Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

LOL mine was the opposite. I lowered it and ran 17" Centerline wheels. It was terrible off-road but handled well on-road and still got 48mpg hauling land management gear. Nothing quite like watching a rancher drive by slowly in his F250 to watch you repairing a fence out of the back of a Prius. They started calling my car the King Ranch edition whenever I rolled into the farm supply store for materials.

I'm a chimney sweep and am considering a used Prius now that I have a power sweep system and no longer need ladders.

The only thing I dislike about a Prius is the lack of gtound clearance... but that is an easy fix.

Reactions: JCWages

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

This is a long long thread but I would just like to chime in and say that before getting my Outback I did some epic trips with my Jetta that a lot of people would be jealous of and it did great, granted sometimes I would just need to send it and hope I didn't rip the bumpers off but it was always fun!

Don't get hung up on what other people do.

Reactions: Michael

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

Lets all just admit it were all fakes.
Im just a offroader who happens to camp sometimes while offroad. I dont camp more than 2 days, im not traveling across the country off pavement for months at a time. I dont let overlanding define my identity.
Speak for yourself. This person is super prepared for anything! I think this is the rig that won last Camel Trophy.

overland.jpeg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Speak for yourself. This person is super prepared for anything! I think this is the rig that won last Camel Trophy.

View attachment 122572
That guys just homeless likely recently divorced. In all honesty ive seen cheap people usually renters move this way. Might even be that guy who uses the forrest rds as his dump going to drop all that trash deep in the woods.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Derbydude

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Rosa ca 95404
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

For me overlanding is about meeting people, discovering new cultures... expanding yer mind.
Otherwise you are just camping or wheeling.
Overlanding challenges you mentally..
and emotionally.

Technically you don't need a 4x4 or even a vehicle.
Some of the best "overlanders" do it by sailing around the world.
View attachment 113541
Wouldn’t that be called “Overseaing”?

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
So overlanding is "offroad" driving? Does a gravel or dirt road qualify as offroad? What percent of the trip has to be offroad? If I see a Prius while I am "offroad" am I disqualified?
Be careful what you ask for...IMG_6140.jpegyou might have a Prius roll up in your rearview...just saying..

Reactions: RadioRick

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Be careful what you ask for...View attachment 123426you might have a Prius roll up in your rearview...just saying..
Lets see something like that that isnt photoshopped. Im sure someone has to be willing to put a prius body on a jeep just cuz.... down here in texas it aint uncommon to see lifted camaros and el caminos ive even seen a 65 mustang lifted here. But ive never seen them off road it is more the idea of i have a small pecker so look at me or look what i can do im a redneck.