Father/Son Tat Trip- 2016 T4R Trail Premium

• HTML tutorial

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Hello everyone. Just wanted to start a thread here as I am really looking forward to a trip I have been planning with my son. Apologies in advance for the initial lengthy post, but would like to document what's done, what needs to be done etc. I plan on posting pics as we add new mods and prepare, and of course as we go on our adventure. Please feel free to ask questions, give advice (I could surely use it) or just check-in. Thanks for looking.

About the trip:
We live in NY and will be leaving on July 5th and head down to Andrews NC (13 hour drive) and spend the night in a hotel. Wake up early on July 6th and hit the Trans America Trail. For the next 6 days, we will journey through Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. Then we head home. All nights on the trail will be spent camping and just enjoying the outdoors. This will be the first time in many years that I am able to actually take off and completely disconnect from work. My son just turned 16 and is in the final process of becoming an Eagle Scout so he is pretty self-sufficient and will probably teach me a thing or two. Planned out the trip to do approximately 150-200 miles per day. Ordered and received Sam's TAT maps and roll charts.

Rig: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium with KDSS
Mods as of now:
  • Gobi roof rack with ladder
  • 40" front light bar with 2x12" rear lights for rack
  • Ellis Precision shift and T-case knobs
  • Fabricated roll-chart holder bracket for my co-pilot
  • Interior LED kit
  • Headlight and back-up LED replacements
  • ARB Diff Breather installed
  • Extended Locker Breather (rear)
  • CB installed
  • TRD Pro black wheels
  • Made shovel/axe/hi-lift mounts for Gobi rack
  • Scepter 5gal military fuel can
  • custom screens for rear and back windows fullsizeoutput_8ac.jpeg
On order:
  • C4 Fab Lo Pro Winch bumper
  • Schrockworks sliders
  • Toytec Lift BOSS suspension

To do:
  • Get bumper painted and installed once received
  • Determine which winch that will fit to get
  • Have lift and suspension installed
  • Buy and install BFG KO2 275/70/17
  • Determine which GPS to get for the trip (would love some input) that we can load Sam's GPS tracks

As we get closer, we will have a youtube channel, IG, and snap chat account set-up. I am told that we MUST do this. I leave all this to my son as I have no idea how to maintain this stuff. Will certainly post in case anyone would like to follow along. Will also try to meet some OB members along the way if possible. Here are some pics so far.

jhill15

Rank 0

Contributor II

Nice gutter guard turned screen for your back windows! I would've have never thought to use that.

Looking forward to reading more!!!!
:subscribed:

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Just got off the phone with Shrockworks. Apparently the sliders are shipping today! Will post pics once installed. So far a good company to deal with.

Reactions: TGF

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Doing a little inventory this morning. Documenting what we have, what we think we need, etc. Coming along. My son is also attempting to show me how to use Instagram today. Once I figure out how to share it, I will post here in the event anyone is interested in seeing someone stumble through this process HA!IMG_1218.JPG

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

Great thread! Subscribed to follow the progress! What a fantastic way to put those Eagle Scout skills to use (I am an Eagle Scout as well). Interested to see the SW sliders. I'm looking at getting a set.

If you get on Instagram make sure to follow me! Link in signature.

Reactions: GSDforLife

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Great thread! Subscribed to follow the progress! What a fantastic way to put those Eagle Scout skills to use (I am an Eagle Scout as well). Interested to see the SW sliders. I'm looking at getting a set.

If you get on Instagram make sure to follow me! Link in signature.
Thanks my friend. Going to have a great time. Have to enjoy it now before life just makes the time go by. Will definitely follow you as we got the IG set up today. I will post my handle in this thread. Cheers!

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Hello everyone. Thanks for looking in on our upcoming trip and rig build. Just set up the Instagram account today with my son and will continue to stumble through it. Please feel free to follow on Instagram at gsdforlifee. We will do our best to keep all up to date. Appreciate all the advice and support. Cheers!

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Coolio how old is your son? My son is 17 and really enjoys heading out with me. Going to plan a trip to Moab UT with him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: GSDforLife

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Coolio how old is your son? My son is 17 and really enjoys heading out with me. Going to plan a trip to Moab UT with him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Just turned 16. He has been working real hard on the Eagle Scout thing. His goal is to be Eagle this year and get to enjoy 2 years as an Eagle in his troop. My biggest goal in life is to help him achieve his. Thanks for checking in. Would love to get out to Moab some day. Have fun!

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Little bit of progress today. Got my traction mats today and ordered my GPS. Went with the Garmin etrex30x. Really don't need anything too fancy on that front. Have the maps and roll-charts as well. Just needed something to download Sam's tracks for the portion of the TAT we are doing. Now I just need to figure out how I am going to mount these mats. No rear-tire bumper option and I don't want to strap to the ladder as my son will be using it to sleep up on the rack.IMG_1225.JPG

Hang Loose

Rank 0

Traveler I

Those roll charts are awesome! I like the idea of relying on some good old analog tech these days - no worries about connection and battery life.

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

IMG_1233.JPG IMG_1235.JPG Shrockworks sliders arrived late Thursday afternoon and I installed them yesterday before driving 3 1/2 hours to Hershey PA to camp for two nights and try out our set up.

Couple things about the Shrockworks experience
  • Packaged very nicely when shipped with expandable foam etc to ensure no damage
  • Parts list was a DISASTER! Over a couple washers and short bolts, wrong sizes. Very annoying. Not only that, the one bolt (3/8x1 1/4) I was short 5 and guess what? That is the only size HD and Lowes does not carry. So off to Fastenal I went and had to buy a package of 50. So if any members are shorted by Shrockworks, hot me up, I have 45 extra.
  • They are very well made
  • I have a '16 4Runner so I had to use a number of the stick nuts due to tapped holes being done away with. This is the only thing that killed my time installing by myself. That and having a head like a ham made it hard to see the stick nuts line up sometimes.
  • Total install time after running around town for parts was 5.5 hours.
  • They look awesome and are very solid
I will post slider pics when it stops raining. Till then, here is our Hershey test set up. Waiting for my son to wake up and see if he's dry or soaked as it has been pourin since we set up last night. Have a great day all!