igobyjoe

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Rommel
Last Name
Cuevas
Hey all! Totally new to OB. I've been searching through all the threads, but don't think I've seen anyone ask this one yet.

We just bought a 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. It's completely stock, and its ride height is the lower version (there are some stock Tacomas that are set to ride higher... ours isn't that one, sadly).

I just want to see how the 4x4 works on some actual dirt, and all my online searches don't come up with much of anything. The closest one is 2hrs away, and I don't want to drive that far out just to try out this feature and the limited slip diff.

Is there ANYWHERE local where we can go for this?

Reactions: JaredThomsen

igobyjoe

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Rommel
Last Name
Cuevas
Thanks! I'll have to give that place a try.

This is my first time ever trying anything like this; how are the people that go there? Generally nice? Will they be receptive to someone with a family of 4 driving a completely stock Tacoma, and just wanting to try out his 4x4?

Sorry for the late reply.. been one of those weeks so far.. and it's only Tuesday!

Reactions: PapaDave

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Thanks! I'll have to give that place a try.

This is my first time ever trying anything like this; how are the people that go there? Generally nice? Will they be receptive to someone with a family of 4 driving a completely stock Tacoma, and just wanting to try out his 4x4?

Sorry for the late reply.. been one of those weeks so far.. and it's only Tuesday!
Hi Rommel

We have a really great group of people. No attitudes or vehicle intimidation here. We love to get out and meet up each month and usually do about a trip a month. Here’s some info for you, we are meeting this coming Sunday.

BEC96696-7B05-4BA1-9794-375A7D0422E7.jpeg

igobyjoe

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Rommel
Last Name
Cuevas
You guys sound like a really welcoming bunch! :grinning:

Sadly, we're gonna be out of town this weekend, but I look forward to doing a meetup with all of you sometime soon.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
You guys sound like a really welcoming bunch! :grinning:

Sadly, we're gonna be out of town this weekend, but I look forward to doing a meetup with all of you sometime soon.
Not a problem, just change your plans and we’ll see you Sunday! Michael will be guest speaking as well about overlanding

:kissing:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

With all the fires, it's hard to say what's really open and available these days. Most, or all, of my suggestions for actual trails would be 2+hrs from the East Bay as well. That said, Hollister Hills SVRA might be a great option for you, and should be ~1.5hrs from the East Bay. You can stick to the "green" trails (they're marked like ski-slopes, with green dots being the easiest) and test your Taco out. Even the blue squares aren't especially tough. You can find a geo-referenced map here (note that the link on the HH website is broken).

If you download Avenza PDF Maps you can load that geo-referenced HH map into Avenza, and use it to navigate the park and know your location. You can take Garner Flat and McCray Roads all the way up "Hector Heights Overlook" for a great view. Some of those are marked as blue, but I took my bone stock other than +1" BFG KO2s '17 Trailhawk up there with absolutely zero challenge. You can use the 4x4 Obstacle Course to test tougher terrain, without ending up stuck on a Black Diamond trail. Also, over by the Adventure Track there's a tunnel and the tunnel exit is great for testing articulation and your LSD/traction control systems:

Pics up at the Overlook:
1633551967861.png
1633551995247.png
1633552012689.png

-TJ

igobyjoe

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Rommel
Last Name
Cuevas
With all the fires, it's hard to say what's really open and available these days. Most, or all, of my suggestions for actual trails would be 2+hrs from the East Bay as well. That said, Hollister Hills SVRA might be a great option for you, and should be ~1.5hrs from the East Bay. You can stick to the "green" trails (they're marked like ski-slopes, with green dots being the easiest) and test your Taco out. Even the blue squares aren't especially tough. You can find a geo-referenced map here (note that the link on the HH website is broken).

If you download Avenza PDF Maps you can load that geo-referenced HH map into Avenza, and use it to navigate the park and know your location. You can take Garner Flat and McCray Roads all the way up "Hector Heights Overlook" for a great view. Some of those are marked as blue, but I took my bone stock other than +1" BFG KO2s '17 Trailhawk up there with absolutely zero challenge. You can use the 4x4 Obstacle Course to test tougher terrain, without ending up stuck on a Black Diamond trail. Also, over by the Adventure Track there's a tunnel and the tunnel exit is great for testing articulation and your LSD/traction control systems:

Pics up at the Overlook:
View attachment 211850
View attachment 211851
View attachment 211852

-TJ
Very informative - thanks, TJ!

