Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Let's keep it civil, Inserts passive aggressive comment. Hahahaha . Since I'm the "those people" I'll respond . There is so much info here and in the core principals noted that if they were actually here to find out where he or she stands, the debates, arguments , pros and cons, budget no budget builds etc etc etc.. are here documented and some closed because it always goes down the same path.

These posts are to start shit plain and simple. If I'm off base then I apologize but I mean come on. Common sense answers the question do you need a 80k dollar veh. to drive on straight line dirt road . Obviously you do not and to start a thread about is not seeking knowledge , it can be to share you opinion but its ine that has been beaten to death . But Of course this is the internet and things get misinterpreted all the time.

So much time and energy wasted in what the next guy or gal is doing. Take that time and plan your next trip or how your going find what type of food to bring, should I bring the dog? This thing we do is about fun and enjoying the short time we have, dont waste it worring about trival nonsense . You dont get that time back.

*This isnt meant to sound angry or hostil
Doesn't feel angry or hostile, @stoney126 .

From where I sit, what I often (not always) see happening is that a thread like this starts innocently enough with an honest and valid question, usually from someone new to the site who is actually wondering something, and whether meant to stir things up or not it's the folks who respond that start making claims and really stirring up the shit, often trying to further validate or understand their own points of view, and it spirals into endless debate and side trails that are often negative.

The search function here is not always easy to use, and a lot just don't use it before starting another thread (especially new folk and often in the wrong place) about solar, 'overlanding,' this jeep or that toyota, lockers before lights, kitchen boxes, hi-lifts, "what should I do?" RTT's, or any number of other topics on which there are multiple and redundant threads.

For those of us that have been here longer--and you longer than most--it may seem to be oh shit, here we go again when the topic is an ambiguous term like overlanding.

To those who are new though--and this place is growing by leaps and bounds with folks of varying levels of experience (sometimes NO experience, as witnessed by threads started by folks who just took their first camping trip ever, much less 'overland' style)--their questions are often innocent in themselves and not trivial to the poster.

My point is that these threads do not need to always go down the same path. It's the rest of us that often stir up the shit in replying. We have as much responsibility as the original poster.

And yep, as far as planning, having fun, and enjoying ourselves, you bet, as I wrote above in reply to @Steve , if folks were to actually get out for more adventuring they would spend less time in places like this asking about how to do it. They'd know more about how to do it.

It's the age of the internet, though, where many of those who are new here grew up with devices in their hands and expect immediate gratification and instant answers. To paraphrase something @Corrie said in a conversation we once had, 'people use the supercomputer in their hands to learn how to get away from the supercomputer in their hands.'

Time to get out there and DO something...it is wicked nice out here on the coast of Maine today.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

In the old days, before this new term became a meme, we used to call it a camping road trip. It's not that it's "fake", it's just that it hasn't really changed. Most people aren't doing anymore than car camping in built vehicles. Heck, most of the photos posted on this site and elsewhere show organized campgrounds vs. dispersed camping. I see what people today are calling overlanding is really the 4x4 crowd running trails and then setting up group camps. AKA car camping. ;-)

Reactions: GeoCampers #4771

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Doesn't feel angry or hostile, @stoney126 .

From where I sit, what I often (not always) see happening is that a thread like this starts innocently enough with an honest and valid question, usually from someone new to the site who is actually wondering something, and whether meant to stir things up or not it's the folks who respond that start making claims and really stirring up the shit, often trying to further validate or understand their own points of view, and it spirals into endless debate and side trails that are often negative.

The search function here is not always easy to use, and a lot just don't use it before starting another thread (especially new folk and often in the wrong place) about solar, 'overlanding,' this jeep or that toyota, lockers before lights, kitchen boxes, hi-lifts, "what should I do?" RTT's, or any number of other topics on which there are multiple and redundant threads.

For those of us that have been here longer--and you longer than most--it may seem to be oh shit, here we go again when the topic is an ambiguous term like overlanding.

