Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hello,

I would like to take advantage of current BF sales to buy some new accessories for a winch. At the moment I only have some D-shackles.
I'm looking for recommendations of what else I should have in my recovery kit, especially something I could use when doing self-recovery.

Thanks!

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Hello,

I would like to take advantage of current BF sales to buy some new accessories for a winch. At the moment I only have some D-shackles.
I'm looking for recommendations of what else I should have in my recovery kit, especially something I could use when doing self-recovery.

Thanks!
Self recovery with winch? Shovel. Tree saver. Snatch block (Ring and soft shackle if you have synthetic line). 20’-30’ tow strap to use as extension cable. Leather gloves. Traction boards would likely be recommended by many folks here but I’ve never found a need for them.

Recovery with the aid of another vehicle and/or to assist another vehicle? Above plus kinetic snatch strap.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I'll throw a winch cable damper blanket into the race. Safety First. Please always realize that recovery is one of the most dangerous situations we overlander get into. Not for nothing there are clear rules and safety regulations in this case (for the so-called ground pull) in the professional area such as forestry.

Speaking of safety. I am a really big fan of my F55 closed winching Flatlink and prefer it to an open hook.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I'll throw a winch cable damper blanket into the race. Safety First. Please always realize that recovery is one of the most dangerous situations we overlander get into. Not for nothing there are clear rules and safety regulations in this case (for the so-called ground pull) in the professional area such as forestry.

Speaking of safety. I am a really big fan of my F55 closed winching Flatlink and prefer it to an open hook.
Forgot to mention that I have a closed hook too.

Reactions: El-Dracho

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Self recovery with winch? Shovel. Tree saver. Snatch block (Ring and soft shackle if you have synthetic line). 20’-30’ tow strap to use as extension cable. Leather gloves. Traction boards would likely be recommended by many folks here but I’ve never found a need for them.

Recovery with the aid of another vehicle and/or to assist another vehicle? Above plus kinetic snatch strap.
Added to the list, any brand you would recommend?

Reactions: El-Dracho

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Added to the list, any brand you would recommend?
Most of my gear is generic big box store stuff from China. The tree saver and tow strap usually see enough use that they fray and have to be replaced most every year. I’ve used name brands in the past for these but they didn’t seem to be more durable enough to justify the increased cost. I do have a Bubba Rope snatch strap that works really well but it’s the only one I have first hand experience with so not sure how good a cheaper option might be.