfect for my current system.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I have a ton of the Eneloop batteries for camera gear, lights, and whatever else needs AA or AAA. Love 'em to death, and like @Steve said, they hold their charge amazingly well over long periods of time. I keep a couple plastic 12 pack containers of each size with charged batteries. When used/discharged batteries go into the case I turn them opposite to the charged/fresh batteries so I can tell at a glance which ones need charging.

All that said, I'm super impressed now with the 18650 rechargeable li-ion battery in my Wowtac A1S Black Scout survival flashlight. Not a high end light, but plenty bright, durable, and the battery is awesome. You plug a micro-usb directly into the battery to recharge it.

For lights, I don't have extreme demands or working conditions so haven't been able to justify some of the more expensive lights. I've always liked Streamlight lights. I've had a Streamlight Microstream #66318 clipped inside my front jean pocket every day for the last five years or more. Use it every single day, too. I also have the Streamlight Pro-Tac 1L-1AA which is twice as big around and an inch longer, much much brighter, and is ten-tap programmable. Interesting feature, but one I bet most folk forget how to utilize fully.

And, just as a throwback of sorts and because it has saved my skin more than once (once even just to look threatening when approached bu some dudes in an otherwise empty parking lot, 'cause it looks like it'd put a pretty good dent in someone's head), I keep a 4 D-Cell Maglite in my driver's door pocket.
I agree with Road, the Eneloop have been a staple with me for several years now. Started using them for my Scuba strobes and moved on from there to other equipment.

Reactions: Road

goonerfan13

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fort Wayne Indiana
Member #

I've always had good luck with Maglite. Never had a problem, keep one or 2 in each vehicle. My dad was a Sheriff's Deputy growing up, so I have his old 3 D-cell mounted in my rig, and I upgraded the lamp to a Terralux LED. It's a great weapon as well! Maglite has rechargeables as well. Fenix and Streamlight are great flashlights as well.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Flashlight conversations are up there with ‘which oil do you use’, ‘Coke or Pepsi’, etc.. I’ve had a SureFire as an EDC for quite some time but anymore I buy Streamlight because it’s gotten increasingly difficult to tell the difference. All of my weapon lights are Streamlight anymore and to avoid the stockpile of CR123’s I run rechargeable 18650’s. All that said I still also keep a 3D LED Maglite within reach in the wagon.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

This depends... Size, weight, Life of the battery (single use time).

I have several LED's, and a few old school bulb. All work fine, All different makers. The one I like the most is big, Heavy, and costly. But that SOB will throw a beam like you would not believe.. this is in my work truck,. A "Streamlight Firebox". This had a standard halogen lite head till I switched it out to the LED head. Battery runs longer and the you can either set it up for low or high power. This thing is AC/DC chargeable. Also, the head is moveable.
I'm a lineman. so I do work at night in crap weather.

Check it out... New version here. https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/e-spot-firebox-vehicle-mount-system

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
This depends... Size, weight, Life of the battery (single use time).

I have several LED's, and a few old school bulb. All work fine, All different makers. The one I like the most is big, Heavy, and costly. But that SOB will throw a beam like you would not believe.. this is in my work truck,. A "Streamlight Firebox". This had a standard halogen lite head till I switched it out to the LED head. Battery runs longer and the you can either set it up for low or high power. This thing is AC/DC chargeable. Also, the head is moveable.
I'm a lineman. so I do work at night in crap weather.

Check it out... New version here. https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/e-spot-firebox-vehicle-mount-system
We have Fireboxes mounted in our Interceptors and that thing is impressive but like you said it all comes down to individual needs/wants. The market for flashlights certainly supports choice through an insane amount of options.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Fenix usb rechargeable all the way. Ive been using the UC40 at work for quite a while. I have a few different lights and I haven't been able to kill any of theirs yet. Go to their website and filter for rechargeable. I'm converting all my travel gear to rechargeable.

Scott