First trip to Moab!

• HTML tutorial

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

Finally made to Moab and got a chance to run Hells Revenge and Fins N Things! Had a blast playing on the rocks and exploring the limits of my FJ. It was also a great chance for me and my wife to strengthen our abilities as drivers and spotters!

My rig is running General Grabber X3 in 315/70r17 aired down to 18psi and had little to no trouble at all on the rocks

Day 1 was Hells Revenge!

IMG_4209.JPG

Overlooking the Colorado river
IMG_4241.JPG
I did bypass a few obstacles as this was my first time and we flying single ship. Mickeys Hot Tub is very sketchy looking in pictures and downright scary looking in person. This whole is more than big enough to swallow my FJ! There are some awesome video clips on YouTube illustrating what happens when you mess up on this obstacle.IMG_4281.JPG Pictures do not do this trail any justice! The climbs and descents can be downright steep!
IMG_4246.JPG
IMG_4266.JPG IMG_4286.JPG
My wife taking turn behind the wheel and flexing out the FJ nicely!
IMG_4309.JPG
All in all had a great day and learned a ton about what my FJ can do and what my limits are!

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

Day 2 was Fins N Things. We had a good friend come down and rent a Jeep to run the trail with us!
IMG_4329.jpg
IMG_4343.jpg
IMG_4388.jpg
Several obstacles offered multiple lines of varying difficulty. Our friend opted to take a slightly easier line in her rental.
IMG_4405.jpg
Rated as a difficult trail I would suggest 33" tires or bigger, good approach/breakover/departure angles, and at least 1 locker. I ended up using both my front and rear locker in a few places. A very fun trail for the slightly modified overland rig!

Reactions: MBroenkow

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

Day 3 Dad and I went out on the Monitor and Merrimac Jeep trail. Not nearly as challenging as the first two days but very scenic and worth the drive. Dad ran this one in his bone stock '94 Bronco. IMG_6363.jpg
Spectacular views
IMG_4486.jpg IMG_4498.jpg
I would be cautious about running this trail in the rain as much of the trail is down in a wash.
IMG_6374.jpg
Once again, I had a great time in Moab and I can't wait for a chance to go back!!!

Denver6161

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver
Member #

How did your friend like Cliffhanger Jeep Rental? I'm heading out to Moab next week and a buddy is looking for a jeep rental. Any suggestions or tips?

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

How did your friend like Cliffhanger Jeep Rental? I'm heading out to Moab next week and a buddy is looking for a jeep rental. Any suggestions or tips?
Our friend liked them. As far as tips or suggestions, have you been there before? What type of rig are you running? Experience level?

I used this book as a trail guide. There's a little something for everyone!!! Take lots of pictures!!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Denver6161

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver
Member #

Our friend liked them. As far as tips or suggestions, have you been there before? What type of rig are you running? Experience level?

I used this book as a trail guide. There's a little something for everyone!!! Take lots of pictures!!!

That is a great book! I've been out to Moab once or twice but it has been quite a few years. I'm driving a 1996 Land Rover Discovery. We had pulled a permit for a night on the White Rim Trail but I'm expecting that we'll have to pivot due to the springtime flooding on the west side of the trail. We've never rented a Jeep that was expected to be taken off road and didn't know if there was any tips or things to check on or verify when picking up the vehicle. Sounds like your buddy had an agreeable experience which makes me feel a whole lot better about the ordeal. Did you camp or stay in town? The FJ looks great on the rocks!

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

That is a great book! I've been out to Moab once or twice but it has been quite a few years. I'm driving a 1996 Land Rover Discovery. We had pulled a permit for a night on the White Rim Trail but I'm expecting that we'll have to pivot due to the springtime flooding on the west side of the trail. We've never rented a Jeep that was expected to be taken off road and didn't know if there was any tips or things to check on or verify when picking up the vehicle. Sounds like your buddy had an agreeable experience which makes me feel a whole lot better about the ordeal. Did you camp or stay in town? The FJ looks great on the rocks!
It was kinda fun being the only IFS rig out there! We camped on BLM land north of town on Bartlett Wash Road. Made camp about about 4pm on a Thursday and by sundown every campsite was taken.