To those who are new though--and this place is growing by leaps and bounds with folks of varying levels of experience (sometimes NO experience, as witnessed by threads started by folks who just took their first camping trip ever, much less 'overland' style)--their questions are often innocent in themselves and not trivial to the poster.

My point is that these threads do not need to always go down the same path. It's the rest of us that often stir up the shit in replying. We have as much responsibility as the original poster.

And yep, as far as planning, having fun, and enjoying ourselves, you bet, as I wrote above in reply to @Steve , if folks were to actually get out for more adventuring they would spend less time in places like this asking about how to do it. They'd know more about how to do it.

It's the age of the internet, though, where many of those who are new here grew up with devices in their hands and expect immediate gratification and instant answers. To paraphrase something @Corrie said in a conversation we once had, 'people use the supercomputer in their hands to learn how to get away from the supercomputer in their hands.'

Time to get out there and DO something...it is wicked nice out here on the coast of Maine today.
Road, you make a lot of sense here with your comments. You communicate very well. Others do not do so well as you, including me. I say that because yesterday you misunderstood a reply I made to someone and you defended his statement to me. I tried twice to reply to your comment and both times when I tried to post my reply to you the site dropped me (???) It doesn't matter now what my reply was but I can assure you it was very respectful of your opinions that are always good, informative, educational and useful. You misunderstood where I was coming from and I simply was trying to restate my comments in a way that would clarify the subject.

Now I would like to address this subject again with my opinion of what happens on these controversial subjects. There seems to me to be several reasons that I see from my end.

#1, is the lack of ability to express a view clearly and using the correct terminology. #2, using words that sound inflammatory even without that intention, words matter. #3, making statements that sound as if you are talking about everybody (everybody does this or everybody does that), who is everybody ? Using words like argument when it is not an argument. Hopefully all discussion is a debate of opinions, not argumentative. There are exception of course. #4, misspelling, not always the person but the pc sometimes anticipates what your writing an injects it's own spelling which changes the meaning of the word. Editing what you write carefully could eliminate many of the negative reply's we all see. #5, just be aware of what you say and how you phrase it. Use enough words to explain yourself, short answers are deceiving at times and a full explanation of your point of view is important to the reader. Good example is shown above by @Roads ! I don't think anyone can misinterpret his post. It is clear, precise and shows he cares about good clear communication. That's the way I see it anyway !

In my reply to most post I try to clarify what the other person is trying to say when the post comes off badly to me. I ask myself, should I take what this person is saying personally, if he is replying to a comment I have made, should I just defend myself with a comment or should I just leave it alone and let the steam blow off not knowing what the poster meant by his statement, which may start a war of words.. The one thing I like is accuracy in all things we do. I am a detailed person and I know @Road is the same. I wish every one was as precise with words and actions as people like @Roads, @old_man, @TerryD, @grubworm, Just to name a few of those I feel do a good job. There are others and you know who you are if I have ever responded to your posts.

Please, if what I say here offends you, know that there is no intention of offending anyone. If ever you don't understand what I say, ask for a clarification and your will kindly get it. We wont always agree I can guarantee, but we can discuss or debate it civilly and respectfully or not at all !

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Beer post! What beer post?

i can get with the beer post. A hot blonde/redhead and a cold beer...I've blown many a paycheck on both.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

i can get with the beer post. A hot blonde/redhead and a cold beer...I've blown many a paycheck on both.
I cant remember and for good reason ! You be the judge. LOL

