Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I use aCar as well and enter the transaction data on the notes so I have my warranty info if I need it. It also tracks fuel mileage so I can see when I'm having issues as well.

I considered a spreadsheet but I just don't use a home computer very often these days. My phone is the PDA I dreamed of having ass a child.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I don't really keep a log book of that kind. But I do keep all the invoice's of things I buy for the rig (even if it is just for warranty). Also the factory logbook in the rig gets filled in when it gets maintenance at the dealer. And for slight mods and stuff I can always look back on my social media pages to check dates and stuff :P

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I keep a log of the milage I tow the jeep with the RV, the engine might not be running but the milage still registers on the odometer. Also keep all maintenance for quick reference.

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

Good Lord, and I thought I was anal.

I keep all receipts and note date/mileage, but no spreadsheet.

Do you folks keep those tidy journals for your own benefit or have you seen higher trade-in/re-sale values from keeping details to that degree?
I live full time in my Jeep, so for me it's more about just keeping a track record of any 'symptoms' or issues the Jeeps having :) I haven't tried to re-sell my Jeep, but that would be cool if keeping a journal nets a higher re-sale value.

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

I am with you on the hardcopies of service and mileage, but haven’t taken it as far as some with the spread sheets and electronic logging.

I keep data logs/service papers for resale value, and personal reasons... a 3 ring on a rig shows pride of ownership, organization and responsibility — all virtues an “overlander” should exemplify.

For the tech guys I would advise a classic approach with less emphasis on data entry, what happens when the computer crashes? Aren’t we all here to disengage from the electronic hustle of the modern world?

That being said, I fully appreciate your OCD.
In this case, the data is actually stored through a web-application so its not dependent on any single device (Its "in the cloud" O.o). I'm not here to specifically disengage from the electronic hustle, as I live and work (code) in the Jeep, but I do agree with the three ring methodology as well. I like to be able to update records from my phone/ any other device, even if I'm not with the journal.

Reactions: Road and nickburt

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

I keep a Maintenance Note on my iPhone and use the Toyota Service History website to document any service done.

I kept an iPhone Maintenance Note with my former Tacoma and when I sold it, the guy thanked me for keeping the records.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Does anyone else keep a journal of things that they do to their vehicle? I log every time I make a change to the Jeep and include the miles, date, type, cost, and any notes to give a detailed account as to what was changed.

Here's an example of my journal, what does yours look like? What other fields should I include and keep track of?
@WesAdvance,

I use an access database. It works well and allows me to track multiple vehicals. I also go old school and try to have the mantaince log in the owners manual stamped by the dealer if I have them do anything.

- Tyler

Reactions: WesAdvance
D

donuteater

Well it seems like I need to switch over to the digital world. I keep up with everything in a spiral notebook in my glove box but that seems to be quite the outdated approach.

Reactions: Aussie571 and TRT87

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm using an app called "Notion", I use it for literally... everything in my life :P Its awesome for Notes, Wiki, Project Management, etc. This same log could be done in Excel/Numbers or any other structured database software. :)
Great suggestion on the app, @WesAdvance - going to try it out fora number of other things, too, like articles, short fiction, projects, etc.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Good Lord, and I thought I was anal.

I keep all receipts and note date/mileage, but no spreadsheet.

Do you folks keep those tidy journals for your own benefit or have you seen higher trade-in/re-sale values from keeping details to that degree?
Can't say mine is all that tidy, and definitely not a spreadsheet or anal at all really, though is all in one place (ha, usually) that I can get to from any number of devices. I keep records of my vehicle details for my own use, not re-sale, and have found it quite helpful numerous times when referring back to a service, repair, or other tidbit.

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

Great suggestion on the app, @WesAdvance - going to try it out fora number of other things, too, like articles, short fiction, projects, etc.
Awesome! If you end up paying for the 'pro' version, message them in app and tell them Wes Vance referred you and they will give you a discount (I've been with the company for a while, its come a LONG way).

Reactions: Road