Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

So, let me understand something. Having a lifted, upgraded-suspension 4WD for overlanding by itself doesn't mean you're an overlanding snob, but if say "you're not really capable of overlanding unless you have this" than it is a sign of snobbery?

Do these snobs actually exist? Have any of you guys met such people?
Having an equipped or modded 4x4 does not make you a snob. Saying your not really capable of overlanding unless you have this doesnt make you snob however maybe misinformed . Now if someone to recommend or suggest modification or a certain gear then that's just sharing information and I welcome it. I like to talk shop

A sign of snobbery cuts both ways. The guy who who cooks a gourmet meal using nothing but a bic lighter and a piece of tinfoil may shake his head at the skottle your using to heat left over mac and cheese, or vice versa guy has a 1500 kitchen set up looks at the caveman eating beans out of a can. But to be honest I dont usually run into snobbery of any kind . If I did I'm glad to get it out of the way quickly because I would hate to waste my time on such an opinionated douche. Maybe I haven't noticed due to the vibe someone may give off, lol maybe not a snob just jerk period.

Bottom line it doesnt matter what you drive as long as it gets you to and from where you want to go safely capable of managing the terrain you seek without destroying it. If someone is snob then there kind of a dick anyway and you dont need that in you life

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Seen a guy in a Honda Accord yesterday with a winch, roof rack and fuel cans. I bet he gets way farther from the mall parking lot than many in far better built rigs. :joycat:

I can’t believe how far these threads drag on. Arguing semantic seems a silly thing. Especially on the internet where you can not gauge a persons attitude and delivery in their response.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

So, let me understand something. Having a lifted, upgraded-suspension 4WD for overlanding by itself doesn't mean you're an overlanding snob, but if say "you're not really capable of overlanding unless you have this" than it is a sign of snobbery?

Do these snobs actually exist? Have any of you guys met such people?
Now you're just stirring up shit. :laughing:

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I had a thing for redheads.

'Til I married one.
I just married a redhead 8 months ago. She's an artist, super sweet and nice...but that doesn't mean I don't sleep with one eye open....
Yep me too :grin: I’ve been married to one for 15 years. The twist is I’m a ginger too which made that whole soul stealing thing kinda complicated.

94ED6DA4-736E-48A6-9B00-BBC9E17D24D9.jpeg

Last edited:

Micheal369

Rank III
Launch Member

Builder I

Lebanon, TN, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRUN860
I'm just a wanderer. I go wherever the adventure takes me. My ride is comfortable to me. I got what I need to survive packed. Im happy. Isnt that what this is really about? If some folks want to go play in the mud or on the rocks, I say go have fun. Thats what makes them happy. If some folks want to cruise the flat roads, I say cruise on.
We each have our own reasons for doing what we do. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of what we are doing or how we do it. To thine own self be true. Be happy. Enjoy nature. For me, it's really quite simple.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm just a wanderer. I go wherever the adventure takes me. My ride is comfortable to me. I got what I need to survive packed. Im happy. Isn't that what this is really about? If some folks want to go play in the mud or on the rocks, I say go have fun. That's what makes them happy. If some folks want to cruise the flat roads, I say cruise on.
We each have our own reasons for doing what we do. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of what we are doing or how we do it. To thine own self be true. Be happy. Enjoy nature. For me, it's really quite simple.
I can almost assure you that 90 percent will agree with you. It's a dead horse !

GUTB

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas, TX
First Name
Super
Last Name
Genius
90% of people would agree, apparently, that driving to a RV park to camp over the weekend is "overlanding", not because it is overlanding but because, socially, it's important to be positive and inclusive.

• Haha
Reactions: Ghost and Motoboss

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just because it’s dead doesn’t mean we can’t keep hitting it with the biggest stick we can find!
Waste of effort on my part, I had my say when I quoted Webster's Dictionary, and they still keep coming, worse than mosquitos or fly's on a dead horse. we don't need to beat it we need to burn it ! Some people just don't understand English or have any common sense.

Reactions: grubworm

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
90% of people would agree, apparently, that driving to a RV park to camp over the weekend is "overlanding", not because it is overlanding but because, socially, it's important to be positive and inclusive.
I don't agree with your assumptions, you cant put everyone in the same fish bowl. I could care less about socializing or being include in other folks pleasure. I do what I do for me and no one else. I don't know anyone who even considers overlanding a social event unless you want to include the big trail rally's and the ridiculous and costly expo shows that I don't have any interest in participating. If I go with someone to overland it is for my safety and no other reason. Safety in numbers as you should know. (socially important to whom I might ask) IMO most of you city folks that overland are trying to avoid the social activities of the city and day to day horrors of the city and hum drum jobs, and seek the solitude of the wilderness wherever that might be. The word overland is totally unimportant in definition, it is what it is and only the elite minded would try to make it something more special that what it is.

Reactions: grubworm and Ghost

GUTB

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas, TX
First Name
Super
Last Name
Genius
I love the bottle of wine, as if anyone does gourmet cooking on the road. Why is that a little jet stove or just a fire pit is good enough for regular camping but with overlanding you need a kitchen with a sink and running water? Is it to sell to the wives to allow them to buy into the wildly inflated prices of these things?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I love the bottle of wine,
with overlanding you need a kitchen with a sink and running water?
you dont have running water living in your moms basement? sorry man...the last thing i want to do is come across as insensitive to those less fortunate...

Last edited:

tony chatman

Rank II

Contributor II

Bandon, Oregon, USA
First Name
tony
Last Name
chatman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ki7RIR
Hi, I'm new here but I'm curious about the overlanding I see on many youtube channels. It seems to me that what they're doing is going on flat, very well-worn offroad trails which look like a Corolla could cross them let alone a lifted Jeep. Also I see them crawling along, so I wonder if they might as well be driving Corollas. I had this idea of overlanding being something like long-range off-roading, or off-roading with camping mixed in. Off-roading to me meant crossing a terrain you couldn't in a regular commuter vehicle. Do I have an incorrect concept of overlanding or is what these guys are doing amounts to pretend overlanding?
overland is just that .got to remember most you tubers take 1/2 the day filming the rough parts of a trail. thats what people want to see on there channel..they dont want to see the 50 miles to get to the (good part). camping equipment is a must unless you find a motel out of a town..on a (trail) . unless you are down under or out in the desert. even then most people are only 50 miles from any town.(BY WAY CROW FLY'S) most roads to get to a (trail) is state/county/ federal roads so they are maintained to some degree at different time of year. so the average person can take there car and look at nature.(.the trails)are just that .there just for people who want the rugged road. MOST ARE SET A SIDE JUST FOR THAT. a fake over lander would be someone filming on there own property (in a circle) and saying they just went 50 miles off road. my opinion is you can drive the whole trip on pavement as long as you look at nature in places you have not been .you are over landing. no matter what you drive.or type of roads you drive on.get out and explore.. remember if its on youtube( it must be true)lol

Reactions: stoney126