Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I have been searching for the perfect first aid kit for my rig. There are a lot of things to consider when picking a kit. 1. I wanted it to be waterproof 2. I wanted it to be enough for my family of 3. I didn't want it to be huge 4. I didn't want it to cost a fortune 5. I wanted to know how to use everything in it without an MD but still have everything for a real emergency. I have found that the My Medic Storm Proof is the perfect fit for us. I like it so much I bought 2. It fits perfect in my rig and my wife's car. The refill packs are awesome. You can customize the kit for your specific needs, or just replace things you use. It doesn't have a bunch of filler junk but actually has things for a real emergency. It was not cheap, but it did not cost a fortune. I HIGHLY recommend this kit.

What kit do you have and why do you like it?

20210606_125019443_iOS.jpg

20210606_125237763_iOS.jpg

Reactions: KD7WCD

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
I addition to the standard basics, I also have a couple of trauma kits with blood clotting agents and multiple tourniquets in their own pouches. These are available online. A little pricey.

For the dogs, I also have full body carry slings should they become injured and unable to walk. I carry these when ever we are off exploring hill & dale/

I keep these and the basic first-aid kits stored for quick grab & go access.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Very first thing is to get some proper training. Don't need to be an EMT but a good basic first aid class / CPR is a good start. A back country first aid is even better.

Reactions: North40overland
W

with_tyler

I started with the basic FAK I used in the military and for mountaineering. Then it expanded as different things happened. I always try to “be prepared” but last year the only thing I needed my FAK for was when my son got swarmed by wasps while we were out hiking. We ran out of sting cream real quick!

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I started with the basic FAK I used in the military and for mountaineering. Then it expanded as different things happened. I always try to “be prepared” but last year the only thing I needed my FAK for was when my son got swarmed by wasps while we were out hiking. We ran out of sting cream real quick!
I hear ya! I added a tube of after bite to the pack. I also wish it had a snake bite kit. I am going to order one of those because we have a lot of copperheads around here.

Reactions: with_tyler
W

with_tyler

I hear ya! I added a tube of after bite to the pack. I also wish it had a snake bite kit. I am going to order one of those because we have a lot of copperheads around here.
That’s a good idea. Post if you find one that is a reasonable size and worth getting. I don’t like snakes. That is a nice way of saying it.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I have several My Medic kits and med packs, and they're all excellent. I keep an Advanced Recon kit (comes in a backpack) in my truck, a Solo in the tail bag of my motorcycle, and I keep a couple Hiker Medic packs easily accessible in an MTM dry box where they are quick to grab and throw in various packs and bags when we hike or hit the beach or whatever. I even have a couple Pet Medic med packs in there for my dogs! There're having a sale at the moment so now is a good time to buy.

W

with_tyler

I have several My Medic kits and med packs, and they're all excellent. I keep an Advanced Recon kit (comes in a backpack) in my truck, a Solo in the tail bag of my motorcycle, and I keep a couple Hiker Medic packs easily accessible in an MTM dry box where they are quick to grab and throw in various packs and bags when we hike or hit the beach or whatever. I even have a couple Pet Medic med packs in there for my dogs! There're having a sale at the moment so now is a good time to buy.
Checking it out now! Thank you for the heads up.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Checking it out now! Thank you for the heads up.
You're welcome! I just bought a few more kits, :laughing:: (2) Auto Medic (one for my wife's car, one for my son's car) and (1) Moto Medic so I can move the Solo to my Camelbak where it can reside permanently. Oh, and you can pay with your HSA if you have one.

davidu

Rank I

Contributor I

Big Sky, MT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Ulevitch
Member #

What are you buying? I was under the impression almost all are considered more dangerous than just rushing the patient to a hospital.

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
What are you buying? I was under the impression almost all are considered more dangerous than just rushing the patient to a hospital.
That is what I am reading as well. Seems like they don’t actually work so I guess that is out. Investing in boots seems like a better option ‍♂

W

with_tyler

That is what I am reading as well. Seems like they don’t actually work so I guess that is out. Investing in boots seems like a better option ‍♂
That is what I found. Not that I am trying to push my luck with any non-legged reptile any time soon.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Like many other European countries, German law requires that all automobiles have a portable red reflective triangle, first aid kit and a minimum of two safety/reflective vests. Once I moved back to the US, I brought that mindset with me. Although I no longer have the original German container (think I gave it to one of my kids), I still prefer to build my own kit vs buying a pre-assembled one. Size isn't too much of an issue since it all fits under the back seat. My standard vehicle first aid kit (yellow box) is pretty standard with all the normal stuff, plus one trauma pack and a CPR mask. When going on trips, I also carry 6 pieces of small rebar, zip ties and duct tape to use as splints/tourniquets, insect sting & snake bite kits, epi-pens, and my CERT kit.

IMAG1632.jpg

W

with_tyler

You're welcome! I just bought a few more kits, :laughing:: (2) Auto Medic (one for my wife's car, one for my son's car) and (1) Moto Medic so I can move the Solo to my Camelbak where it can reside permanently. Oh, and you can pay with your HSA if you have one.

Ordered some more kits. Thank you for the heads up on the sale.