Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@Paulo Filho

To build on @bencleveland post: Get in touch with @Kent R He is the OB Ambassador for the West Region. Check out https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/west-region-news-events-q-a.159/ for anything posted in your area.

So far My experience here on OB has been that folks will go out of their way to help you get out and explore.
There are not any meet-ups currently close to you in South San Francisco but we are working on a meet-up down the peninsula and that should happen sometime this year. I just need to get some time to do it.
Like I said in the other post message me @Kent R if you have any questions.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
There are not any meet-ups currently close to you in South San Francisco but we are working on a meet-up down the peninsula and that should happen sometime this year. I just need to get some time to do it.

Reactions: Paulo Filho

Paulo Filho

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Francisco
First Name
Paulo
Last Name
Filho
Member #

Kent,

Thanks! Currently I’m doing some research on a rig to buy. In between a Toyota cruiser Or a 4Runner. I guess which ever one is most taken care of and 4x4.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Keep an eye out for a msg on the forum about a meet-up

Reactions: Paulo Filho

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
You don’t need a rig to got to a meet-up

ClevelandMoto

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Cleveland, Oh
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Waters
Member #

I'm selling my '94 FJ80 - It's been a blast, and I love it, but I'm not using it (working way too much) I just spent a pile of money and time doing a full service on this rig and I'm letting it go for less than I've got in it. If you have any questions let me know. We just took it on a highway trip to Grand Rapids and back over 600 miles in a single day and "Yolandi" performed flawlessly. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country. She's got less than 85k miles on her and is a great place to enjoy a road trip and sleeps 2 comfortably. I've got it listed on ClevelandMoto, if you need more pictures, let me know. 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 VX Limited | ClevelandMoto

KRomer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Romer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0ROM
Not sure if you are still looking

Here is probably the best section to look for used 80's FJ80 | FZJ80 | LX450 | HDJ81

You can also search on the users to see if they have a build thread and how they have taken care of them. Also look for one that came stock with Front and rear lockers

I am a moderator on that forum for 80's and 200 series Land Cruisers

Key is maintenance. Front axles every 90K or earlier if leaking. Normal fluid changes etc

These vehicles if well maintained last a long time. Lots of people in my local Offroad club club have 80's that have had for 20 years with no issues, but again that is because they took care of them

You may also look at the V8 100 series. The 98-2000 came with a rear locker in many cases and that gives you a V8. The 2003 came with a 5 speed tranny which really helps the drivability. My daughter still drives a 2004 100 series Land Cruiser

Another option that has become popular is the Lexus GX470 which is the same as the Land Cruiser Prado (120 series) sold everywhere else. My other daughter has one of those

You can tell I am a bit biased on Land Cruisers. I bought my first one in 1979 and sold it in 83. I went through Jeeps and a GMC before gravitating back to Land Cruisers. Since getting back in I have had two FJ40's, 1 80 series, 1 100 series. I now drive a 200 series and still have my third FJ40.
Gamiviti.JPG
Tires.JPG

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

I'm selling my '94 FJ80 - It's been a blast, and I love it, but I'm not using it (working way too much) I just spent a pile of money and time doing a full service on this rig and I'm letting it go for less than I've got in it. If you have any questions let me know. We just took it on a highway trip to Grand Rapids and back over 600 miles in a single day and "Yolandi" performed flawlessly. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country. She's got less than 85k miles on her and is a great place to enjoy a road trip and sleeps 2 comfortably. I've got it listed on ClevelandMoto, if you need more pictures, let me know. 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 VX Limited | ClevelandMoto
am I seeing it that it's a RHD? Where'd you get truck...

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

I imported it from Japan, I import quite a few Japanese vehicles that are over 25 years old.
amazing. I was already putting $$$ away for the new Defender, now I'm rethinking of going back to my Toyota days... I'm seriously considering this.