Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Ok, so quite a lot of us have various cameras and associated lenses and kit etc...

Who uses a drone? What make/model and why did you choose that one.

And.......... importantly, how do you rate the quality of the video and stills it produces?

TheWitchAndTheWoodsman

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Emeryville, CA
Member #

I've got a DJI Mavic Pro. For me, it's a great balance of portability, easy flight, and great image/video quality. The whole thing packs down into a bag about the size of a brown paper lunch sack, including the controller, three batteries, spare propellers, and a set of ND filters. The camera itself has a bit of a learning curve (it has a bit of trouble with lower light as you can see in the grainy, high iso image at the bottom), but it's incredibly stable in flight and the tiny size makes up for it.

Here's a few images and a link to a video:

California countryside video

untitled shoot-2017-002-2.jpg

DJI_0980.jpg

untitled shoot-2017-001-4.jpg

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Thanks for the reply and info @TheWitchAndTheWoodsman , even the low light image is pretty good for the size of camera.
I think I've more or less decided on the DJI Mavic Pro, for very much the same reasons of size and portability.
Having watched many drone comparison videos and reviews, I'm not sure it's worth spending the extra on a Phantom for the kind of shots I'm after.

Reactions: Voodoo 1

TheWitchAndTheWoodsman

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Emeryville, CA
Member #

You might want to wait a day or two before pickup up a drone. DJI has been teasing a new drone model for a while now and has scheduled a big release broadcast for tomorrow afternoon. From what I've read, it'll sit somewhere between the Mavic Pro and the Spark in terms of size, portability, and capability.

Reactions: Steve

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

You might want to wait a day or two before pickup up a drone. DJI has been teasing a new drone model for a while now and has scheduled a big release broadcast for tomorrow afternoon. From what I've read, it'll sit somewhere between the Mavic Pro and the Spark in terms of size, portability, and capability.
That's the sort of thing that worries me ....... :mask:

Reactions: del123

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Ohhhh..... I suspect a Mavic Pro update might be on the horizon based on the camera specs on that thing. That is tempting.

I've really been into my Mavic Pro since we bought it.

We traveled full-time for two years, and I avoided buying a drone, thinking it was gimicky and that I wouldn't use it that often. And now I severely regret that decision. Luckily when we get back on the road to travel again full-time this summer I'll have my Mavic Pro.

But it also got me back into videography and photography. And I've really been enjoying the hobby. Worthwhile investment IMO.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I'm still flying a DJI Phantom 1.1.1 and enjoy every minute of it. I just installed a better Gimbal for my Gopro and fell in love with the thing over again. In fact, I am going to fly it when I get home from work today! haha

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Casey Neistat has a video comparing all the DJI models and there’s another woman on YouTube who has been comparing all the models including the Air. Guys, I think I’m going to go with the air - from what it looks like the air doesn’t lose any video quality, in fact it’s slightly better in regards to bits. I like how much more compact it is, the controller is better equipped to take up less space, and I dig the hand gestures that you can use with the air. Additionally, the price point for the Air is less than the mavic pro. That’s my two cents on the subject. I’ve been really looking forward to capturing my adventures aerially.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
You're on much the same wavelength as me. But I do wonder if the next generation Pro will have the better camera.

Reactions: del123

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Hmmm..... wifi control may have some range issues.
Right it's definitely limited when in Wi-Fi mode vs RC. It's like browsing on your phone using wifi or you data plan - one is going to work in more places than your home wifi connection.

But I don't know what more can be said on the Mavic. It's super compact compared to the Phantoms but big enough to not get buffered in the wind unlike the smaller Spark. I've had my Mavic for over a year and really enjoy flying it. Quality in terms of pictures, video, and controlling is all great. Plus it got me into some intro video editing which has been fun to learn. People/friends always like it when I bring it out. I heard the 2nd gen Mavic is coming out in June but may be July. I know the original Mavic got pushed out for a while as well. DJI is probably the best brand to go with.

Here is a link to one of my videos - Freeman Park at Carolina Beach, NC
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nPTY48zjQ2I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: nickburt

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

im using a yuneece q500. Havn't used it yet this summer, i unfortunatly i left both my batteries in my truck overnight when camping in -30deg weather...their toast.