Finally joined the fridge/freezer club! Costway 54qt

• HTML tutorial

Reaper_st84

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Do you have any information on the parts you used with this system you can share? Thank you.
90w enerwatt solar panel with MC4 plugs.(a must have because they are sealed with an o-ring and they are outside)

The DIY battery box is an old military 50cal ammo box,i bought fuses,sockets usb and 12v and solar port and wires and connectors,solar charge controler,i watched a video few years ago from youtube for how to make a solar generator and i started from there.All parts was found on local store and amazon.

Also installed an AC port on the jeep to have direct power,in the garage,camping sites ect...really good addition.

The jeep is an old 2007 jku so all these DIY stuff is a practice for when i get a Van [emoji16]IMG_20190512_110250.jpgIMG_20190511_112313.jpg

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
90w enerwatt solar panel with MC4 plugs.(a must have because they are sealed with an o-ring and they are outside)

The DIY battery box is an old military 50cal ammo box,i bought fuses,sockets usb and 12v and solar port and wires and connectors,solar charge controler,i watched a video few years ago from youtube for how to make a solar generator and i started from there.All parts was found on local store and amazon.

Also installed an AC port on the jeep to have direct power,in the garage,camping sites ect...really good addition.

The jeep is an old 2007 jku so all these DIY stuff is a practice for when i get a Van [emoji16]View attachment 100188View attachment 100189
Thank you

Reactions: Reaper_st84

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

The jeep is an old 2007 jku so all these DIY stuff is a practice for when i get a Van [emoji16]View attachment 100188View attachment 100189
Thanks but all mud to me. Looks clean enough to be professional.

NV Badlands

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carson Valley, Nevada
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hutchings
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DEM
Service Branch
Air Force

What do you use to plug your Jeep into the power? I’ve got a KL and was thinking of something like this on mine as well.

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Took the fridge for a 3 days fishing trip,run for 3 entire days on solar,really good and really happy with this set-up.View attachment 101356View attachment 101357View attachment 101358View attachment 101359View attachment 101360View attachment 101361View attachment 101362
Thanks for the post! Have been wanting a fridge/freezer also but didn't want to spend almost a thousand for one. Ordered the Costs at and it will be here next week. Question, do you have issues with condensation?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not yet...but i guess i can have some if its really hot outside.If a good question btw,i will keep an eye on that.
Wouldn't the manufactures info cover the question on condensation and how to prevent it ? That may be why a lot of people put their ref. in an insulated blanket devise. I would also think that since it is a compressor type ref. the condensation would be taken care of with an evaporator system just like your house no frost ref's. at home. Is there Anyone out there in OB that can give us some knowable advise on this subject.

Reactions: Wilson123

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL

Really digging this set-up. Kinda giving me ideas for what I want to do. Just picked up a 50QT ARB fridge/freezer and need to get it wired up for use in my 18 JK

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Really digging this set-up. Kinda giving me ideas for what I want to do. Just picked up a 50QT ARB fridge/freezer and need to get it wired up for use in my 18 JK
That looks like a female plug in on your jeep, is it. My camp trailer has a male plug on it for an extension ????

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
My buddy's just died after only a few months, but he contacted Costway and within 12 hrs they offered a full refund or replacement. He had it mounted in a custom box in the bed of his Taco. Mine gets bounced around daily on trails and transferred quite a bit, nice to know the customer service is strong, i'm known for killing things.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Male plug yes outside and female inside,it is for the fridge.
Your inside plug is a 12v female or 110v female. Where is your inverter or are you running directly off the solar ? I ask a lot of dumb questions because I am dumb about this sort of thing. I have the 100 w solar panels, charger and batteries. I don't have the inverter yet but I am told I can run from the charger directly to a battery then from battery to 12v ref. Is that correct ?

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Your inside plug is a 12v female or 110v female. Where is your inverter or are you running directly off the solar ? I ask a lot of dumb questions because I am dumb about this sort of thing. I have the 100 w solar panels, charger and batteries. I don't have the inverter yet but I am told I can run from the charger directly to a battery then from battery to 12v ref. Is that correct ?
You can run it as you have suggested: Solar->charge controller->battery->fridge. Just make sure you charge controller for your solar system has the right type of setting for the type of batteries you are using. It is more efficient to keep the system 12V anyway. If you are using the vehicle's starting batteries make sure to set the fridge cut off voltage high enough to keep you from draining your battery. It is also a good idea to have one of the small lithium jump start batteries. I keep one made by Noco in my truck/jeep.

My experience with my 100W panel is my battery would be topped off by noon on a sunny day after running my ARB fridge all night. This is with 80+ degree days and 60 degree nights.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
You can run it as you have suggested: Solar->charge controller->battery->fridge. Just make sure you charge controller for your solar system has the right type of setting for the type of batteries you are using. It is more efficient to keep the system 12V anyway. If you are using the vehicle's starting batteries make sure to set the fridge cut off voltage high enough to keep you from draining your battery. It is also a good idea to have one of the small lithium jump start batteries. I keep one made by Noco in my truck/jeep.

My experience with my 100W panel is my battery would be topped off by noon on a sunny day after running my ARB fridge all night. This is with 80+ degree days and 60 degree nights.
Thank you, I will follow your advise closely. Experience speaks loudly.

Reactions: Brewbud

wstark54

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

3562 Weikel st Philadelphia Pa 19134
First Name
William
Last Name
Stark
Member #

So just a few notes on the Costway. Was out for a week, on 24/7 used the car batt, as we were on the trails every day and it worked as advertised. Condensation will build as you use the fridge and it freezes to the sides just like the old fridges. Overall very happy with the unit. Any questions ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
So just a few notes on the Costway. Was out for a week, on 24/7 used the car batt, as we were on the trails every day and it worked as advertised. Condensation will build as you use the fridge and it freezes to the sides just like the old fridges. Overall very happy with the unit. Any questions ?
Glad to know that. I just don't want condensation to find a way out of the ref and into the rig. As long as it stays inside the box condensation doesn't bother me. The amount does have something to do with how often you open the ref. That is why with children or beer drinkers I carry an ice cooler. Beverages take up to much room in the ref and Ice keeps them much colder for a couple of days.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes, what size ref did you purchase and do you think large ref's have as much or less than a smaller unit. I'm guessing but I think people who have the 52-54 qt. units or larger might have more condensation because they put their drinks in them and open them more often.

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Yes, what size ref did you purchase and do you think large ref's have as much or less than a smaller unit. I'm guessing but I think people who have the 52-54 qt. units or larger might have more condensation because they put their drinks in them and open them more often.
I bought the 54 quart and just got back from 3 day camping trip I at Texas/Oklahoma border and fridge did great. Only froze a little along walls but not a lot of build up. No outside condensation. Very quiet!! Would like to get solar panels at some point in future like the suitcase panels. Does anyone know what wattage would be needed?