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
A little, but truly spectacular as well.. ......
69.350338, -133.034002
Being from Texas, I know flat and beautiful very well. I hope you had someone with you because it can be very lonely out there in the vast wilderness. When I was a kid I was a cowboy. The boss would leave me out on the ranch 40 miles from the nearest road for weeks at a time. Being alone in the wilderness works on your head, at least mine. The ranch was what is now White Sands Proving Grounds. Love the memories.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Wow. The fact that you can off-road just fine in a van that looks like it has some minor suspension and wheel upgrades does put a different light on things. It's just that, why is this forum filled with highly upgraded Jeeps and other common off-roading type vehicles? A serious lift kit + suspension and wheel upgrades is a lot of money, why are there so many people doing this? I've seen pre-built "overland" Jeeps for $80-100k. Why on Earth would anyone spend that kind of $ on a Jeep when they could be overlanding just fine on pennies in comparison? Am I missing something?
A lot of people enjoy both technical off-roading and overlanding. Brad from Trail Recon is a perfect example of that. He does a lot of rock crawling over insane terrain, but he also loves to do overlanding where the drive isn't as technical, but the journey takes him through some incredible terrain. If you only want to do overlanding, you don't NEED a jeep built up like his, but if you enjoy doing crazy technical stuff as well, it makes sense to run a more built rig.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Being from Texas, I know flat and beautiful very well. I hope you had someone with you because it can be very lonely out there in the vast wilderness. When I was a kid I was a cowboy. The boss would leave me out on the ranch 40 miles from the nearest road for weeks at a time. Being alone in the wilderness works on your head, at least mine. The ranch was what is now White Sands Proving Grounds. Love the memories.
That was from last July (July 1st = Canada Day appropriatly enough). I was with my Wife and our 2 dogs. 8500+km in 3 and a bit weeks. Trip of a lifetime for me. This year I took the dogs (Wife had to work) and spent 2 weeks chasing remote beaches and back country campsites down logging roads on Northern Vancouver Island.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That was from last July (July 1st = Canada Day appropriatly enough). I was with my Wife and our 2 dogs. 8500+km in 3 and a bit weeks. Trip of a lifetime for me. This year I took the dogs (Wife had to work) and spent 2 weeks chasing remote beaches and back country campsites down logging roads on Northern Vancouver Island.
Sounds like a dream come true. That's what overlanding does though !

Reactions: DoggMan1163

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Vehicles are tools. The better and more capable the tool the more you can do with it more efficiently. We may not always have the need for all the capability of the tool but when you do you are glad you have it. I buy a tool based on what I think I will need and I can afford. I bought a 2010 Tacoma because It was the best I felt I could get for my needs and the money I was willing to spend. As I earn more money I put more into upgrades because it's my hobby. Not to show off but for my personal satisfaction.

While I may think someone else who spent more to actually do less isn't right for me, I don't look down upon them or accuse them of being posers.

$20K for audio gear isn't right for me but it is where you choose to spend your hard earned dollars is not for me to question. I'm happy for you that it provides satisfaction to you.

What's important is the music not the gear. For many of us "Overlanders" it's not about the rig it's about the adventure or getting out in nature, or 100 other things that provide personal satisfaction. If setting up the rig is part of that then fantastic! It certainly gives me satisfaction to build out my rig.

I have trips in the planning stages but I could be hit by a bus tomorrow. If I never get to do my long adventures I will die happy knowing I enjoyed seeking (not acheiving) adventure and getting satisfaction and happiness in the process.

Why do you care what I call my activities? Why would I care what you think? I don't do it for you or to impress anyone but myself.

All of this discussion says more about you than it does about us.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

William J. H. Boetcker
Well said

GUTB

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas, TX
First Name
Super
Last Name
Genius
So, let me understand something. Having a lifted, upgraded-suspension 4WD for overlanding by itself doesn't mean you're an overlanding snob, but if say "you're not really capable of overlanding unless you have this" than it is a sign of snobbery?

Do these snobs actually exist? Have any of you guys met such people?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
So, let me understand something. Having a lifted, upgraded-suspension 4WD for overlanding by itself doesn't mean you're an overlanding snob, but if say "you're not really capable of overlanding unless you have this" than it is a sign of snobbery?

Do these snobs actually exist? Have any of you guys met such people?
Simply NO and NO

Reactions: DoggMan1163

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

“Many a paycheck”? You got off easy, a few cold beers & redhead and ended up married with 2 kids and a mortgage:dizzy: