Protector II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
DeVita
Member #

Hi!

I still haven’t been able to really try any trails yet. The closest I’ve ever come was getting stuck in some overflow grass parking lot after it rained at Fernandez Ranch. 2WD wasn’t getting us anywhere, but switching to the 4WD was like night vs day!

Someday soon tho.. I want to push this Taco of mine a little more.. wife, kids and weather permitting
Don’t lose that spirit! Put a date on the calendar and be sure to pack linch and snacks, that is what I had to do to get my family out to Hollister Hills for my first dirt outing.

If I may suggest a trail that is safe, easy, fun, and really memorable; if you are up to driving out to the central coast, the dirt road that goes around the Bixby Bridge just North of Big Sur is something that may reignite your overlanding spark.

It is around 12 miles of dirt road that connects some very remote properties to HWY 1 and the views are spectacular. Stuff you can see only from getting off pavement. You end up farther South on 1 near Big Sur and you can just take 1 North back to Carmel to go back. Highly recommend it.

igobyjoe

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Rommel
Last Name
Cuevas
Hi!

I still haven’t been able to really try any trails yet. The closest I’ve ever come was getting stuck in some overflow grass parking lot after it rained at Fernandez Ranch. 2WD wasn’t getting us anywhere, but switching to the 4WD was like night vs day!

Someday soon tho.. I want to push this Taco of mine a little more.. wife, kids and weather permitting
Don’t lose that spirit! Put a date on the calendar and be sure to pack linch and snacks, that is what I had to do to get my family out to Hollister Hills for my first dirt outing.

If I may suggest a trail that is safe, easy, fun, and really memorable; if you are up to driving out to the central coast, the dirt road that goes around the Bixby Bridge just North of Big Sur is something that may reignite your overlanding spark.

It is around 12 miles of dirt road that connects some very remote properties to HWY 1 and the views are spectacular. Stuff you can see only from getting off pavement. You end up farther South on 1 near Big Sur and you can just take 1 North back to Carmel to go back. Highly recommend it.
We frequent the Monterey/Carmel areas a lot, actually. Especially during holiday seasons when school is out. Would you mind sending a Google maps link or some sort of map of the trail, please?

Much appreciated!!

RDevita

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
DeVita
Member #

Hi!

We frequent the Monterey/Carmel areas a lot, actually. Especially during holiday seasons when school is out. Would you mind sending a Google maps link or some sort of map of the trail, please?

Much appreciated!!
Here you go! And the reference book I got it from. Hope you can make it out soon, weather is usually amazing in fall

Attachments

Reactions: JaredThomsen

igobyjoe

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Rommel
Last Name
Cuevas
Hi!

Much appreciated!!
Here you go! And the reference book I got it from. Hope you can make it out soon, weather is usually amazing in fall
Did some research last night.. is this the trail?

Also found and bookmarked it on my alltrails app!

Attachments

Reactions: RDevita

RDevita

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
DeVita
Member #

Hi!

Much appreciated!!
Did some research last night.. is this the trail?

Also found and bookmarked it on my alltrails app!
Yes! That is the one.

TrlMixx

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Napa, Napa County, California, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Kramer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6PHL
Hello,

The Old Coast Road / Bixby Bridge is a great road to travel.

I’ve added a link to the GPX files for the Old Coast Road. It starts at Bixby Bridge and Ends at Hwy1 near the Andrew Molera State Park. On your way back toward Bixby Bridge (north) on Hwy1, you can stop at the Point Sur State Historical Park.

Link:

Attachments