Nice Jeep, too! Those pictures... are those considered green and blue trails?! Sweet Jesus... I might be underestimating our new family car, but I'm not yet too confident in what it can/can't do. The fact that it rides kind of low creeps me out; I'm hesitant to take it on anything like that video you posted. But as stated before, totally new to overlanding and the wheeling that it can sometimes come with, so what do I truly know? LOL

truck.jpg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Nice Jeep, too! Those pictures... are those considered green and blue trails?! Sweet Jesus... I might be underestimating our new family car, but I'm not yet too confident in what it can/can't do. The fact that it rides kind of low creeps me out; I'm hesitant to take it on anything like that video you posted. But as stated before, totally new to overlanding and the wheeling that it can sometimes come with, so what do I truly know? LOL

View attachment 211870
As I said, that section in the video is the exit of the tunnel over by the "adventure park" and is not part of a marked trail, or if it is it'd be a black diamond. The pictures, on the other hand, are green or blue trails. Again, for clarity, the video is of a section of challenging terrain I took on that is not part of the trail up to the Overlook. The Overlook is all green, or perhaps blue but was nothing like that video and I'd say any stock 4x4 can easily make it up there.

-TJ

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

.......is great for testing articulation and your LSD/traction control systems......:
......Does anything that needs traction control actually have articulation? (I couldn't resist!)

2nd the comment that there is plenty to pick your comfort level at Hollister Hills off road park. There is a large and a small playground, and a nice washout at the base of Truck Hill as well as the Tunnel on the buggy course and many other spots where you can play but will not block a point to point trail if you get hung up or need to back out.

Articulation or lockers/Traction control and lift are your friend. Plenty for a stock 4x4 to test on though. Knowing your limits and learning how to figure out lines will take a stock 4x4 pretty darn far. Most green or blue trails are good for a stock 4x4 and a means to get from one place in the park to another. Testing limits in the playgrounds at least leads to easy access and recovery if needed.

I only have a sagging 2 1/2 inch lift and 30.5 tires, so I'd say in comparison the wheelbase will be the limiter for your rig. At the playgrounds there are a number of obstacles where you can ease up to and find the limit, then back off.
Use your head and reverse, not the go faster pedal, and you should be just fine. Stopping and looking under the vehicle is a huge help. Bring a tarp for kneeing or laying down when you stop and check for clearance. It is VERY dusty there.

Hollister Hills should be a nice day outing from the East bay. $5 per vehicle for the day ain't bad either!

Pictures are not the green or blue trails, but optional fun spots as TJ pointed out.

1633644051463.png
1633644169511.png

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

......Does anything that needs traction control actually have articulation? (I couldn't resist!)

2nd the comment that there is plenty to pick your comfort level at Hollister Hills off road park. There is a large and a small playground, and a nice washout at the base of Truck Hill as well as the Tunnel on the buggy course and many other spots where you can play but will not block a point to point trail if you get hung up or need to back out.

Articulation or lockers/Traction control and lift are your friend. Plenty for a stock 4x4 to test on though. Knowing your limits and learning how to figure out lines will take a stock 4x4 pretty darn far. Most green or blue trails are good for a stock 4x4 and a means to get from one place in the park to another. Testing limits in the playgrounds at least leads to easy access and recovery if needed.

I only have a sagging 2 1/2 inch lift and 30.5 tires, so I'd say in comparison the wheelbase will be the limiter for your rig. At the playgrounds there are a number of obstacles where you can ease up to and find the limit, then back off.
Use your head and reverse, not the go faster pedal, and you should be just fine. Stopping and looking under the vehicle is a huge help. Bring a tarp for kneeing or laying down when you stop and check for clearance. It is VERY dusty there.

Hollister Hills should be a nice day outing from the East bay. $5 per vehicle for the day ain't bad either!

Pictures are not the green or blue trails, but optional fun spots as TJ pointed out.

View attachment 211937
View attachment 211938
The WJ looks great flexin!

I think this is the washout at the base of Truckhill you were talking about:
Jeep1.jpg

-TJ

TrlMixx

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Napa, Napa County, California, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Kramer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6PHL
Just to test the 4x4, try going out to Carnegie OHV in Livermore.
I might be out there Friday. Friend wants to do the exact same thing and try out his new Badlands Bronco. Never off-roaded before, just a bit of snow.
If we go I’ll post when.
I believe the Badlands is the straight axle?

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
Just to test the 4x4, try going out to Carnegie OHV in Livermore.
I might be out there Friday. Friend wants to do the exact same thing and try out his new Badlands Bronco. Never off-roaded before, just a bit of snow.
If we go I’ll post when.
I believe the Badlands is the straight axle?
Still IFS. Comes with 35” tires and lockers. Still has the new car smell but he wants to know how to operate the rig before he gets stuck not knowing.

Reactions: TrlMixx

RDevita

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
DeVita
Member #

Pics up at the Overlook:
View attachment 211850
View attachment 211851
View attachment 211852

-TJ

View attachment 211870
Hey, Joe! Did you ever get your Tacoma in some dirt? If so, where did you end up going?

igobyjoe

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Rommel
Last Name
Cuevas
Hi!

I still haven’t been able to really try any trails yet. The closest I’ve ever come was getting stuck in some overflow grass parking lot after it rained at Fernandez Ranch. 2WD wasn’t getting us anywhere, but switching to the 4WD was like night vs day!

Someday soon tho.. I want to push this Taco of mine a little more.. wife, kids and weather permitting