Father/Son Tat Trip- 2016 T4R Trail Premium

• HTML tutorial

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

They look good! Followed you on IG the other day. Looking forward to see where this build goes, and how the trip goes as well.

TDAWG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pawtucket, RI/ Fort Lauderdale, FL/ Alta, Utah
First Name
TDawg
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

View attachment 23418 View attachment 23419 Shrockworks sliders arrived late Thursday afternoon and I installed them yesterday before driving 3 1/2 hours to Hershey PA to camp for two nights and try out our set up.

Couple things about the Shrockworks experience
  • Packaged very nicely when shipped with expandable foam etc to ensure no damage
  • Parts list was a DISASTER! Over a couple washers and short bolts, wrong sizes. Very annoying. Not only that, the one bolt (3/8x1 1/4) I was short 5 and guess what? That is the only size HD and Lowes does not carry. So off to Fastenal I went and had to buy a package of 50. So if any members are shorted by Shrockworks, hot me up, I have 45 extra.
  • They are very well made
  • I have a '16 4Runner so I had to use a number of the stick nuts due to tapped holes being done away with. This is the only thing that killed my time installing by myself. That and having a head like a ham made it hard to see the stick nuts line up sometimes.
  • Total install time after running around town for parts was 5.5 hours.
  • They look awesome and are very solid
I will post slider pics when it stops raining. Till then, here is our Hershey test set up. Waiting for my son to wake up and see if he's dry or soaked as it has been pourin since we set up last night. Have a great day all!
I look forward to your updates. Too bad I didn't see the sooner. I would have suggested Pepboys, Auto Zone or even Walmart for the bolts you needed. Fastenal is great but like you said had to purchase a box of 50. The bright side you have extra for other projects. Keep up the great work.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: GSDforLife

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

IMG_1258.JPG IMG_1260.JPG IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1246.JPG Well, good news. The boy woke up in the budget RTT bone dry after a night of non-stop solid rain. Both nights my air mattress deflated ( it sucks) so I am taking suggestions on a decent one others have used. Overall, great trip and we had a lot fun. Here's some pics with the new Shrockworks rock sliders on, and some trails we found in PA.

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

Well, good news. The boy woke up in the budget RTT bone dry after a night of non-stop solid rain. Both nights my air mattress deflated ( it sucks) so I am taking suggestions on a decent one others have used. Overall, great trip and we had a lot fun. Here's some pics with the new Shrockworks rock sliders on, and some trails we found in PA.
Never had luck or been a fan of the air mattress. They seem to always deflate.

Couple options I've used. When camping and in my rig I've used a closed cell foam pad. You can get interlocking ones from Home Depot (Here) These also REALLY help with heat loss. I felt a lot of the time I was getting chilly was because the floor of the rig was cold vs the ambient temperature inside. This really helps with that.

If I really want to get comfy I have used a foldable memory foam mattress. (Here)

Thats what I used to use when I was single. It's an entire different story now haha

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

It's people like @A10MileHusker that make these forums and other areas of knowledge so valuable. Thanks man. Will it work for me? I don't know, but will surely give me a place to start. Love the fact that guys are cool enough to share what worked for them. Wish @A10MileHusker were closer east to meet up with on our trip. When I get out west, will definitely look up to buy a brew and have some good conversation. Thanks all for the support and great advice. Cool community to join.

Reactions: A10MileHusker

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

It's people like @A10MileHusker that make these forums and other areas of knowledge so valuable. Thanks man. Will it work for me? I don't know, but will surely give me a place to start. Love the fact that guys are cool enough to share what worked for them. Wish @A10MileHusker were closer east to meet up with on our trip. When I get out west, will definitely look up to buy a brew and have some good conversation. Thanks all for the support and great advice. Cool community to join.
Thanks man! Appreciate the compliment!

Would love to meet up sometime. Hopefully one day! Cheers!

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

The ARB compressor came in. Install this weekend. Will post pics. C4 Fabrication sent my bumper and I will post once done and installed. Hope it turns out as expected. Thanks to all for following and lending support. Have a great weekend!

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Well, OCD is an absolute blast when fabricating a bracket. No one will ever see it, but I needed to make and redo three times to make sure it meets standard. Made, painted, done. Will mount tomorrow and post the pics. It better work. Unless I hit a telephone pole, this thing is going no where.

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

All set. No more paying the .75 at the gas station for everyday air. What a relief. Oh, and as an added bonus, we will be able to repair a flat on the trail so we are not stuck in the middle of nowhere and end up in a bad deliverance scene. Yeah, that's what I told her....IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

So finally my C4 Fab lo pro hidden winch bumper arrived today. Bringing it to the powder court guys tomorrow and really hoping that they can turn this around quickly as I have to put in the T4R within the next 10 days for the lift/suspension work. Seems like it is really well made, nice welds, and we will soon see the install process. Now I have to go get a winch and hope that fits properly. One odd thing about this is that there were absolutely no instructions packed. Found C4s write up on install on another forum. Seems straight forward but I will report back.

IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Supposed to rain all day tomorrow. Going to see if I can make a weatherproof switch box for under the hood for the ARB compressor. Don't feel like running the switch into the cab. I would like the switch under the hood near the unit. Let's see what we can come up with.

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Much accomplished today. Got my new C4 Fab bumper to powder coat today. They will have it done by Wednesday. Purchased a 9K winch (Badlands) and I know it is not a Warn, whatever. Just hope it fits and works. Ordered my BFG KO2s and will have them installed at 8am tomorrow. Very excited about getting some new shoes. Hoping to get all back by mid-week and installed by next weekend so that Extreme Vehicle Builders can complete this suspension package. Thanks to all who are checking in on the progress. Realized over 500 people have checked in as of today. We appreciate that and are looking forward to posting some cool pics once the adventure is under way. Have a great weekend fellow overlanders!

Reactions: TGF

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

I think I am on to something. Been looking for a waterproof solution for the ARB OBA switch to keep it under the hood. Looks like a late night in the garage gettting this done. If all works out well, I will be sure to post pics.

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

So we made some progress. Silicone is drying and will post pics tomorrow once this is complete. Also ordered Lamin-X for the fogs today. Been wanting to yellow the fogs for some time. Finally a guy on IG put me on to Lamin-X.

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

View attachment 24573 Ah. Some new shoes. BFG KO2s. 275/70/17. A little annoyed with the front rub. Hoping the lift takes care of that. Anyone with 5th gen experience that could provide your insight/thoughts would be much appreciated.
Did you do the front fender mod?

See post #2 here(Here). Little hard to picture in your head but very simple 10 minute mod and would allow for 285s with out a lift with most tires (some still rub).

Reactions: GSDforLife

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Well folks, back to the 'ol drawing board as the coyote used to say. Hitting the garage to make some brackets to hold both the hi-lift and the traction boards on the same bracket. We are running out of room fast. I refuse to pay $149 for the right brackets when I can spend $250 to do it myself. I will absolutely never learn. It's only money, you make more tomorrow.